Letting to big groups

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Letting to big groups

Post by la vache! »

Jimbo said
It's the big groups, I think, the herd mentality takes over.
This is really for peope who let out more than one house at a time - do you let to big groups and if so do you have different conditions for letting?
I am getting more and more requests for letting all 3 cottages together. I had one bad experience last year and said I wouldn't do it again, but I don't want to turn down off peak bookings, so have taken quite a few subsequently and touch wood, they have all been OK. I specify that I do not expect inventory to be moved from one cottage to another, or if it is it must be replaced by the end of the holiday. I always take a good security deposit too and never give reductions (why do some people think they are doing you a favour by booking all 3 cottages - why do they expect a 3 for the price of 2 deal?). If I could, I'd charge extra for groups.
Family group bookings tend to be better behaved than groups of friends.
enid

Post by enid »

I'm interested in this too Susan as I am just rethinking our offering for next year - the two cottages can take 12 and we have an inside dining room that can seat 12.
J&J

Post by J&J »

The biggest problem we had, when we let all three houses twice last year, was items becoming mixed up between the houses. I spent an hour and a half getting wine glasses, champagne glasses, coffee mugs, plates, cutlery etc. all back in the right houses. I would do it again (out of peak season) but I would insist on a 9am departure time instead of the usual 10am. Arrival time can also be a problem if they decide to arrive early - one house arriving early usually isn't a problem but three is impossible. Make it clear that they should not even think about arriving before 4pm even "just to drop off the luggage and shopping".

Then, there is the extra cost to consider, that's two consecutive weekends with a three house changeover. For us that means the additional cost of extra help (I think you said it's the same for you). Off peak I suppose it's worth that to have the bookings but I certainly wouldn't consider any reduction in rental cost !

One lot we had last year brought everything with them from Tesco in England (including wine!) so they could spend the whole time together and didn't have to go out shopping. That's all very well but having them around all week not going out makes the houses more grubby. What's more they also used their English toilet paper from Tesco and managed to block the fosse septique up with it so we had the extra cost of a pump out a couple of weeks later.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Even I have had a problem with items going missing to other apartments in the building, and I only own one of them. We rented our place to a couple of 30 something ladies last January. They were with friends (who were actually our first guests) who were staying in the larger apartment upstairs. I guess ours as much better equipped, as corkscrew, bottle opener, wine glasses and several plates and serving dishes needed to be rescued. Fortunately, our manager and thiers are friendly, and sorted it out.I have put something in the t&C's now. However if you have a large room that will sit them all, an excellent idea, as long as there are sufficient plates etc provided without taking them from house to house.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

What's the problem with English toilet paper?? :shock:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

English toilet paper doesn't break down properly in a fosse septique. It just stays there and can block everything up.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

J&J in Brittany wrote:The biggest problem we had, when we let all three houses twice last year, was items becoming mixed up between the houses.
That is my biggest problem too, and the reason I take a good security deposit. It isn't just the larger items, like chairs, but once I found all the bread knives in one house. I've no idea why. As the cleaning and sorting out usually takes extra time (and there is always a full 3 house changeover as J&J have said) I would really like to charge extra. I certainly never give a discount.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Andrex or any quilted toilet paper doesn't break down in a UK septic tank either - you need recycled paper or the really cheap supermarket stuff.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And isn't that Aloe Vera loo paper horrible, I had a really nasty experience with it recently.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We've just come to the end of a five week period where both the properies (well the ones on the same site) were taken together. I would say the resulats have been mixed.

On the plus side - no need to worry about whether the two groups will get on. Generally self sufficient (enough adults around to do al the cooking etc). Everyone had a good time.

On the minus side - extra time taken to reorganise the property. One group left the place in an attrocious state (the worst I've ever seen) I think because everyone thinks it is someone elses job.

On the whole I would say I prefer the properties to be let together. We are thinking of adding an extra table inside one of the properties so everyone can eat together inside (they can already eat outside under a covered area). I am also thinking of adding extra crockery and cutlery so less is moved around.

We can sleep 20 in both properties, which not alot of people can do, so I really think it is worth pushing.

Ju
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

HelenB wrote:And isn't that Aloe Vera loo paper horrible, I had a really nasty experience with it recently.
The mind boggles, Helen!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Gascony Goat wrote:
HelenB wrote:And isn't that Aloe Vera loo paper horrible, I had a really nasty experience with it recently.
The mind boggles, Helen!
GG - I guess someone had to say it.

HB - come on, you've whetted our appetites, now come clean or I'll set BigSis on you!

Mols :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Moliere wrote: now come clean
:lol: Wish I could think of a response to that!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had a nasty and recurring bout of cystitis, which turned out not to be that at all, but a reaction to the aloe vera loo roll :oops:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ouch Helen - is that anything like Sistitis? :wink: :D