Infinity pools

For anything to do with the garden and pool
bob_day

Infinity pools

Post by bob_day »

The mountain view from our pool is spoilt by a rather intrusive balustrade which is intended to prevent children plummeting over the edge and down the hill into the cactus.

We really would like to open up the view and one option that came to mind was to have the pool converted to an infinity edge. Anyway that was our plan and I intended to have a chat with a pool company to see if the conversion is feasible. Then it occurred to me what we would have is a waterfall at the back of the pool, and well waterfalls aren't quiet. We have a fishpond in the UK garden with a small waterfall and fountain and even that makes a significant background noise.

As well as a great view it is really peaceful in in the mountains and I would hate to replace something that intruded on the view with something that destroyed the peace.

Does anybody have, or have any experience of infinity pools and just how much noise do they generate.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Hi Bob,

might it be an idea to replace the balustrade with laminated glass screens? safer for the kids and no noise :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
bob_day

Post by bob_day »

tree-peony wrote:Hi Bob,

might it be an idea to replace the balustrade with laminated glass screens? safer for the kids and no noise :)
Considered glass but my problem with that is it tends to have a contemporary look whereas our place is most defiantly rustic. Plus glass get's stained and dirty.

Another line of thought is a steel wire fence. Maybe a poll at each corner and one in the centre with maybe 3 steel wires running between them, all painted black to match the window gratings. Occurred to me that an arrangement like this could easily be made removable for when we are in residence.

This picture illustrates what we are up against. Any and all ideas are gratefully accepted and considered. There is a 10ft or so vertical drop onto the shelf where the pool solar heating gizmo resides.

Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Have you had the property long? I only ask because having a balaustrade in front of a view is so common in Spain and most people tend to look at the view and sort of don't notice the balaustrade. I doubt if that makes much sense and I certainly do understand what you are saying as I have a similar situation myself.
I don't know much about how infinity pools are constructed but I have heard they use a lot more water than normal pools.
I live not far from Sayalonga and if you are having a pool company to assess your pool I can, by PM, tell you a company NOT to use! After a recent very bad experience I would be very wary of doing anything to the pool that involves cutting into the structure!
fibi

Post by fibi »

Bob,

That pool is utterly and completly beautiful as it is. Infinity pools are cool but I've never seen a noiseless one - there needs to be a water return which needs powered. Been to some pretty good infinity pools but there is always a noise.

Definately wouldn't go for glass -gets too dirty too quickly. I would have though stainless steel would look a bit contemporary - great if that matches the rest of your place though.

I really can't see why you would want to change anything its stunning... :D
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

that's stunning!! and yes I can see the problem :(

but how would an infinity pool stop kids from tumbling over? or would it provide them with a "soft landing"?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Another idea:

Wrought iron railings - much thinner, and if painted in dark green is less obtrusive.
Perhaps even some creeping plant to soften the railing, but not too much to ruin the view.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I was thinking the same - it's absolutely lovely as it is, but wrought iron would be less obstructive, and still pretty and traditional? I'd worry about kids falling over the edge if it was an infinity pool...
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

personnally i would not change it as i think it looks beautiful and is in keeping with the house. But if you do then i think i would agree on the the wrought iron as being the next best option
Nessie
bob_day

Post by bob_day »

Bellywobble, we bought the place in Jan this year and are slowly bringing it back to it's rustic glory. You wouldn't believe the colours the internal walls had been painted, purple, lilac, orange, green, blue and none of them subtle shades with matching painted tables and lights. It was awful but it's allwhite now (groan)

For sure I would like to know if there's a company I should avoid. PM me if you would be so kind. Where are you relative to Sayalonga?

Tree-peony. The hope was that if there is water rushing over the edge then kids wouldn't climb up onto it.

I hear what you are saying about a lot of pools having balaustrades but there must be an alternative. When we first viewed the place it was "wow look at that stunning view, hmmnn shame that B*&^%y balaustrade is in the way. And to be honest when I sit down and kick back, glass of wine in hand it really bugs me to have that in my main field of vision. Come the second glass it's an even bigger eyesore aond so on :-) Sure you all know what I mean.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

yes I know exactly what you mean!! but tbh I think kids would find a wall with water going over it even MORE appealing (I would!!)
Martha

Post by Martha »

perhaps something like the middle section of this? Painted pale blue or deep green perhaps?

Oh and welcome to theforum by the way! :)

Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
enid

Post by enid »

Yes welcome - great view I can see why you are keen to keep it as obstacle free as possible. I love the idea of an infinity pool but there is noise - can you have the infinity bit of the longer edge pf a pool? Wouldn't children be tempted to try to climb up? I like the wrought iron idea but a long term maintenance job.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Welcome from me too Bob,

What a lovely view!
if there is water rushing over the edge then kids wouldn't climb up onto it.
Kids do the most unexpected things sometimes :? I have three and they never fail to suprise me. :shock:

Ruth :lol:
bob_day

Post by bob_day »

Kipz wrote:
Kids do the most unexpected things sometimes :? I have three and they never fail to suprise me. :shock:

Ruth :lol:
You're right, mine are grown up and yet still pull the pull the occasional surprise.

Personally I think a single thin electrified electrified wire would work a treat from both eliminating the obstruction and preventing kids clambering along the edge. But for some reason Frances won't won't go along with it :-)

Thanks for the welcomes.. Have been lurking for a while just not posted. So many forums so little time especially given the speed and inaccuracy of my tipping.