Heating largepools and the benefits of a smaller plunge pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
helene

Heating largepools and the benefits of a smaller plunge pool

Post by helene »

After a very challenging summer in Brittany where we had to use the pool heating much more than normal (we maintained 25degrees) I was wondering about the benefits of 'Abris' or domed pool enclosures and being able to offer extended use of a heated pool as although the pool was warm (with heating) people did not seem so keen when the sun was not shining. Our pool is 5 x 10 metres with a roman end and also has a large fence (French rules) and a large surround so any cover would have to be large to continue with the sense of space, etc. so necessarily expensive also would need to be well structured as during Spring and Winter it is in the path of some strong winds.

While I was pondering this I also thought about the endless pool concept (plunge pool with a sort of wave machine) which is much smaller and could be sited in an existing building (or have one constructedwith glass sliding doors) and be available for much longer. Having discussed this with my husband he feels that the smaller pool would not be used and so I wondered what experience and views people had over this. I would intend to offer the endless pool as an addition so that would mean 2 cottages 2 pools. There is obviously a cost involved and I do not want to just add facilities if they are not valued or provide additional booking incentives.

So any ideas and experience would be much appreciated. The last topic I sought advice on (children's play area) is now under construction so you have the power :D
thanks in advance
helene
Martha

Post by Martha »

I can't give you any feedback from an owner's point of view, but I would personally really like a setup as you suggest, because it would give me the endless pool for exercise, and the 10 x 5 pool for kids to play in / less active swimming - and I'd definitely pay a premium for it :)

I think Fibi has one, so perhaps she could help?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
helene

Post by helene »

Hi Fire Bug - thanks for your thoughts (especially as you agree with me) having said that I have no problem either to listening to contrasting views just want to hear opinions and experience. I noticed that Fibe has an endless pool so thought the issue was worth raising especially as the dollar/sterling exchange rate is so favourable at the moment so a good time to buy direct.
regards
helene
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree with your husband, I don't really see the point in having a smaller pool, especially inside. Some ex guests who are now friends stayed in a gite with an upright pool in a shed and said it was pretty awful. Most people want to be outside in the summer.
helene

Post by helene »

Hi LV I was hoping to provide more than a shed :D although beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So 1 all then and thanks for your thoughts and sharing your friends experience
regards
helene
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I stayed in a hotel with one of those 'current' pools. Awful. A complete waste of time as far as I was concerned. I never used it. Preferable to perhaps have a hot-tub instead.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Do tell Helen - have never tried one but a French property we were interested in a few years back had a rather nice, but rather compact outdoor pool and we were thinking that installing a current thingy would be an intelligent solution.

For some.

I only float and tread water.... :oops:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, It may work better in a private rental, but it was too small to be of any use in a hotel. It was full of older ladies in bathing caps (all three of them :D ). Friends have a 'current' feature on their pool but it is a proper size one, so not sure why.
fibi

Post by fibi »

I have a hot springs 20 foot by 9 foot endless type pool. It is absolutely fantastic - i cannot recommend it highly enough. We have had up to 8 children splashing in it with no space issues and I actually use it to do lenghths in - wouldn't suit a great swimmer doing that but I am far from a great swimmer. There are also 1, 2 or 3 jets that you can swim against. This is what our olympic stars use to train so it really works. You set the temperature to whatever you want from 20 C to 40 C - ours is 32C just now and it stays there. the filter is also really easy - just give it a good clean every 2 weeks put in a capful of chlorine everyday and thats it - no maintenance whatsoever.

Now the bad side - it cost £22k plus another £4k for fitting electrics and £10k for the decking - but I did go a bit overboard with the decking.

Endless pools are cheaper but you cannot get it warm enough to use all year round - it just will not maintain the temp - fine for warm climates not so good for Scotland. The finish is not as good either, nor the after-care.

Everyone who has used the pool have raved about it- you can actually get in and not be cold - I used it in the frost last week - lovely! Ours is outside and it has never been too cold to use it.

We used to live in Argentina and had a large unheated pool that we expensively maintained all year round to use maybe 4 times a year at the most, now our pool is used everyday without fail even in the rain - they really are FAB!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Forgot to say for the sublime experience you really need the hot tub too - get out of the pool feel a tad cold then straight into the tub - bliss! :D :shock:
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks Fibi I took a look at your setup and it does look very luxurious and to a certain extent I think that is the secret if you are going to do it - then do it well. I also noticed that it seemed to me that the pool was an important but integral part of the 'Health Spa' concept and so that would be an important point when positioning it on the website (if we take the plunge :lol: ) I think that would help address the point that Helen B made about the Hotel so people could have the choice large or small pool - we do only have 2 cottages like you so we never have that many people. Judging by your website you are fairly successful in positioning as a year round resort and a romantic retreat. I am not sure that our setup rural Brittany is the right location for that market as we are definatley only open May - October and my sense is that romatic retreats are better if they have a bit more 'life' around them and this is a tranquil/calm zone - but maybe that could work too as a chill-out break - will have to do some projections, etc.

I have looked at Jacuzzis before but am always reminded of a Ben Elton sketch and for some reason have a thing in my mind about Legionnaires Disease so never really pursued that one. But judging from the other posts I can see they are popular so maybe I need to think again - did people get their Jacuzzis in France and is there any 'legislation' that I need to conform with?

Finally given that you maintain such a high temp can you tell me how you heat it as the cost of that needs to be factored in. I see that your website makes a virtue of charging extra so non-users do not have to pay - great point and well made. In our setup it would only be the Spa part that would be extra.
Thanks
helene
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I wonder if Enid has sen this thread - she's in France and has a jacuzzi so I'll PM her! :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks GG - I did get the jacuzzi in France - no special regulations as far as I am aware! I love it. The only thing I would like is a special handle thing for taking the cover of when you are single handed - as K is away at the moment I'm only able to use half a spa - I just fold the cover back half way!!! As discussed before you have to clean the filters and maintain it like you do a pool but it's not rocket science. We don't have a plunge pool but our spa complements the health suite with machines and sauna.
ImageImageImage
fibi

Post by fibi »

The pool is very well insulated so heating costs are acceptable, the hot tub costs £7 to £10 a week to keep to 38C in Summer 40C in winter and even 42C in snow! The swiming pool costs between £15 and £22 a week to keep at 30c in the Summer and 32/35c in winter.

This thread has just forced me to add up the amount we have spent on the spa area - about £120k. This includes totally renovating an old greenhouse into a party room with a kitchen. We could have built another cottage for this! :)

Without the spa facilities though I don't think we would continue to be so occupied especially out of season. This week alone for example I have both cottages booked for anniversary surpises. I also have a lot of hen parties booked.

As we are onsite its an additional bonus for us too - which another cottage definately would not be - more work/cleaning etc! We have all our parties/ family get togethers out in the spa, just off now for a swim with my girls! :D
helene

Post by helene »

Thanks Enid - your set-up looks manageable and quite an asset.

Fibi - I wish someone had got a camera and taken a photo at the moment when I read the actual cost you incurred - the emoticons just do not do it justice. However it has been very useful as it has got me thinking about what is a good and useful investment (given our medium term plans) and what would be great to have but not necessarily a good investment for us. So yours and everyone else's generosity with their ideas and experience was very worthwhile. We are trying to get to Scotland with our motohome (see seperate thread on long term plans) and when we do I will try and book in
Thanks again
Helene