To hold or not to hold

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Well, of the four parties we were holding for, three have now booked. The forth had the decency to let me know that they didn't want to go ahead.

Ju :D :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Ju,

Thats a good result then well done!!
LV said
I often hold for up to a week for group bookings, it takes them a lot longer to get organised.
Thats true Susan.
I hold for a few days while they discuss things[what I actually say is 'I will pencil you in']
But after about 3 days I check back.
I expect to get the deposit within the next couple of days after that.
Havent had too many let me down.

A couple of years ago ,someone swore the chq had been sent[and I believed her :roll: ] even worrying [on her behalf]that it had got lost in the post.
Oh she said 'Ive been to to the Post Office to query it they cant understand it either'???
'Oh I will send another one'...
Two days later.
'Weve changed our minds, but I did send the initial chq.'
[Oh I will tear up the lost chq when it comes then :roll:]

Gimme a break!!
Wont tell you the response she got!!

You get a feel for them I think though after a while.
istrianholidays

Post by istrianholidays »

When I receive an enquiry (if the dates are available) I respond to enquiries saying that the date is available and if they wish to book they need to send me an email confirming that they want to book. On this email, I will then send them a booking form. Until I send the booking form, I still consider an enquiry and do not hold anything.

Once they have come back, and I send them a booking form, and I then state in my e-mail that I will hold for 7 days whilst they make the bank transfer of their deposit and return the booking form. I also ask them to drop me an e-mail to confirm once they have instructed their bank so that I can keep an eye out for the payment.

If two people are interested in the same period, the first one to respond to request the booking form gets the booking (and I hold for 7 days for them whilst they get the deposit across).

I've not yet had a situation where someone has not made their deposit payment within the 7 days - althought I think I did have one group who wrote back a couple of days later to say the size of their party had changed and they now had to go elsewhere.

If I did not receive the deposit within 7 days, I would chase once, and if no response, would put back on the market.

Rgds, Jen
J&J

Post by J&J »

We rarely "hold" a booking. I don't email out the booking form until they say they are ready to make a firm booking, until then it is first come, first served. Very occasionally, if asked, I will agree to phone them if I get another enquiry for the same dates within a given few days. If I were then to be in that position (which I never have), it is simple, I would phone and give them the first opportunity to make a firm booking but if they weren't ready to confirm then they would lose out.