What a way to start...

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
martinb

What a way to start...

Post by martinb »

Hello everybody. Jumping in at the deep end I'm asking for comments on what I should do with my site.
:oops:
Gloves off please - if you think I should scrap it and start again say so. I shan't be upset (much).

It is my first effort at creating a site and I wish I had found this place sooner - lots of good information here.

However we seem to have had a fairly good season with Villarenters - having only had about three weeks empty.

The place is suitable for people not seeking bright lights and nightlife. Mostly targeting family seaside and older couples.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for looking at the site (if you do :o ).

www.rentmyvillainspain.co.uk
enid

Post by enid »

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have only had a very quick look but i have a big problem with the red text - I find it very hard on the eyes I'm afraid.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Agree with Enid about the red text - difficult to read. Also, I think that the font size in the main paragraph is too big - it doesn't need to be so big and this also makes it difficult to read (IMO).

Does it say anywhere exactly how many rooms there are and how many people it sleeps? I couldn't find anything.

One other thing - your URL. Yes, it is a catchy one, but I'm afraid the word that first jumped out at me was "villain". Maybe it's just me, but that was a bit off putting!

Sorry to only be giving you negative comments, but you did ask! I certainly don't think you should scrap it - just tweak it a bit!!!
I've only had time for a very quick 3 minute glance at it - but it's in those first few minutes that you need to capture your audience...

Good Luck, and PS, welcome to the forum!

Daisy
martinb

Post by martinb »

Thanks both and point taken about the text colour.
I'm just wondering if the background colour makes it difficult or if I should just go for black on white with main headings in red (like this forum which seems to work well).

Also text size taken on board and I'm going to reduce a bit. Only the first page is large, but if its off-putting that is important!

Thanks for picking up on the missing numbers accommodated - what an omission!
:oops:

As for "villain" - what are you suggesting :twisted: ?
:lol:

Thanks very much - very valuable input.
Regards,
Martin
enid

Post by enid »

I would always go for black text on white and ad colour around that
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

martinb wrote: As for "villain" - what are you suggesting :twisted: ?
I'm not suggesting anything - it's just that that was what first jumped out at me when I saw it!!! :lol:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Firstly, that's really terriffic you are already getting so many bookings with so little advertising! congrats :-)

I have to say, the red isn't really difficult for me to read...and I see how you are coordinating with the spain icon in the corner...but I do think I would play with it a bit because the comb. of the red on the blue seems like it is what is a bot problematic.

As for the text size...*laugh* I'm the last person to ask...mine was way too smal...then way too big...and now...well...who knows :-)

I, honestly, don't love the interior photos - they are comming off very, very cluttered at first glance...and then...when I take a better look, I see that the rooms aren't really all that cluttered...know what I mean? I think you may be able to take better ones that do not emphasis the clutter (i.e. almost all kitchens look better in photos when the counters are totally cleared of everything...microwave, utensils...everything) - I also think they may just be showing that way in the photos becasue of all the text under them...and they are all squished together on the page...I love the exterior ones though! :-)

I would probably state your prices somewhere besides the calendar...at first glance, I though I had to actually put in dates...and I didn't bother...just clicked on to another page...then...when I went back, I realized (after reading the directions!) I just had to scroll over...since it's a very affordable place, I would really make sure the rates are really easy to find :-)
martinb

Post by martinb »

I really appreciate the comments, its so helpful to see things through others' eyes.

I've already made some changes, text is now mostly black and smaller and number accommodated added. I've kept the pastel blue background for now (cos I like it) but would ditch it if the consensus is its off-putting. It sort of conveys blue skies - maybe.

Pictures are not so easy are they. I do take the point about clutter but I don't want to create a false impression - minimalist its not! I'll try to take some better pictures next time I'm out there taking on-board the comments. I've made them a bit larger so perhaps not so confusing?

I have to give more thought to how to make the prices more obvious. Maybe something like a simple prices from - to section with clear directions on how to use the embedded calender to get a firm quote and hopefully go on to book online instantly with credit card (please).

Really great food for thought and any more ideas welcomed, no such thing as a negative comment in my book.

Thanks all (especially for taking the time).
Martin
Last edited by martinb on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
enid

Post by enid »

Hi Martin - just had another peek and the text still looks red to me - sorry!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Great to see that the suggestions are already being taken on board and the red text is going away. Welcome to LMH !

When I first looked at your details (photos) page, I found it cluttered, but didn't quite know why. Musetta, above, may have given the clue, and I don't think its the photos themselves. If you rework the picture captions so that they are just a bit shorter and more importantly do not extend beyond the width of the pictures, I think the page will look so much neater.

By the way, IMHO, the captions do not need to start with "There is....".
Instead of " There is a tiled garden area ...", I feel that "Tiled garden area with palms....." feels smarter. Dunno why though.
martinb

Post by martinb »

Hi Martin - just had another peek and the text still looks red to me - sorry!
Must be the rose-tinted glasses...
:D

Seriously tho apart from the headings the text is now black (definitely).
Is it the headings you mean?

Otherwise you may have the page cached in your browser, try flushing it.

Thanks,
Martin
enid

Post by enid »

OK I see it now - thanks.
martinb

Post by martinb »

e-richard wrote:Great to see that the suggestions are already being taken on board and the red text is going away. Welcome to LMH !

When I first looked at your details (photos) page, I found it cluttered, but didn't quite know why. Musetta, above, may have given the clue, and I don't think its the photos themselves. If you rework the picture captions so that they are just a bit shorter and more importantly do not extend beyond the width of the pictures, I think the page will look so much neater.

By the way, IMHO, the captions do not need to start with "There is....".
Instead of " There is a tiled garden area ...", I feel that "Tiled garden area with palms....." feels smarter. Dunno why though.
Thanks Richard - 100% agree. Ugh!
Captions duly modified and I'll have a trawl for any more such rubbish.

I've made more of a point of the online booking, prices etc by including a hyperlink at the top of several pages and some text on the "Availability" page. Hopefully that steers us round the valid comment that its difficult to find prices.

There's a lot to this web design game, I must spend longer looking carefully at others' sites.

Thanks, really appreciated.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Wow!! The black text made a HUGE diffence! I like it :-) I think the photos are better too...large enough now to really see the place and not focus on the text so much.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry, now I disagree with Musetta :wink: . I think the photos look worse.

Actually, its not the larger size thats wrong, its the way you achieved it..... It seems that you have simply enlarged the small pictures using HTML width and height (or probably you may have simply dragged the edges in FrontPage). This causes a lot of pixellation and loss of clarity.

I'm afraid the optimal way to get from where you were to where you want to be is to go back to your original photos as taken by the camera (you did keep backups before you reduced them didn't you !) and then re-reduce them to the new larger size.

... yes, I know that sentence sounds odd, but it really makes a big difference when viewed on a hi resolution screen.

Secondly, why are you using "frames" ?
Theres a lot of reasons why they are not a good thing, and as far as I can see, you're not taking advantage of any of the features afforded by frames.

By the way, in terms of content and overall design, you do have a great site. I'm not only here to criticise :D