Aperatifs

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Aperitifs

I thought they were French dentures

Ian
:wink: :lol: :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Moliere wrote:
... do you find that by and large your expectations of people are matched by the actuality?
Interesting question. The picture you build of your guests based on their emails and phone calls usually mirrors their personalites in the flesh. 'Difficult and demanding', 'relaxed and informal', 'friendly and disorganised', 'likely to be a nightmare' - it's all there if you look and listen closely enough. Even the ones (our biggest problem) who don't supervise their feral children give themselves away with comments like 'will there be enough to keep the kids amused'. And the ones who are grateful - and express their gratitude - for the efforts you make on their behalf pre-booking are always the nicest of all.

One of the essential skills for a gite owner is to be able to unearth the odd 'wrong-un' using the skimpiest of clues. As to who is the luckiest - it depends on the quality of the guests and that varies week on week!

Jim (Inspector Clouseau in his day job)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote: a gite owner is to be able to unearth the odd 'wrong-un' using the skimpiest of clues.
It would be cool to have some examples of skimpy clues Jimbo. And have you ever been pleasantly surprised when guests turn up?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jimbo wrote: As to who is the luckiest - it depends on the quality of the guests and that varies week on week!
It isn't the end of the season yet, so I probably shouldn't say anything, but this years guests have all, without exception, been wonderful - and there have been a lot of them as we've been full from the end of March. No feral children at all, either. I've thoroughly enjoyed my job this year and a lot of it is down to the 'gentillesse' (I can't bring myself to say niceness as it is so bland) of the guests.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

It isn't the end of the season yet, so I probably shouldn't say anything, but this years guests have all, without exception, been wonderful - and there have been a lot of them as we've been full from the end of March. No feral children at all, either. I've thoroughly enjoyed my job this year and a lot of it is down to the (I can't bring myself to say niceness as it is so bland) of the guests.
Good for you Susan :!: I know how hard you work at looking after your guests and Im sure that helps with the way they react to you..Hope the rest of the season carries on like this for you :wink: :) ..'gentillesse'..that is a lovely word isnt it :) ...
enid

Post by enid »

.'gentillesse'..that is a lovely word isnt it
It is isn't it - there are a lot of words that don't translate so meaningfully into English. We're having that sort of summer too LV and cherry on the cake is my daughter's been able to squeez some extra time here coming today until Thursday.

Hope the eason continues in the same vein :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Jimbo You made interesting points[as always]
One of the essential skills for a gite owner is to be able to unearth the odd 'wrong-un' using the skimpiest of clues
But even if we do figure em out after theyve booked, apart from Bracing ourselves....[especially the ones on site] and making sure everything is tip top of course how would this help....
We would be stuck with 'em but I spose we would be ready to fend off some of their more unreasonable requests...
At the risk of tempting fate I must say that Ive been really lucky to date this year as well....
The best feedback and most rebookings[though some cant get rebooked as were already booked]
Maybe it isnt luck after all... maybe its the fact that the more we get into this 'game' the better we are at it..
a few little niggles that people had last year...one being the famous 'melting chairs'[or should that be infamous :roll: ]
I resolved... so that wasnt a problem this year..so maybe thats why the guests seem less trouble cos weve ironed out some little wrinkles... :wink:
Food for thought anyway... :roll:
enid

Post by enid »

I think you are right Ros - as time goes by you get better at providing what guests want and also you keep adding to and refining your property so that improves too. Your houses have an impressive booking record Ros and much of this is down to how you furnished and equipped them I'm sure.We have had clients every year since we started and they always comment on the additions since their previous visit.

For those forum members who have posted about their first season it is useful to remember that you will build your reputation over time and word of mouth is a great recommendation. :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Maybe it isnt luck after all... maybe its the fact that the more we get into this 'game' the better we are at it..
What I should have said as well of course is the more we read ...and contribute to posts on here and then get feedback..the more we learn :) ..
I know I have.. and continue to do so...
so this Forum and the Forumers on it Im sure have a big part to play in any success we might have..
Lots of things Ive implemented since I started has been because of people on here giving their views and tips that theyve learnt over the years and unselfishly shared
So playing this 'game' has got easier because Ive got all you lot on my team..how Great is that :!:
..thanks Teammates[or should that be Playmates :D [I thank you[Arthur Askey]and I know I showing my age :roll:]
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It would be cool to have some examples of skimpy clues ...
Crikey GG, how long how you got? Here's a few which guarantee the enquirer will be dispatched into the ether.

1. Dodgy email address (we had tricky69@ recently - yeah, right!)
2. Anyone who's first question is ' what's your best price?' (they're instant toast).
3. Anyone trying to book our biggest gites together who makes no mention of children (hopefully not igniting THAT debate again).
4. Anyone who calls me 'Jim' from the kick-off but insists on
'Lord', 'Doctor', 'Father' for themselves. (Don't patronise me, baby).
5. Anyone with a Royal title or triple/double-barrelled name. (I'm a card-carrying Trot)
6. Anyone who can't spell, use capital letters or conjugate verbs (yes, I know about non-native speakers but I can easily identify them).
7. Anyone that I don't like (it's my property).
... have you ever been pleasantly surprised when guests turn up?
Yes. The guests I like best are the ones who smile/laugh a lot, who 'fess up when things get broken in common areas, who swim in the rain and claim they're enjoying it, who don't make a big fuss about small things, who say 'what lovely dogs' when they're barking at the postman, who say 'do come and have a glass of something' and who are just lots of fun to have around.
... this years guests have all, without exception, been wonderful ...
LV, we've had the opposite. After two brilliant years, we've had three large parties this year who've been troublesome. It's the big groups, I think, the herd mentality takes over.

Jim
Last edited by Jimbo on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

No. 1 made me smile Jimbo.
I had an enquiry from someone called 'KillBill' & thought crikey :shock:
It progressed to a booking & he turned out to be the most loveliest of men!

Mind you...he was a Wigan supporter so Mr Mouse wasn't happy (that would be No 1 on his list :lol: :lol: )

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Jim, I love that, esp "anyone I don't like, it's my property". Exactly!! :lol:

I rarely meet my guests, the few i have met have been lovely and one set "The Glakes", er well, glakey. They forgot to tell us they wanted the single bed made up and they needed the high chair. :roll:

From another thread "tyre kickers". One of my favourites is for someone like the creepy guy who turned up alone "Pope shooters". Hopefully none of us will get any of those.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Good list Jimbo!

I would add:

How do I know I can trust you?

and

Do you leave lots of free stuff in the kitchen?
(not exact wording, but that's what he meant - one of the first things he did on arrival was go through the cupboards checking that everything I had said was there was actually there :evil: .)

On the whole though, this year's guests have been great so far :).
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Slightly more OT on this Off topic bit :wink:
But Hubby always worries about a job if people keep saying..Ive got the money ..let me know when you wont it :roll: .....
every day hes on a Plumbing job..
yep youve got it... the only 2 times[which aint bad in 25 years]
he hasnt been paid... thats what was said : :x
..wondered what theyd say if he said 'OK pay me before I do the work'... :wink:
You do get a feel for folk dont ya!!!
enid

Post by enid »

Yes. The guests I like best are the ones who smile/laugh a lot, who 'fess up when things get broken in common areas, who swim in the rain and claim they're enjoying it, who don't make a big fuss about small things, who say 'what lovely dogs' when they're barking at the postman, who say 'do come and have a glass of something' and who are just lots of fun to have around.
Great comment. We had a family arrive yesterday from Staffordshire - today it is blistery and showers and sun mingled. When Isaw them earlier they said - but it's so peaceful the weather can't spoil it for us and now they have taken the dogs for a walk - the children love dogs but it's just not practical for them to have one at home. So yes - this kind of guest is a dream to have. :)
Mind you...he was a Wigan supporter so Mr Mouse wasn't happy (that would be No 1 on his list Laughing Laughing )
Is that rugby or football? - I'm a Wigan lass and a rugby fan so I hope he won't put me at number one!! :cry: