Advice on 4yr child with disability?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Advice on 4yr child with disability?

Post by Mountain Goat »

We've a mother keen to stay with us next Spring, plus 4yr-old daughter with cerebral palsy.

Could anyone fill us in with considerations re plane/train, steps/stairs, buggies and any special requirements? I'm talking to the mother next week and wanted to sound practical. I don't think they've travelled out of the UK before. Because of problems with movement, perhaps any snow sport is out?

Thanks.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG,it depends on the severity of the disability. The plane shouldn't be a problem,as they can get assistance and priority boarding at the airport. They should have their own means of pushing the child around if she is too big for a normal pushchair. A large sit in sledge might be good for her to get around on the snow. I'll Pm you, as I know of someone who may be able to give you some more advice.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

MG, I know a little bit about it as our next door neighbour's lad has severe CP.

I think it depends on the severity tbh as it can vary from slight to severe so maybe try and find out a bit more if you can???
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, yes, I've got to get more information, that makes sense, especially regarding mobility. I know access to a swimming pool is important for her, which we can help with.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, they need therapy in the pool for muscle development.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

MG,

Cerebral Palsy is a very wide ranging condition with regards to mobility etc and taking into account the area your property is in and the fact that your property details on your website link show that your property is wheelchair inaccessible and unsuitable for elderly or infirm, I would assume that the lady has taken this into account. Did the lady contact you via your holiday rentals advert? If so she is probably aware of the access issues and therfore does not believe that there will be a problem.

Considerations and any special requirements are heavily dependent upon the childs level of disability, it is probably well worth talking to the child's mother to see if anything comes to mind from her point of view.

I'm happy to help if you can find out any further info.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Yes def depends on severity of the condition. I had an ex boss who had CP and was a wheelchair user, but also very independent and a high profile local businessman in Hertfordshire. He lived alone, but had someone come in to help him get up and go to bed etc.

I also have a friend who's 6/7 year old daughter has CP but hers is less severe and she can walk ok.

Like others have said just try and find out as much as possible from the lady and reading up on CP yourself. Also remember to familiarise yourself with the correct 'modern day' terms to use when referring to disabilities and people with disabilities (if you are not already familiar that is).

RB
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Piece of string! I used to teach children with disabilities and they are as diverse as "normal" kids! Ask the parents what is required and what they need, and go from there. Some kids need more help than others, depending on the severity of the difficulties. One size does not fit all! :)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Many thanks, everyone. I'm actually meeting the mother next week, so will discuss in detail. I feel that a flight or train to Geneva from the UK, plus train or car, could be quite challenging for a single mum, let alone the access to the property and getting around the village, shopping etc.

Yes, I'd better get up to speed on current terminology, which can be a minefield these days ('gift' of dyslexia, special kids etc.) and interestingly lagging a bit in North America.

MG
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

Hi MG,

The ex is a "Head of Care" at a Scope residential school.
Still friendly :? so any questions I can pass on if you like.
Here's a link to Scope's site, it may provide you with a bit
more info?

http://www.scope.org.uk/

Cheers

Ian
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Many thanks, everyone. I'm actually meeting the mother next week, so will discuss in detail.
I tell you what MG I have no worries at all :!:
because I know you will make sure all is perfect for them if they do come to stay with you..cos youve already shown what a 'caring owner 'you are by asking these questions..and by previous posts youve made we all must know what a 'Good Egg' you are Im just pleased that she chose you which Im sure at the end of it she will be tooo :wink:
Take Carexx
enid

Post by enid »

Some kids need more help than others, depending on the severity of the difficulties. One size does not fit all!
Good point. The meeting with the Mum should clarify this particular little girl's need and then you can offer services bespoke to those needs. To the 4 year old and her Mum this is normal everyday life and they will know what you can do to make their stay happier and easier. Good experience for your property owner CV!!!!! :)
J&J

Post by J&J »

MG, Enid is right that children with disabilities cope surprisingly well with life. I guess you are concerned because you want both mother and child to enjoy the experience. I think the mum will be pleased you are trying to make life easier for her.
Judith