Posters, postcards and business cards

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
kendalcottages

Posters, postcards and business cards

Post by kendalcottages »

I have finally got around to getting some posters, postcards and business cards professionally printed.

That's A4 posters on the left, business cards top right (front and back), and postcards bottom right (front and back).

I'm quite pleased with the results, but now need to put them to work so am looking for inspiration as to where to send them.

For the posters, I had thought about information centres and libraries (if they'll have them - many won't), dentists, doctors, newsagents, office staff rooms, etc.

For the postcards, my primary intention was to just leave these in the accommodation for people to use as they wish (preferably to send to friends and family to tell them what a wonderful time they are having, rather than to use as shopping lists).

Business cards: my thoughts here were to just have some with me and distribute to friends and people who I encounter/happen to chat with. Maybe even leave a few in choice locations.

I often see holidaymakers (or people who I assume are on holiday) in town. Is it a bit much to approach them 'cold' and say "hey, if you're ever visiting the area again, please bear us in mind..."? My guess is the answer is "yes, probably". :?

Any other ideas on how I can get the word out with this material?

Thank you.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
tim441

Post by tim441 »

looks very smart!

I leave some business cards at the main pubs and restaurants in the area - especially the ones i recommend to guests.

I found it was best to get some business card holders like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Business-c ... 600wt_1139

and glue one card to it so it does not get pinched or used for other cards!!!!

Did you get them done by Vistaprint?
The classic, quintessential english country cottage
http://www.dorset-somerset-holiday-cottages.co.uk
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Thanks, Tim... that sounds like a good idea.

And no, I didn't use Vistaprint. I made them up in Photoshop myself and then got quotes from various printers in the local area, before plumping for a printer that happens to be in Kendal.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Maurmc

Re: Posters, postcards and business cards

Post by Maurmc »

kendalcottages wrote:
I often see holidaymakers (or people who I assume are on holiday) in town. Is it a bit much to approach them 'cold' and say "hey, if you're ever visiting the area again, please bear us in mind..."? My guess is the answer is "yes, probably". :?
I think it would "cheapen" your accommodation to approach people 'cold'.
The business cards, postcards etc look great. I'd suggest leaving business cards in your accommodation too. I don't send postcards but would probably take a business card.
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We haven't done posters but have postcards & business cards. We leave the postcards in our cottage for guests to use and that seems to have gone down well. We don't do our own changeovers so have just left a pile entrusting it won't be abused and so far so good. We also leave business cards in the cottage and these too go down so clearly being taken by guests hopefully to distribute to friends/family or at least to remind them of our website/contact details.
We have bought some business card holders and left them & some business cards in various places locally including an inn,local farm shop that is highly popular,a local tea room,and several other shops that tourists like to visit.We also carry some with us :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....