Niggly bits including Canon Zoom Browser problem

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Chianti

Niggly bits including Canon Zoom Browser problem

Post by Chianti »

Help Help Help

My computer is driving me mad. It went down a couple of weeks ago, was fixed, it's been running faster and better, but disk check comes up most times I open it again, and worst of all, the red light on the hard drive comes on and that scares me that it's going down again. I only bought the new Microsoft programme a couple of years ago, but it's always given me problems.

What does the red light signify? No jokes

Because my computer disk checks so frequently, does that mean I have a major problem? It did it before I sent it away too.

Now for something I've done on my photo programme. I use Canon ZoomBrowser to download my photos, but not to view them. For that I use the Microsoft folder. I was messing about on ZoomBrowser, clicked on something and now when I try to view my photos in my photo file, it opens up ZoomBrowser and I don't want it to. Help

Last one. The forum kindly saved me in resetting the language so that I could use the @ button again, however, despite setting up the language as UK English, the button on the bottom toolbar defaults to Bill Gate's language, so I have to reset it every time I open my computer. How can I set it to stay in my Enlish & not his?

I apologise for putting this all on 1 thread but haven't time to do separate ones and I'm worried that my computer is going to shut down soon.

Thanks

Chianti

Maybe it's a bottle I need & not advice
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Chianti,

Some of your explanations are a bit hard to follow, but before we even start, have you got a good back up of all your files and photos ? I use an external hard drive, but there are many different solutions. This won't fix any of your problems, but it will help you sleep at night cos it does sound like you may have something to worry about.

When you say:
disk check comes up most times I open it again
Can you explain what it actually says on the screen when "it comes up" ?
I only bought the new Microsoft programme a couple of years ago
What "Microsoft program" ? Or do you just mean Microsoft Windows ?

One thing I can possibly help with is:
it opens up ZoomBrowser and I don't want it to
I think that what you want is the following:
Open Windows Explorer (I thnk this is what you call the Microsoft folder). Make sure that the highlight is on My Documents, then click Tools > Folder Options... Go to the tab File Types and you'll see a long list of Extensions and File Types. Scroll down looking for Extension JPEG and JPG. In the little info box below that it will say "Opens with..." and next to that you can click Change... Then you will see anothe list of programs and I suspect you want to select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". Click OK and OK again. Do this twice (once for JPEG and once for JPG) then next time you double click on a picture in Windows explorer, assuming I have understood your problem, it should not open Canon ZoomBrowser.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti,
What does the red light signify? No jokes.
Without knowing what applications you are running it's impossible to give an answer. The red light normally indicates that the drive is being accessed.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Richard and Alan

Thanks :!: Because I'm not technical and I was writing my post about 4:30am I can understand that it might be hard to follow. I'll try the Zoom Browser trick in a minute. If it lets me view as I used to you, will have solved a most frustrating problem.

Yes I do mean Microsoft Home & Office.

I have backed up most of my photos on disk, but make so many new ones it's difficult to keep track of what's saved & what's not, but I'll try to work on it tonight. I have never kept important documents on my hard drive, madness to do so.

Alan I'm not sure you're right on the red light, but I hope so. It comes on when I'm not doing anything. It's flashing while I type this. I worry because I only noticed it just before my computer went down a few weeks ago.

The disk checks are for orphaned files. I can write down some of the detail on the next one if it helps. They started within a day or 2 of the computer being repaired, which surprised me a bit.

The other problem is in making the language stay set please.

Thank you both

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote: Alan I'm not sure you're right on the red light, but I hope so. It comes on when I'm not doing anything. It's flashing while I type this. I worry because I only noticed it just before my computer went down a few weeks ago.
It’s terribly easy for me to say that the drive indicator light lights up when the drive is being accessed for read or for write purposes because that’s what it does.

The trouble is that, without being able to carry out an in-depth analysis of your PC, it’s impossible to even guess at which applications or processes are reading from or writing to the drive. It really could be anything from insufficient CPU memory through to a process set to use the hard drive for temporary caching purposes.

I agree that there appears to be something not quite right but I don’t think your flashing red light is an indication of a hard drive about to fail.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

Thanks for the detail, lets hope it doesn't indicate a problem. by jove it's not lit while I'm typing this one.

Richard

I did as you said for my pics but it didn't work. It's just occured to me that maybe I have to restart before it will, so I will.

Thanks

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:Richard

I did as you said for my pics but it didn't work. It's just occured to me that maybe I have to restart before it will, so I will.

Thanks

Chianti
One further note, when making permanent changes don't click "OK", click "Apply".

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Richard and Alan

I'm thankfully now back to Microsoft Photo Editor but only because I had to do it again when I reopened my computer. Wasn't quite sure what I was doing but it looked right. It's not exactly the same as before, but I may be able to adapt it. The big change is that ZoomBrowser doesn't open.

There was no apply button, I think in this case they just used OK & it is now :lol:

Thank you both so much.

Chianti