Email Issues

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

This may help explain the name change?
Thanks Roxytoo,

I was getting a little confused (not difficult) :wink:

Ian
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Trawling through our Gmail spam box today (1,500 or so) I've found 4 genuine enquiries from one of our sites, including a £15k 2008 ski season rental (OK, not quite confirmed).

I'm determined to find out whether we can whitelist domains in Gmail - anyone know? They're all from one source.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

vrooje wrote:Daisy,

Yes to all your questions, in brief. :) I very much like Gmail and highly recommend it.

I have used the POP3 service, but I now tend to just use the webmail, because I like the tags, the way the messages are grouped in threads, and that the message search function brings up entire threads.

But when I did use POP3, I used Thunderbird. I like it a lot more than Outlook.
There is now an extension to Thunderbird which allows it to link to some Webmail servers.

Alan
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Alan Knighting wrote:There is now an extension to Thunderbird which allows it to link to some Webmail servers.
Does that include Hotmail ?
(I am expecting a "no" answer !)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And one small whinge - it's great that Gmail attempts to tidy the messages into correspondence threads, but the sorting isn't perfect, neither chronologically nor by name, which can be very confusing.

It's also very difficult to sort messages if one shares the same first name as the sender - although the email addresses are different it appears to sort by the attached name.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

e-richard wrote:
Alan Knighting wrote:There is now an extension to Thunderbird which allows it to link to some Webmail servers.
Does that include Hotmail ?
(I am expecting a "no" answer !)
According to the Thunderbird Site the Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos (Europe), MailDotCom, Gmail, Libero, and AOL domains are currently supported.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

although the email addresses are different it appears to sort by the attached name.
Really? I thought it sorted by message subject! Or do you mean within each thread?

Alan, what does the webmail attachment do? I assume it's different than a standard POP3 connection to Gmail.

(Daisy, if we are getting too technical, just let us know.)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

vrooje wrote: Alan, what does the webmail attachment do? I assume it's different than a standard POP3 connection to Gmail.
I'm not using the extension but I understand it enables Thunderbird to interrogate certain Webmail servers and to handle e-mails found on those servers in the same way as it does POP3 servers.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

This is what I use http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/ ... ndows.html Makes a noise and gives a pop up when a gmail arrives. Handy...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Daisy,

I'm a big fan of gmail too, for pretty much the same reasons others have given.

Esp for the rental business.
Because of the way it keeps "conversations" together, you can hold all your correspondence with one renter together, simply by replying each time rather than sending a new email with a new subject.

And you can archive older messages so that you find them in a search but they're not cluttering up your inbox.

And you can attach labels to emails. eg when I get an inquiry, I label it "inquiry". If that person confirms, I change the label to "guest". Really useful when searching later on.

Sue is right about the notifier - it's brill! It means you don't even have to open your browser to find out if you have emails. And when one comes in, it flashes up the top line so that if you're in front of your computer and busy with something else, you can glance and see if it warrants immediate attention or is something that can wait.

As far as I'm concerned the only disadvantage is that I can't create folders and keep my inbox relatively clear. But it's a small thing.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm sure there're better ways of doing it, but we have several template reply emails setup for incoming enquiries, and we store them in the Gmail Drafts folder (email them to yourself as well).

Then just copy/paste/edit the relevant reply.....especially useful if you've got a stack of links to send as well. And you can always personalise each one before it goes.

Come to think of it, that's not unique to Gmail. How do you delete a post?

MG