washing

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
tansy

washing

Post by tansy »

I do the washing myself...for 20/22 persons per week plus our own!

The reason is that I detest laundries as I think they are so hard on everything...all my bed linen matches and is a nautical theme.

I researched industrial machines here in France, was horrified at the costs....but eventually I have found the solution.

Domestic machines are normally 5 kg capacity...Industrial start at 7 kg with a price tag starting at 4,000 Euros.

I have sourced 10kg machines.... for a washer and a drier just under £900 for the 2...so if anyone is interested please do give me a shout...they are not available in France as they wash side to side and are considered cruel to clothes ...so the French don't like the action...but for sheets, towels etc no problem at all.

I have also purchased an ironing machine which is now my best friend now...I love it...so if anyone wants to ask about that please feel free.

Washday blues are no longer here! :lol:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Tansy, my place only sleeps 4 and that's enough with the washing and ironing so I sympathise!

Re ironing. I bought an Elna press http://www.elna-iron-presses.co.uk/ about 18 months ago, I can't say I enjoy ironing now but it makes it a snap. It cost about £500 but we seemed to be going through regular steam irons which scaled up like no one's business. Now I can do a double quilt in just a few presses. I've worked out the most effective method!! I find the secret is in folding the bedding well first. Then I fold it lengthways once then lengthways again. I can "feed" it thru the press then turn over. It seems to take no time at all.

I must confess - I'd never ironed bedding or tea towels before I got the rental - shame on me :oops: Yes, everything my mother in law has always claimed about me is probably true :)
lizshereen

re ironing

Post by lizshereen »

Hi there could you tell me where you got the ironing machine from is it in France, for our bandb we have two washers, and two tumblers but the ironing of sheets is a night mare and The local laundry quoted me 6 euros per sheet to iron guess what my answer was!
cheers Liz
www.holidaybandb-limousin.com
bye for now, lizzy.x
tansy

Post by tansy »

Hi there

I got mine from FOUCHARDS in Coutance - they come under the category Cuisine Professionnelle in the phone book...so try that as a port of call.

I bought a Meile professional HM 16-83....it is absolutely superb, it cost 1,734 euros but in hind sight I do wish I had gone up another 500 Euros and got the next cylinder size because single quilt covers I only need to fold once (length wise) and put them through twice if I'm being fussy....doubles you need to fold twice and put them through twice or even 3 times...sheets etc once or twice through. It has transformed my life - with 2 changeovers on a Saturday - washing for 20 I can be finishing off the last pillowcase just as Casualty is finishing!! ( I have a laundry room with a TV & DVD player - fridge nearby for the wine and MY choice of what's on the box....I quite enjoy my Saturdays now!)

I also found this chap Alain Richard - speaks perfect English
04 74 78 39 50 he does industrial washing machines, ironing machines the lot for whole of France (has agents in different areas) - I didn't buy from him as I sourced 10kg machines for 500 Euros his were 4000 plus...but very graceful when I told him! Failing that look for suppliers of hotel & catering equipment.

Let me know how you get on

Good luck...bannishing the wash day blues...any other tips for enjoying the washing & ironing just ask!! :lol:
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Tansy

Is this a roller type ironing machine, rather than a press one?

I looked the press one, but heard mixed reports, so I bought a Domena ironing system. Its a steam iron, with a ironing board that has a fan in it to suck the steam through. It's certainly halved my ironing time. I did the bedding for 19 people last year, but this year it is going up to 28 - so that will be fun!

As for washing machines, we went for the option of two domestic machines rather than one industrial one. I try not to use the tumble dryer though, I line dry everything, it usually takes me Tuesday to do it all due to space on the line more than anything else. I then spend Wednesday Ironing.

Whilst we are on this subject what does everyone else do about folding the sheets and duvet covers. I find if I fold them straight after ironing them they crease up, where as if I leave them draped over the back of a sofa for half an hour they fold beautifully. I iron everything folded once, so they are not too unmanagable.

I'm glad I don't have any king size beds though, a double sheet is about all I could handle.

Ju
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I tend to fold covers straight away, I'll try leaving them but they're not too bad when they're on by the time you get the throw over on the bottom of the bed.

I found I was getting mixed up with bedding so I've colour coded it. We're a 60 miles drive from our cottage, I've arrived before with no double sheet and had to do a 35 mile round trip to Homebase!! Now it's always white sheets for the double and blue for the singles. Means I can put the bedding together quite easily.
tansy

Post by tansy »

yes it is a roller - the iron is in the top bit...but the speed it goes is fab...- my changeovers start at 10 am with 1st house ready at midday - I check house with cleaners - we ask our guest to strip the beds, I gather all the washing get back and start - the 10kg machine makes such a difference as I can get 6 single quilt covers and all the pillow cases in one wash...so in 3/4 hour after getting back washing on the line...

then 2nd load on and onto 2nd house - same again...by 6 p.m. everything is washed on on the line... serious ironing then and finished by 10 p.m. It's a 14 - 15 hour day but it's out the way done and dusted.

Therory is fine as long as weather is with me! Then I am slowed up with tumble drier.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Oh, I was recommended Comfort Easy Iron conditioner and it seems to work! I was told when buying towels never to use fabric conditioner on them though, anyone else heard this?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Ahhh - the other thing I failed to tell you - is that I use jersey 100% cotton fitted sheets for the bottom sheet..no ironing needed!

Everyone comments how comfortable they are as well...my Auntie Bessie even went out and bought a load to take back to Northern Ireland as she hadn't seen them there.

They save hours of work!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

tansy,

I've always got loads of ironing that your machine might like - can I send it over to you?
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Tansy - I don't mind ironing the duvet covers and pillow cases, but I hate the sheets! Did you get your 100% jersey fitted sheets in France - if so, where did you buy them?
Thanks,
Sue
tansy

Post by tansy »

Susan...all the big supermarkets have them...quite often I find them on specials especially in Auchan then they can be as little as 4,65 Euros!

I mainly shop in Le Clerc and Auchon - occassionally the other big Carrefours ....but I found they had gone a bit downhill - then discovered that the man who wrecked Marks & Sparks is on the board...need I say more!!!

But some of the fitted sheets are on their 3rd season and are holding their shape and texture very well indeed.

Reddevil...no problem at all - but could you afford the cases of Vino Torres Sol?
:wink:
centime

Post by centime »

I have just been out pricing the local laundries, lowest price is 3 euros per kilo to wash and iron bed sheets, plus it is only a couple of doors up from the apartments and they go up in increments of half a kilo. I think this may be more economical than having the maid iron them - she takes 5 euros per hour plus on top of that she has to feed the washing machine and hang them up not to mention the cost of the electricity, water, soap powder and wear and tear on the iron and machine. What to you washing divas think? I like to do the towels in our machine, as they smell so nice when they have been hung out to dry in the fresh air, but it might even be better to do the towels at the laundry too, what do we think?
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
tansy

Post by tansy »

sounds good & handy...my problem was with laundrettes etc is distance and also in a seaside town so I couldn't get a machine in the summer!

Laundry's are hard on your things and don't smell of washing powder /fabric conditioners...but if I was as handy as you I would use it.

I personally finish my towels in the tumble drier to keep them soft - they can go quite hard and feel scratchy on the skin drying in the sun
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Mmm, maybe I will change my mind about you helping me out with the ironing. Could afford the Vino Torres Sol but not too sure about the quality of work afterwards - don't want my guests sleeping with duvet covers that have a wobbly crease :wink:
Last edited by reddevil on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?