Spam from villa-world.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
paolo

Spam from villa-world.com

Post by paolo »

You may have got an email from a new listing site called villa-world.com today, soliciting your custom.

I got one and the only way they could have got hold of the email address they used was to send me a fake enquiry through a listing site ad, and when I replied, add my email to their mailing list.

This puts them top of the league of bad eggs. Definitely one to avoid.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Do they want you to pay? or is it a free one, or trial?
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

No idea, I didn't take in what they were selling me, just the way they went about harvesting emails.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Paolo, how do you know that's the only way they could have gotten your e-mail address? Do you have certain e-mail addresses that you only use for inquiries?

(That's what I've started doing recently and I was just wondering if it's a common thing.)
Brooke
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

I use a different email for lots of inquiries and then if I get spam from them I just black hole the email address :o If you have control over your web email management you can try the same and also this way you can even categorize your inquiries so you know the topic and referrer even just by the email address.
paolo

Post by paolo »

vrooje wrote:Paolo, how do you know that's the only way they could have gotten your e-mail address? Do you have certain e-mail addresses that you only use for inquiries?
That's right, I have a separate Hotmail or Yahoo account for each property, and only for listing sites where the enquirer does not see the owner's email address until they get a reply.
Paolo
Lay My Hat