Using Quotes, Code, Lists, and URLs in your Posts

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
e-richard

Using Quotes, Code, Lists, and URLs in your Posts

Post by e-richard »

(Admin's Note: this was split off from a conversation entitled "Hairgrips banned in the bath and showers?")
Mountain Goat wrote:..Yuk...
fire bug wrote:..yuk...
Jenni C wrote:..Yuk...
HelenB wrote:..YUK...
La Vache wrote:..Yuk...
Welcome to the holiday rentals business :wink:
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I asked before but no-one answered me :( , how do you do multiple quotes like that? Type it all in manually?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Kathy, I copy-paste, then highlight it and press the "Quote" button above the text box on the posting page. Then you can also add the author's name, so change

Code: Select all

[quote]how do you do multiple quotes like that?[/quote]
to

[quote="kathyg"]how do you do multiple quotes like that?[/quote]
and the result is either
how do you do multiple quotes like that?
or
kathyg wrote:how do you do multiple quotes like that?
To add a bit of fun, you can actually make the quote label anything you like, so I could also have

[quote="kathyg bo bathy banana fana fo fathy fee fi mo mathy"]how do you do multiple quotes like that?[/quote]
which results in
kathyg bo bathy banana fana fo fathy fee fi mo mathy wrote:how do you do multiple quotes like that?

But the short answer is, yes, you have to either type it manually or use copy-paste. :)

My question, though, is: what are you all talking about when you talk of cleaning drains? Do you take the drain apart and really clean it? Use one of those drain snake things? Or just what you can get at with pliers/your hands without dismantling something?
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Kathy, I copy-paste, then highlight it and press the "Quote"
For any struggling non techies to easily cut and paste:
highlight text and press Control C to copy
Then Control V to paste it.

Sorry for pointing out the obvious as most of you will already know. : :) I'm giving a colleague I.T tuition and it has made me go right back to basics for him.

BTW: I got one of those little drain things that you put over the plug hole, idea being you can pick that up and all of the hair with it easily. Didn't really work so save your pennies.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Techie Expert Vrooje wrote:But the short answer is, yes, you have to either type it manually or use copy-paste.
Hey I get it now! The bit I didn't get was how to do multiple quotes without having to use the Back button every time to get another one. Hadn't thought of using copy/paste from the stuff below the reply box :roll: Could you also tell me what Code, List and List= is for and how to substitute a word for a URL -is there a Sticky for all this somewhere?

Sorry for the thread creep!!
Kathy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

kathyg wrote: how to substitute a word for a URL -is there a Sticky for all this somewhere?
If you hover the mouse over the URL button the second option tells you how to subsitute the url for a word. It is this:
[url=http://website]word[ /url]

but without the space before the / at the end.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Brilliant thanks Susan -I must pay more attention when I'm hovering!!
Kathy
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

kathyg wrote:...Could you also tell me what Code, List and List= is for and how to substitute a word for a URL -is there a Sticky for all this somewhere?
Yes, there is a "sticky". Click on FAQ at the very top of this page. Then look for BBCode or else when replying, you'll see BBCode is highlighted in bottom left next to your type in box.
Or just click here

Sorry for thread creep again. This was an interesting topic and a subject we suffer both at holiday-home and home-home, so I'm now off to try all suggested solutions.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I totally agree Richard :wink:
and Hopefully this wont seem like Pot Kettle and Black :roll:[well no too much anyway]

But it is soo interesting and Im sure will be very useful for new and not so new members.[me included]

But I dont think they will be likely to find it under this heading, so maybe all this useful stuff could be put somewhere else
[and even added to ]
where people are more likely to find it.

{hope this is taken as its meant :wink: }

Take Carexx
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Agreed -- I have just made this its own topic. :)

Kathy, the code tag is for quoting something that you don't want "interpreted" by the forum. I use it to literally quote code snippets I'm sharing with people, but you can also use it in instructions, the way I did above.

In fact, when Susan described how to substitute a word for a URL, she wrote
[url=http://website]word[ /url]

but without the space before the / at the end.
If she had used code tags, she wouldn't have needed the space; she could have written

[code][url=http://website]word[/url][/code]
in the posting text box, and that would have shown up as

[url=http://website]word[/url]
A list is used to indent something, e.g.

[list]Test 1
3[/list]
will show up as
  • Test 1
So the same as normal text in this case, just indented.

Of course, now that I've split off this topic, there are a few comments about drains that just don't make any sense! :)
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank for splitting all that off Vrooje, I'm sure all the hairgrip people had had enough! :roll:

All has become so much clearer now, only took me nearly 2 years to find out :roll:
Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Kathy :) ,

Im the same :roll: ..[theres a worry]

Just found that you can get peoples quotes by clicking the quote bit on their post and then it all comes up.

I just delete what I dont need then.
[handy when its only a small post and handy for pinching some of the more interesting pics etc..]
Feathers kindly done my winking Monkey and i managed to copy past off his quote thingy..result!!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Thanks for splitting this off. I was feeling a mite guilty at causing but then contributing to this digression.

So to add one more small point.

If you're doing a lot of hand editing of this bbcode, do remember to use the Preview button before you Submit.
Its all too easy to inadvertantly miss a [square bracket or so.