Installing a 'fridge - compensation?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Installing a 'fridge - compensation?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Two days before their holiday ends we need to install a new 'fridge/freezer in a guests' apartment (couple, 2 kids). Long story, but no choice. Previous one working but on last legs.

Should we offer them some token compensation? Like a free lunch?

Our manager(ess) will be supervising and doing the dirty work - I reckon on an hour or two's disruption from 10-11am.

Thanks.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'd probably add a nice bottle of wine chilling in the new fridge as apology for the disruption - doesn't cost much and I'm sure it would be appreciated...maybe something for the kids too.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

I'm sure your guests would be delighted with a free lunch MG.

However, I would think a nice bottle of something left in the new fridge would suffice.

I can't imagine anyone getting upset because you are installing a nice new fridge, chances are they will be out and about enjoying their holiday anyway.

Ruth

Sorry fb, posted same time. :lol:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I agree...a nice bottle of wine (or 2 depending on the size of the party).

These sort of things happen and understanding guests wouldn't see the installation of a new fridge as a disruption to their holiday....(well I wouldn't anyway!)
Martha

Post by Martha »

Great minds think alike :)

Mostly, it seems, they think about booze!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Some people are as miserable as sin though so I think it depends on whether they're a happy little bunch or not. Can your manager judge that one, whether they'd be happy with a bottle of wine or would hold out for the free lunch?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Some free ice cubes? :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

I think something in the fridge/freezer itself would fit the bill.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mountain Goat wrote:Two days before their holiday ends we need to install a new 'fridge/freezer in a guests' apartment (couple, 2 kids). Long story, but no choice. Previous one working but on last legs.

Should we offer them some token compensation? Like a free lunch?
No! not at all. In your circumstances the word "compensation" doesn’t come into the equation. You are up-grading your property not advertising something that doesn’t exist or doesn’t work. A free lunch is not necessary although I’m sure it’ll be appreciated.

The question of compensation rears its ugly head when the owner knows full well that the fridge/freezer or whatever is on its last legs or doesn’t work at all and still does nothing about it. IMHO “those� owners fully deserve the compensation claims they attract and they do nothing to enhance the reputations of the rest of us.

Alan
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

We're not talking major works here MG, as long as the guests know in advance then a bottle or two would suffice in my opinion. The idea of giving more if they are 'grumpy guests' seems quite unfair to the 'reasonable guests' imho.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi MG as the others said a bottle or two would be the answer..[as it is to most problems i find :wink: ]
We are buying new fridge/freezers for the houses when we go out there next month.
They are getting past there sell by date and Id rather replace them now than wait for them to stop working..and leave the guests without the use while a replacement is found... :wink:
[having just said that Im probably talking it up and they will conk out next week..... :roll: ]
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

How long do you expect an average appliance to last though these days? Ours in France are all 4-ish years old.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

How long do you expect an average appliance to last though these days? Ours in France are all 4-ish years old
Ours is about that GG :wink: ..
but they came from the builder[as did all the white goods so not that good a quality]...I expect yours is a good quality make as is all your equipment[and furnishings Im sure]
Your house is so lovely Im sure you wouldnt have skimped on anything.
..I intend to get a better make one this time as they do get a lot of use...we have had constant bookings since April and its been so hot in Spain this summer so theyve definitely worked hard.
[I know if I couldnt have ice in my wine Id feel a bit miffed :wink: ]
gh

Post by gh »

Gascony Goat wrote:How long do you expect an average appliance to last though these days? Ours in France are all 4-ish years old.
Does anyone know of a similiar scheme in France? Here we have the white goods insured with Home Care through British Gas, the policy is very reasonable, would be great to have something similiar.

Ours GG were installed in '02, so far we have had to replace washing machine, dishwasher and various shelves and ice doors on the two fridges. Here in UK they are getting on for 6yrs old, when we got the kitchen re-modelled, like always holiday rental appliances do get a bit off a battering.

Guests have yanked the lid off the top loader before the cycle finished and a youngster (10 yr old) opened the dishwasher dooor and stood on it. :twisted: Probabily would still be working now,
Both well know marques, now we have had the d/washer and washing machine repaired and stowed in the outbuldings in case of emergencies.

Helen
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, everyone. I think the wine is/was the best idea. We offered them lunch, and they said forget it.....no problem.

Re machines, Miele may be worth the extra expense. They offer 5yrs free (routinely) and 10yrs (exceptionally on promotions) - and with several machines, UK and CH, touch wood, nothing gone in 5 years or so.

MG