Heating in August?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
remote

Heating in August?

Post by remote »

Hello there
Haven't been on line for a while as this year has not been a good one for various reasons, nothing to do with my gite - last straw is that the combine's engine blew up, but that's another story.
Reason I'm here is to ask for advice. My poolman has just mailed to say that my guests say they are cold and want the heating on. I do know that south Charente is rainy today but my cleaner said that when she went in the house on Thursday it was very warm with the shutters closed for cool. Its a large old farmhouse (with thick walls which cool down and warm up slowly.) She says she has a long sleved T-shirt on today. Although I sent them contact numbers for myself and my cleaner , and they are in the info folder,they said to the poolman that they didn't have a number and gave him theirs. I don't really budget for heating in the summer - I only let for 6 weeks a year. Should I tell them how to turn it on and ask for extra money? This is a 4 bedroom, large open plan living area- altogether 250m2 - so expensive to heat. What do you think I should do - will bide by general consensus.
Many thanks
Mandy
A turkey is not just for Christmas
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Not knowing the area or type of building I can't advise if they're being unreasonable...but if you do tell them that they can have heating but it will be an additional charge you can be sure that will focus the mind and they'll then only have heating if it's really necessary.

I would think that's reasonable if the area you're in is normally warm (as you can't base your prices on 'freak' weather conditions)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Some folk really feel the cold more than others, me for example! My hub Dave walked around with a thin jacket on in the Alps when I had ski jacket etc on.

If it were me I'd be miffed if I couldn't switch some heating on. Extra price, hmmm. I'd not expect to pay if it hadn't been mentioned in advance.

Might just be me on this one though as I know we all have different policies on electricity/gas. Oh, is there a portable heater that can be taken around?
remote

Post by remote »

Thanks Mousie
It's an old stone farmhouse on one level with much of it dry lined and with good insulation in the loft. What should I charge? Any ideas? I haven't a clue how much oil we use a week, we just top up the tank a couple of times a year. I don't want to be unreasonable. I think that many people Charente is the south of France when actually its more like southern England (but gets hotter). Also tiled floors can take getting use to.
We've found that if you drink enough wine you don't notice the cold. ( only teasing!)
Mandy
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Is it really that cold for them to want the heating on....in August? I know that even when we had wet weather in England during August, it was never cold enough to warrant turning the heating on! On the otherhand I agree with Mouse to question whether they are being unreasonable as the type of building may reflect the ambient temperature. Maybe our LMHatters in France can help with this dilema?
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I did a quick weather lookup, not sure if I got the correct area of Charente, but the lows were in the 50's and highs in the 60's? Brrr, that's a bit nippy!! If electric was included in their rental cost I personally wouldn't ask for heating money, same for hot weather too, I couldn't penalise my guests for having to use more of the air conditioning on freaky 100+ degree days.
remote

Post by remote »

Hi Sue
I can see what you mean. I'm just scared that they'll turn it on, the sun will come out tomorrow and they'll just open all the doors and windows. Afraid that we don't have a portable heater - it wouldn't make much of an inprint in the main room. Do have a fireplace which was left ready to light. Only problem is that there aren't any more logs cut. Last August the weather was awful and we had a family with 2 small children and they never asked for heating. I don't know why they haven't contacted me. Also they complained that they weren't met. I send detailed instructions on how to get to the house and where the key is hidden with my phone number and that of my cleaner. At no point do I say they will be met. I leave a very detailed file in the house with details about how everything works and our numbers again. It is left beside a complimentary bottle of wine - maybe they drank the wine and so didn't look!
enid

Post by enid »

We're a bit further south and it's cold today - K nearly lit a fire - but its' going to be very hot by the weekend. I think they may need a bit of heating as the temp really has slumped.
J&J

Post by J&J »

It has been quite chilly here in Brittany today (showing 12 degrees this afternoon) and, to be honest, I have had the electric fan heater on for an hour or so this evening as it's pouring too. We are waiting for the knock on the door from the guests to ask for heating! Can't really refuse under the circumstances, but we might suggest a roaring log fire first to give the place a glow.

Judith
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I had guests using the heating in June - and I wouldn't blame them if they switched it on now. I don't charge extra because electricity is very cheap for me in summer. If they want some wood, it is available. It isn't cold enough for me to have heating, but it is so damp that I completely understand why some guests would want heating on. My neighbours have had their open fire chimney going all week.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well it's blumming freezing here and we've got the heating on :cry:
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Again, I think it is individuals and it is difficult to make an across the board judgement. I've worked places where the heating didn't go on until end Oct and off end March no matter what the weather was like. In fact, I have a microwave hot water bottle at work I use as my colleagues don't feel the cold as much as me.

I think on holiday especially I like to be comfortable, that's why I would want the heating on. I've switched mine on low now (okay, North of England) cos my feet are freezing.

The thing that always annoys me is when people say in an incredulous tone - "you can't be cold".... well, yeah, I am - why would I make it up??!!!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

motefarm wrote: I'm just scared that they'll turn it on, the sun will come out tomorrow and they'll just open all the doors and windows.
Possibly, Motefarm, you could say, yes the weather is unseasonably cold, by all means have the heating on, but please be aware of turning it off again when the weather warms up; to this end, the first xx Euros of heating will be free and included in your rental, but after that I shall ask you for an excess (of course I shall send you a detailed bill).

On the other hand if we are only talking about 30 or 40 Euros - is it worth losing the goodwill? I would tend to think that a sympathetic attitude (the cool weather is no more their fault than yours) might win you friends and recommendations. As the old business saying has it - it's far easier to lose a customer than to gain one!

Not easy this one, my hunch would be to err on the generous side.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't charge for heating, it really only amounts to 30€ a week if the rads are on constantly. It is goodwill, and after all, we don't usually get a summer as cool as this. It is 12°C here and raining at the moment, personally I'd be too hot with heating, but I have a fleece on. As Mols said, for the goodwill, is it worth asking for such a small amount of money?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I Have electric Rads in the houses so If they use em in the summer or winter I wouldnt know..It has been cold an weve had the heating on
..I agree with the others.. It is a bit annoying that you will have to pay for heating in August..but so is this unseasonably cold weather were having in UK and France..
and do you really want their memories of this holiday to be[do you remember that house where we were sooo cold] :x
Im sure theyve been disappointed about the weather anyway and are trying to make the best of it..I would let them have the heating and swallow the cost :roll: ...