Which beds to make up?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
NeatandPicky

Which beds to make up?

Post by NeatandPicky »

Although our villa sleeps 6 (one double, 2 twin rooms), we offer a reduced rate for lower occupancy, which we prefer. We have had a number of bookings for 2, 3 and 4 people.

Unfortunately, if we make up more beds, people seem to sleep in more than one, meaning the laundry bill is not reduced! Now contemplating only making up the ones required, although it doesn't look as welcoming.

Do you ask which beds your guests would like made up?

We've had one couple who slept in separate bedrooms when we assumed they'd take the master (snoring problem maybe?), and another who have requested twin beds.
Marks

Post by Marks »

When occupancy is less than our maximum number (4), we always ask which beds to make up. Unmade beds are left with the bed cover on but no sheets/pillow cases etc.
enid

Post by enid »

I do the opposite - i always make up the beds to the occupancy of the gite - in my experience people don't use them so it's always a bonus on changeover day. I am in profit when there is a less than occupancy booking - less water used for example nd I feel that they have paid for the cottage and can do what they like in it. :)
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Our place too sleeps 6 in 1 double and 2 twin rooms. Although we regularly have fewer than 6 staying we do not offer reductions on the price for lower occupancy, no one seems to expect it either.

We make up all the beds, but rarely are the 'spare' beds used...I also think it looks better..sort of 'lived in'. :)

Holiday Villa Rental in Arillas, Corfu,
Greece

Eileen
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I don't make up beds which aren't required. I ask which beds are required on the booking form as I know we have some couples who require separate rooms. (snoring, bad backs etc..)

I have a large cover I put over the single bed and stick some cushions on too. I tell myself I'm being envio friendly not having to wash bedding I'm not sure is used. :)

When I stay there I used the smaller room as a dressing room and have my stuff all over the bed, tsk..
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If guests have paid full price for the villa then they get all the rooms made up and can sleep where ever they want (and as per your experience...they have! Frustrating but they've paid for the privelege IMO)

If I'd offered a reduction (not happened yet) for a smaller party then I would make them aware it was on the basis that some rooms wouldn't be used. Don't know whether I'd make the beds up or not though...as I agree - the house wouldn't look as dressed.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I ask which beds to make up except in the case of a single sex couple where I would make up 2 bedrooms to avoid the incredibly embarrasing incident I had last year when 2 men I wrongly assumed to be gay and sharing a bed turned up and weren't. I've got 2 women arriving next week and will definitely be making up the second bedroom.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh my gosh, LV! That must have been awful! :shock: But I hope you don't mind if right now I can't stop giggling... I swear it's not at your expense. :)

I think that's reason enough to ask what beds should be made up in case of lower occupancy.
I tell myself I'm being envio friendly not having to wash bedding I'm not sure is used.
I think that's actually a good reason to give the clients too -- "it's much kinder to the environment to only make up the beds which will be used, so how many do you need?"
Brooke
Ju

Post by Ju »

If I have given a discount I don't make up all the beds, but I always make sure there is at least one bed more than they need to accomodate snorers.

In peak season (where no discounts are ever offered) I make all the beds. I figure if they have paid that much they have a right too all the rooms.

I put a bedspread on unmade beds to avoid the un-lived in look.

Ju
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I did have 2 guys book once (before I amended the form for sleeping arrangements). I strongly suspected they were gay but didn't want to presume. I made up the double and the single but it left me with the dilemma on where to put the towels as I usually put them on the bottom of the beds. However, I suggested to Dave that he hang them up on the hooks in the bathroom. He went in and shouted for me "erm, I don't know if the hooks are a good idea"... They are little sailors with stripey tops and jaunty berets :roll: (The towels ended up stacked on the bathroom floor!).

I did find the beds got mussed up and not sure if they'd been slept in or not. I agree people have let the whole property but hey, they get as many toilet rolls as they want from me!

My form now say's "Bookings for couples: We make up the double bed. Please advise if you require the single bed/s made up too".
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I used to have this dilema too but seeing as my laundry bill is only 10 euros cheaper not to have the third bedroom used AND I am not on site I decided to just have all the beds made up. Also I don't offer a reduction in price so for the sake of 10 euros they can play Goldilocks and the 3 bears to their hearts content.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

Now that we're taking most bookings ourselves (rather than through agents when we started out), think we'll ask which beds to make up and leave bedspreads on the other ones. Will ask question in "final arrangements" email - and getting a reply will show that guests have all the other info - killing 2 birds with one stone.

It definitely seems to be a bit of a Goldilocks syndrome!
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Oh - just had a horrible thought - maybe they're doing it because the master bed isn't comfortable enough.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MY in-laws will only sleep in twin beds, thay even have separate rooms at home because FIL is so restless in bed.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

More likely they had the proverbial holiday row N&P !
Don't fret, you're giving them a discount, they can't expect to road test the beds before they decide which one they want :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm