Share your blogs

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Crumbs, there is so much info on this site - and so many things to look into.

Has anybody with more experience than me done Top 10 things to check out on this forum? Would be good for newbies....

Anyhow, our blog is http://visitslovenija.blogspot.com
for what it's worth. As noted elsewhere, the big problem is keeping up with new ideas.
Windy

Post by Windy »

OK - anyone want to swap blog links then - I have started a new section on http://windermerelodge.co. uk/ and added your Visit Slovenia blog to it
Our Friends' Holiday Rental Blogs

* Visit Slovenia
If anyone else would like to reciprocally link a relevant site let me know!

We can have a sort of LMH blog ring
Last edited by Windy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

It was good to read about visitslovenija. How is this different to Slovenia or are they the same?

You have nice pictures on the blog but I'd recommend not saying "visit my apartment" too often. This will put off other bloggers, who will read your blog if you are offering insight and comments and interesting material.
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Hmm, ok. Obviously got a lot to learn here.

The Slovenian spelling for Slovenia is Slovenija - and the domain visitslovenia was not available. We do also use www.slovenia-holidays.com though as Google pretty much ignores the Slovenian spelt version....
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

I always guessed my Slovenian spelling wasn't too good!
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Not seen much activity on this bit lately - pity.

Here's ours. Not very exciting maybe and not very sophisticated, but am not good at HTML. Actually, is there an easy to use GUI based bit of software somewhere for creating blogs? (needs to work on OSX for me though). Getting a nice layout and managing media seems awfully complicated.....

Ho hum.

http://visitslovenija.blogspot.com
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

In an effort to get more people unto my blog I have tried to be less sugary and include some subjective viewpoints so as to appeal to visitors looking for more honest view of the island they are visiting. I am bound to also attract a local following. What I have not been so successful at yet is getting enough feedback in the comments section. Don't know if this would give me a higher position with search engines, but it sure as hell would assure me of a following.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Aldo, controversy is one of way of attracting comments, other than that lists are also a good way e.g. the 5 best cafes in Valletta. Or a combination of controversy and lists - just throw Oliver Reed into the mix and see what happens ;-)

And, dare I mention it for fear of attracting the growing army of naysayers on here, have you thought about using Twitter to connect and spread the word?
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Oh yes, I bet the Oliver Reed mention will get a few links. I noticed from the amount of empty bottles my guests have been leaving that there are a few of his fans that visit Valletta for that very reason! :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

Course you dare Garri - you`re a brave boy!!!

I have been doing a lot of reading about blogs and want to start over with mine - should I do just that or leave the few posts that are there already?
Garri

Post by Garri »

Enid, it was with trepidation that I mentioned the T word as I'd hate to see this thread mutate into YAPTAT, the P of which stands for 'pointless' though it's a euphemism for TFWOT ;-)

When you say you'd like to start over with your blog, what did you have in mind?
enid

Post by enid »

Well I still want to keep it part of the website and I'm still happy with the website (I realise it needs a bit of maintenance!!! but that's on my list)

I want to have different categories to make its content a bit broader - and really I just want to make more regular postings.

I don't want to mention it on the T place at the moment!

Nothing mind boggling!
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

In terms of blog promotion I've been experimenting with tweeting the posts on Twitter.com lately. Seems to pick up a fair bit of traffic for next to no effort though it varies a lot... so far it seems to have been most successful with some posts on www.ourinns.org/news although it was pretty good on some www.foreignperspectives.com posts too.

You can do this with no ongoing effort at all with some of the automated tweeting services which'll pick up each blog post as you go. Snags with this are that they don't do historical posts and you would probably need to think about the title of your posts with twitter in mind.

If you're new to Twitter, http://www.foreignperspectives.com/adju ... pinion.htm will give you some ideas re promoting yourself on Twitter.

Arnold
Austria

Post by Austria »

I run a couple of blogs the first being http://austria-holiday-apartment.blogspot.com/ which gives holiday ideas for visitors to the area around Kaprun and Zell am See in Austria. It is now our 2nd or 3rd best source of links to our website. So it is worth doing, but you need to be always on the lookout for new articles.

Our second blog is http://austria-spa-world.blogspot.com/ which started with the construction on a new 90,000,000 Euro spa complex, it is not due for completion until December 2010, so the time spent on the site is a long term investment, but will hopefully in time bring in some more guests.
Solari

trullo solari blog

Post by Solari »

I started a blog for our property a couple of months ago. Would really appreciate any thoughts. I've managed to get one guest to post a review, which I'd love to repeat - but you need the right guests!

http://blog.trullosolari.com/

thanks
Cathy