DO YOU DESERVE A HOLIDAY?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
reddevil

DO YOU DESERVE A HOLIDAY?

Post by reddevil »

I am really interested in what your first impressions are when looking at my Home Page??

www.spanishcosyhomes.com

:?: Would it entice you to look further in the site? If it does, then Why does it, and if not then Why Not??

Possible areas for your comments could be about the:-

Colour scheme
Photos
Logo
Actual wording on the page
Menu (at the left and bottom)

Any comments and suggestions are truly welcomed.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
tansy

Post by tansy »

Hi Reddevil

It's not my cup of tea....my mother in law used to live in Calahonda further along the coast in the apartments that look like the moorish castle, I know the area reasonably well.

I love Spain, but personally I like to be away from loads of people...but if you are trying to attract folk that do like to be with the crowd, I for what it is worth, think you need to show the masses of restaurants/ bars/beaches/ and activity.....it comes acoss to me as a long row of houses no one there but somewhere there is a golf course and a swimming pool.

I did only flick so didn't read all the text - but that is what most folk do when searching...the house looks clean and well furnished but I think you need to do more on the surrounding...you are almost opposite to another person - sorry can't remember - but she is having an apartment built so she sold the area on her web site but you could'nt imagine where you were going to stay.

The green is supposed to be easy on the eye...it has stuck with me so it does catch attention...but maybe try an off white / pale sandy colour to reflect sand?

Does that help at all :)

all the best
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I think tansy is referring to my website. Have a look and see if it helps. I play alot on the area as my apartment isnt ready to photograph yet.

I like your site a lot. Its easy on the eye and catches your attention.

Well done.

Sarah
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Hi reddevil

I think you need to look at your layout. There is too much copy on the home page. It would put me off reading through it all. I think you need to be precise and to the point. Perhaps a series of bullet points of the most attractive features.

Your photo quality needs to be improved. You say that it´s a villa for rent but the row of houses in the first picture look like terraced houses and not what I would imagine a villa to look like. The first two pictures that you show should be taken out and replaced with the second two, of the pool & golf course which are very nice and you should take more photos of the property but make sure they are attractive and well lit/staged.

On the positive side, I think the information you provide about the area and travel to the area is comprehensive and very well researched.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism - I hate to be negative! :wink:

Good luck!

Linda
Tykatem

Post by Tykatem »

Hi Reddevil

I'm probably not the best qualified to comment, but I can offer my personal opinion on your website.
I did'nt think there was a lot wrong with what you've done and you've obviously spent a lot of time getting it all together. If anything, I thought you homepage to be too "busy" My eyes were not drawn to any one place in particular. With that in mind, maybe you could cut down on the text and have a punchier picture of your villa exterior.

Pete

www.Tykatem.co.uk
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thanks to all who have replied so far - your personal opinions and comments have all been well noted. :D

The consensus seems to be to insert some better photos (quality and content) and yes I really need to work on that aspect (with my Sony digital and a flight to Spain to be organised this month).

People have also suggested reducing the amount of text on the homepage - any other comments on this much debated topic?

I am still thinking seriously about changing the colour scheme although the feedback on the current green colour has been OK.

I am also thinking about having a new logo done professionally - does the current logo do justice?

If anybody else has the time to offer a personal opinion on any aspect of the homepage then that would be great - and I will buy you a coffee whenever I see you.
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

reddevil,

For me, the green is a bit much - perhaps a lighter shade would be preferable?

I agree with earlier comments regarding the amount of text on the page. This might be improved simply by wrapping the text around the pictures. It looks too much like a reference document rather than a marketing tool.

I feel a bit cheeky saying this as our site is far from perfect but you did ask!
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

cheekymonkey,
How are we mere mortals supposed to improve our websites if nobody tells us how it looks to them???
So thank you for your comments, anybody who posts for a webiste review would appreciate the same.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thanks for your comments so far.

If anyone else has 2 minutes to spare then any last comments before I start to revamp the homepage would be appreciated. Paolo - I know that you are busy but would be grateful if our Guru could give some further guidance :?:

Cheers
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi. Great price for your lovely property. The Front Page worked for me but:
I didn't like the outside piccie of the villa at all-a row of messy houses? I'm sure they're not but I am just pointing out my first impression!
I did wonder at first whether you were renting out several houses as you talk about renting a villa, not one particular one( this does become clear later,but people may drop off before then!!).How about giving the Villa a name to avoid confusion?
That's it. Good luck!!

www.thepetitmanoir.com
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Fraise,
Thanks for taking a peek and for your useful comments. Point taken about the row of houses and my main target will be to take hundreds of new photos when I visit the villa again at the end of the month.

It never crossed my mind that some people may be put off by a website offering several houses for rent coz I always thought these multi-renting websites were my main competitors? It would be good for business if more people preferred a site renting out just one property :)

Cheers.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

A lot of people renting a house from a private owner are doing it because they like the personal touch of renting from someone who only owns one or two homes. Rental listing sites are very important for bringing most clients in, but in my opinion, trying to compete with them would be somewhat like an independent restaurant trying to compete with the McDonald's next door. It's a futile effort and it's not really appropriate.

I say celebrate the fact that you don't own 50 houses -- you can devote all your attention to your individual property and give each client's experience personal service.

That being said, I think your website works pretty well!

You do have a ton of links on the left. The important links are at the top of the list, true, but that many links might make a potential client a bit intimidated. Have you considered finding a way to make those top links (the ones related directly to your property) stand out? I suggest that you make those links a larger/bold font so that they are set apart from the others. I was going to suggest that you take all the links from "Cheap Flight" and put them onto a separate "Links" page, but you've done a lot of work making this information available, and it may help bring clients to your page. So, as long as you can prevent people from becoming intimidated at the idea of having to go through so many pages to find out about your property, I say leave those links there.

Speaking of "Cheap Flights"... I wouldn't use the word "cheap" anywhere on your page. I would change that to "inexpensive." They may mean the same thing in the dictionary, but the word cheap implies to many people not only a low price but also low quality. That's certainly not something you want!

When you go to take new photos, I recommend a new bathroom photo. There's been much discussion of whether or not to include toilet photos on rental websites (I vote no), but I don't know if we've ever discussed bidets. I wouldn't include a photo of a bidet because at a quick glance it looks like a toilet with the seat missing, which I find distasteful in a picture. Either way, though, the photo includes a reflection of the person taking the picture, complete with flash! So that should be replaced.

When you talk about your rental prices you break down the cost per person per week assuming a six-person occupancy. I think that's a great idea, but I also think it would be a good idea to add a sentence right after that that says something like, "That's less than 6 Euros per day!" and perhaps emphasize the font somehow. I think that'd be a really impressive stat!

I like your availability calendar -- is that a code snippet or do you do it manually? Either way it's simple and effective.

Lastly, I recommend picture captions on your homepage.

Overall, I like your site! I think the shade of green is fine (maybe you changed it already?), and the drop shadows are fab! :)

Cheers!
Brooke
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Brooke,

Thanks very much for your comprehensive review of my website - I really appreciate the time and effort you have spent. Don't know if other people feel the same but I get really excited when other people send their comments and it inspires me to make my website better :D

You have a thought provoking comment regarding competing with the rental listing sites. I guess my site looks "semi-amateurish" compared to the "professional" sites, but I am a perfectionist and always want to improve the site and make it look more professional. That makes me wonder if the holidaymakers looking for a provate website would be put off by a professional looking website, even if it only had one property?

Thanks - you are the only person to have made any comment about the menus. It is a challenge to find the right number of links (to show that there is lots more information on the site) but not to intimidate them. Thanks for suggesting a possible solution - this is something I will ponder on. Any other comments on the menus from others (including Paolo when he return from yet another holiday) :wink:

You also hit the nail on the head with your comments on the word cheap and the association to quality. Actually you will see many references to the word cheap on my site as that is how I originally designed it (in my innocence and due to my inexperience). It does pull in a few visitors but are they the type of visitors that I want? This looks like a site revamp/adjustment in the making.

I am leaving tomorrow for Spain (with my trusty Sony digital) and will take many, many photos.....probably a few of the toilet too just in case some potential renter asks to see it (hahahaha). I wish I was a better photographer coz I realise how inportant photos are, and Paolo has posted some good guidelines for us to follow, but still I have to frame and click the camera and wake up in the early morning (after a long night out) to take in the right sunlight - ooh err, the problems of owning a villa!

Great suggestion on the marketing side - hey even I would rent it if it is less than 6 Euros a day!! I'm afraid the calendar is done manually.

Picture captions - you are right (again). Trouble is that I haven't learnt how to put captions on yet and am nearly in the divorce courts due to the amount of time I have already spent on my website :cry: But now you have remonded me, I have put it on my todo list.

The green is the same (I wonder if the shade shows differently on different PCs?). I am colour blind and so looks OK to me (haha). I wonder if it is anything to do with web safe colours? The drop shadows are my pride and joy - hey, even a photo of the toilet looks good with a drop shadow (hehe).

Brooke - thanks again, I owe you a drink when I see you.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Reddevil

I've just looked at your site and I thought I'd add my 2ps worth.

1. The title at the top of the home page looks like and advert, I think it is because it is in a different background colour to the text, and there is just a straight line between them.

2. I'm not keen on the green background, and I think you could find a better font (sorry that's being a bit picky).

3. I agree with the other comments about the photos, but I would also add a photo of the balcony (or the view from it if their is one) and one of the Roof top solarium. I also don't like the ohoto of the apartment with the lady in. It looks like a photo of someone that just happened to be taken in your appartment. I think setting scenes is a good idea (eg table layed for dinner, beds made up etc) but people should only be included if they add to the holiday feeling (perhaps someone in a jaccusi or solething like that).

4. I agree with a previous poster about the menu. I would try and differentiate between which links are part of your site and which are links to other sites.

Hope this helps. Have a nice time in Spain.

Ju
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Reddevil,

No problem -- glad I could help! I'll take you up on the drink offer if I ever actually do go to Spain! :)

On the subject of whether a rental owner's website can be too professional, I think it's a question of the definition of "professional." For me there's a difference between "professional" and "sleek/stylized" and "complicated." A website can simultaneously be professional and relatively small. A professional website to me should be easy to navigate, deliver its content effectively, and use graphics that seem effortless. It doesn't have to look like Amazon.com to do that!

My opinions on professionalism in rental property websites are, naturally, reflected in my own site. I tried to make the content as easy to view and navigate as possible, but deliberately chose fonts and colors that aren't purely utilitarian. That's because I wanted the client to know that the website, like the house, is not a huge business. The customer will not be treated like one of a thousand customers. Just as the menu fonts take a tiny bit more time to read, we'll spend more time on the client. It's a feng shui type of attitude and probably seems hokey, but it's all about creating a mood, at least to me.

As for the green, I'm not sure if it looks really different on different monitors, but I wouldn't doubt it. A few months ago I bought a super-sharp 19-inch flat panel monitor, and even at a medium contrast and brightness level it is still far superior to my old monitor! So it would make sense to me that the green might look darker on other monitors (and thus the contrast with the text would be lower), but I don't think it would look brighter to someone else.

Cheers!
Brooke