site review

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
eamonn

site review

Post by eamonn »

Hi guys
I'm really new to this as you can see.
My property isn't even finished yet, but I figured I'd get my feet wet anyway. Any feedback would be appreciated.
http://www.culandoonhousedonegal.com
Eamonn
i,ve been everywhere man!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Eamonn,

Wow! I think your Header really had me impressed - great colours (including the emerald) and graphics too. Perhaps you could PM me with the name of the designer?

I also like the slow fade changing photos (although personally I don't like anything moving on the page), although one of the photos seemed a bit dark and could be lightened or changed? The other photos on the site are also very tempting.

And on the subject of moving images, I don't like the moving advertisements on the page, they distract me from reading about your property. Think hard about whether you really need all the Links and advertisements on your home page and every other page, they are just tempting people to move to another site? I would remove them and put them on one seperate page for Links only.

You have made a great start - can't wait to see the prices and availablility too.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hello and welcome,

I am in the same position as you. I have an apartment in Spain that will be ready in May 2005 but the property isnt finished yet.

Like you I decided to put my apartment up for rent prior to the build being finished BUT as lots of people quite rightly have pointed out that can put ALOT of people off.

I have used an artists image of the property but I did debate on this site about using photos of the build as it is at the moment. I think your right in using the photo of the build as it stands. Guests will recognise that its a real property that they could rent.

I liked the site. As you are using the up to date photo of the property showing it half built I would beef up the home page with details about how the build is going and why you deicded to build in this area to get customers on board with your vision! You could also put a counter on the home page of days to go before the property is complete.

There are some great ideas on this site. You have struck gold finding it.

Hope I have been of help.

Sarah

PS I have had bookings even though the apartment isnt ready yet.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Eamonn and welcome to the Forum. Hope that the building work is going well! It looks like you are going to have a beautiful house when it's finished.

I also liked your website, although I found it took a while to load. The following are my comments from a non-techie perspective! Hope they are useful.

1. Why is there a google search facility at the bottom of your page? This could encourage visitors to your website to search for other properties .....

2. It would be helpful to have some indication of when the photo of your house under construction was taken so that potential guests know it has progressed since then. Unless, of course, the photo was taken last week :shock: .

3. You have got a lot of text on your home page which provides excellent info but is difficult to read. Can you break it up into shorter paragraphs - and maybe a font that is easier to read?

4. Your contact details are hidden at the bottom of the home page. I would suggest you move them to the green section on the left hand side of each page to give people maximum possibilities to contact you.

Good luck. Hope all goes well from May.
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Hi Christine
Thank you for the advise,it seems I did get a little carried away with the reciprocal links.Changes have been made.
Take another look when you get a chance.
I visited your site, I wouldn't change a thing, you have a beautiful property and a well built and informative site.
eamonn
i,ve been everywhere man!
Tykatem

Post by Tykatem »

Hi Eamonn

good looking site but took awhile to load even with broadband.

1. Have you considered breaking up the text a bit on the home page, as it's quite a lot to take in all in one go.

2. I'd tend to move your reciprocal links to another page, hog the limelight to yourself.

3. Will prospective customers be put off seeing a picture of a half built property, ie worrying that it won't be finished in time for their stay.

I'm no expert on these matters, but I thought i'd share my thoughts with you.

Pete

http://www.Tykatem.co.uk
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Eamonn - and well done on making changes already! Make sure you take the time to break up the text on the home page as it is a big block of info to digest ... and could put some folk off.

Thank you for your kind comments on our websites - both designed on advice and info gleaned from the LaymyHat Forum and with significant help from various Forum members. There's a lot of helpful people out there!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Eamonn,

Looks like I missed some of the initial stages of your site while I was away -- but let me have a go at what you have.

I agree that your top banner is very attractive! I'm not sure that the Flash is really necessary, but as long as it doesn't delay your page-loading very much, it's probably fine.

I recommend making your page text a slightly darker shade of green. I very much like the color scheme you're going for, but the green you're using now is perhaps too low-contrast. Something a bit darker can still stick with your color scheme and also be effortless to read.

I actually find the first image on your homepage a bit off-putting, since it's taken on what appears to be a very dreary day. Sunny days or no pictures, always! :)

I love that your contact information is at the bottom of every page!

Your availability calendar is very easy to use -- but what's the function of the links to each individual day? That seems like it would be very appropriate for a daily calendar of events and appointments, but not so much for a house calendar. The available/reserved question is resolved on the calendar view, and clicking the links doesn't really make any sense to me.

Consider breaking up the text on your "More Photos" page the way you have with your homepage text. Also, I would love to see some picture captions? What are these scenes and how far away is your house from them?

I think the floorplan is also an excellent idea! This may or may not be important, but on my monitor the text written on the floorplan is essentially impossible to read.

Have you proofread your copy? There are some punctuation irregularities here and there. One that catches my eye here and there is the lack of a space between a full stop and the first letter of the next sentence -- I saw that in several places. Consider asking a friend to read through the site with an editor's eye for grammar, spelling, and readability. I do like that you're "putting the client in the location" in several places -- with a bit of proofreading I think this could be even more effective.

I'm not sure what your client base is, but one thing I'd like to see highlighted is the answer to the implicit question that every potential client asks when visiting a property website: Why should I visit your region, your country? If I decide to do that, why should I visit your house in particular? I admit that I've got about 100 posts to catch up on so I'm reading very quickly; but at first glance I didn't feel like there was any specific paragraph or phrase that really answered those questions for me.

I hope this doesn't come off as too critical -- I think you've got a lot going for you with this site. Good work!

Cheers!

The place looks like it will be really lovely when it's done!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Eamonn,

You friendliness comes through in your writing, which is great.

The first impression is mixed though. The banner looks good, but the message is unfocused:

- There is no heading to explain what the site is about. You have to scroll down the homepage to find that the house is in the Donegal hills.

- The house under construction doesn't look all that welcoming, but that is more to do with the lighting conditions than the state of the house.

You have two pictures on the homepage which are taken in a good light, the others are in a grey, flat light. I would use you pic with the blazing sun at the top of the page to make an immediate positive impact. It sounds like the views are a big selling point for the house, so I would show them straight up.

As mentioned above, there are some grammatical slip-ups along the way, a few sentences ending in a comma rather than a full stop.

But the site has a good spirit to it, I like the pics illustrating what you can do in the area, especially the one of the smiling bar-tender. It shows you're really thinking about what your guests will do while they are there.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

Hi Eamonn,

Excellent site, and the property looks as though it's going to be a winner! I agree with most of what has already been written here and would make a couple of other suggestions:

1. I would split up the text in the banner into capitalised separate words: Culandoon House Donegal, or with a comma after House.

2. I agree with the comments about the main photo - a sunny day and, if you can get one, a photo taken from above rather than below. If the house is on the highest point around, think about getting an aerial photo taken when the building work is finished. Could set you back a few quid/euros but the effect is always impressive for hilltop or clifftop properties with views. Obviously this is not going to help you at the moment though!

3. Seems a bit strange that you list an Irish address and a US phone number. Have a look at dmclub.net, you can get a UK phone number for a one-off fee of £25 which is then forwarded free of charge to any number you like (including mobile) in the US or EU. Callers pay the national rate of 10p per minute. Assuming you are expecting enquiries from the UK, that is. I've been using them for a couple of years with no complaints.

all the best, Jim