<FX> Puts on helmet and awaits incoming<\FX>

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Chianti

What IS gumtree - looking at it is seems to be a classifieds directory?

Is there something I'm missing there? (I suspect it's something to do with social networking?)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Oh John Im sooooooo chuffed for you MANY many congrats from Sunny Egyptxxx

Take Care my dearxxxxxx
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Edit next day: tried this using Firefox and not Safari and it was fine. So, take two:

Well done Windy!

Think I'm slowly going off Safari!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Windy wrote:Thanks Chianti

What IS gumtree - looking at it is seems to be a classifieds directory?

Is there something I'm missing there? (I suspect it's something to do with social networking?)

www.gumtree.com classified ads site.
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

Now make the most of the publicity, pr, links etc.
John,

Maybe an online press release to announce your achievement. This might get you on journalists ‘radars’.

Set up some google alerts http://www.google.com/alerts on your domain and ‘Cumbria Tourism Awards’ keywords. Contact sites that mention you/your website and the awards, offer interviews, ask for links from the sites that mention you.

FG
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Windy wrote:
... had someone from Cumbria Life trying to sell me advertising in a feature they are doing on the awards (minimum spend £280 for a small ad ...
John

Many congratulations. Anything that sets you apart from the herd has terrific publicity potential but you'll only be 'hot' for a short time, so I'd try to make best use of the award. Local paper and TV should lap you up. For wider publications, I'd consider trading advertising space in return for good editorial about your property. Perhaps you could 'suggest' to the journalist that, as the UK economy has 'gone down the plughole' recently, more people will be 'considering holidays at home', the UK's 'ready for the challenge' and where better than this 'award-winning property in a stunning region of England'. If you write the story for the journos, they'll be able to spend more time down the pub and you'll be their friend for life.

Nobody likes to buy advertising against an uncertain benefit but (for me) an award of this nature would justify a modest outlay.

Jim
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I've just caught up with this thread, Windy - fantastic, what an achievement! It really is a feather in your cap. Well done.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Rab and Jimbo

Oddly I emailed our local paper in Lytham suggesting an angle and got no reply :( - Like you I expected them to come knocking for some easy copy. Maybe I'll pitch a more detailed suggestion next week if they haven't picked it up for themselves by then.

I'm also not sure that Cumbria Life has a great demographic match with my guests -it's maybe a bit G&T for our "wooden caravan" - so i think I'm going to pass on that.

My web visits have gone up by about 30% though and I've acquired some good new links.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hehe!

Stop Press - whilst the local paper may not have called me they still gave me nearly half a page including a full colour photo of the lodge!!!

Priceless!

And we're in the online version without the photo at

http://www.lythamstannesexpress.co.uk/l ... 4104674.jp

What a lovely newspaper the Lytham St Annes express is !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Windy on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enid

Post by enid »

Great :) and a lovely picture of Linda in her cossie too!!!!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Super..that should bring in a few more bookings :D
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Martha

Post by Martha »

How fantastic for you!!! Well done!! :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mr Hobson said: “We won against three other very professional finalists.

“This means that we are now going on to represent Cumbria in the North West Tourism Awards for this category in October
Oh John Well done Jimbos right you have to make the most of this!!!!!!!!!

Didnt realise it meant the chance of MORE success in October Good Luck for then!!!!!!!!
Windy

Post by Windy »

and a lovely picture of Linda in her cossie too!!!!
Linda says "in my dreams" and I just hope nobody expects holiday for £19.99
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ok web site gurus

Following on from the various suggestions made in this thread over the last few months I have finally found the time to revamp the site based on some of the ideas.

This time (as suggested) I have avoided the delights of WYSIWYG editors and the like and attempted to hand craft the html with the aid of a tutorial book on CSS, some home made CSS stylesheets, Server Side Includes to reduce the pain, and lot of hard graft.

The end result is certainly easier to maintain, but has been a bit of a pain to transfer.

I changed the navigation to the right (just to be trendy) and tried for a nested effect. I've also lost a couple of things like buttons for sending e-cards and "tell a friend" as they were never used and just cluttered it up to no real benefit.

Otherwise the content and style are basically the same although I have split one section of the site into 2 parts now.

I'd be really grateful for any further feedback, especially anything that ain't working. I've testeed it as much as I can in Firefox and IE7.

Thanks in advance

John