What to do?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

What to do?

Post by roxytoo »

I gave a price for a couple for an 8 week let from beg Jan which ends on Monday. They paid all upfront, I gave them a good deal as they were going to also book Sept -March 2006 and they gave small deposit for that. They said (after 'friends and parents had booked their flights) was it ok for them to stay for a week each, I said ok (what else could I do they had already booked flights) being that I was going to get a 6 month winter let later on. She phones a few weeks ago to cancel the long let as the place was too small and she had put a deposit on somehwere bigger. It turns out that of the 8 weeks let there were 4 of them in there for 5 weeks and at one point for a week there were 6 (surprise surprise she thought it was too small!!)

Now I took a separate depoist cheque for £100 but haven't banked it. (I know I will have to start banking them!) Thing is they are due back on Monday, do I pre-empt it and bank the money before I advise they own me some money (they will probably cancel the cheque if they haven't already done so) or do I wait and fight it out????
tansy

Post by tansy »

do you have terms of business? Mine state that they must declare any extra staying - therefore I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to pay extra for all the extra hot water, heating whatever...that is the tact I would take....remarket the long stay as quickly as possible...but give her a run for her money!

Good luck...but don't get stressed it isn't worth it. :)
Ju

Post by Ju »

When you say deposit cheque do you mean a security deposit, or do you mean a deposit cheque for the winter let. If it is the latter bank the cheque as soon as possible.

We state in our terms and conditions that the occupancy of the property must not be exceeded. If yours don't say this then add it.

It might be a good idea to be a little harder in future, if someone has already booked their flights without first checking if they could stay in the property, then I would be very nice about it, and give them a list of local B+Bs. I'm not sure there is much point in having terms and conditions if we don't stick to them.

Ju
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

It is a security deposit cheque for this rental (finishes tomorrow) I have banked the deposit cheque for the longer term rental which I don't think they realised was a non refundable one so they won't be getting that one back! Terms and conditions do state the amount of people, you are right in that I should have been harder, still you live and learn and I won't be so easy next time! Just worried about the water and electric bills now, will have to wait and see!