How quickly do you reply!!!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Big Sis..

How quickly do you reply!!!

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All, :)

On another thread it was mentioned that Enquiries arent always answered quickly ,
from an Enquirers point of view.

Which Im sure is true :roll: .

But I think it really is important to answer Quickly [whether you can accomodate people or not].

I answer immediately usually, but at least within a few hours.

Which I think had helped me, with quite a few of the enquiries Ive converted to bookings.

As of course, they are usually enquiring at a few places at once.

What do others do?

How long on average, from the initial enquiry, can you/do you reply ?
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Max 8 to 10 hours depending on when the enquiry comes in and what i have on at the time . In some cases its been within minutes as if i am already on the computer then its answered straight away.Also now check emails on the mobile if i am out all day
Agree you have to respond quickly , as you say i am sure they email others at the same time so aways think its good to respond quickly
Nessie
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

We try to reply asap and sometimes it is immediate response but the latest is 2 hours. On average, I think we are pretty quick - about 10 to 15 mins, particularly helped by the advent of smtext alerts.
We think it is really important to respond rapidly and our last booking guest but one, actually complained that he couldn't get hold of anyone when he was doing a general booking check prior to booking. He was in a hurry to book, so we probably gained from the fact that our answer was immediate and we entered into dialogue. As he put it, there was a human being at the end of the line.
We do have an answering machine to but haven't found any guest using it so far.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I always reply on the same day. Usually it's pretty immediate as I check the computer for mail every time I walk past! Really must get out more. :)
mon269

Post by mon269 »

I try to respond asap and normally manage to get a response within a couple of hours.

I always respond with an email even if they send their phone number with the enquiry as this is how I would like to be contacted if I was the enquirer. This had work quite well so far but in the last couple of months I have had possibly received the highest number of enquiries but also the highest percentage of non responders. I am quite worried about this because a number of those enquiries were for shoulder dates and I wonder if they received my emails.

A couple of days ago, I got an enquiry through a listing site and as usual I responded within the hour. The next day, in the evening I got a phone call from the same person asking me the same questions. When I asked if he had received my email, his response was “I don’t check my emails often.� Clearly, this person was expecting a phone call from me and not an email. Could this be the case for most people? Is it possible that most enquirers expect a phone call and only check their emails every so often, and by then they have sorted their accommodation with someone that called them straight away? Could this be the reason for my 90% (guessed figure) of non responders?

I hope I’ve not gone too far off topic here.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We also answer all queries within 1-2 hours maximum, unless they come in during the night (especially US and Australia). Massively helped by the Blackberry - would now not consider being in business, especially this one, without a Blackberry.

I agree about punters often not checking their emails often and this is partly down to them not expecting to get a quick response from owners.

I used to call quite a lot of people back but have got a bit lazy about it now that we get so many enquiries (inevitable with 5 units to let). I am sure that I got people to book in the past just because I called them back immediately and asked if they would like to confirm straight away by giving me their credit card details - many people reach for their wallet without thinking! Fortunately, they have all enjoyed themselves. :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

When I asked if he had received my email, his response was “I don’t check my emails often.� Clearly, this person was expecting a phone call from me and not an email. Could this be the case for most people? Is it possible that most enquirers expect a phone call and only check their emails every so often, and by then they have sorted their accommodation with someone that called them straight away? Could this be the reason for my 90% (guessed figure) of non responders?
Well thats really interesting Mon!!.....

I hardly ever phone people,
unless I need something clarifying.
Because I personally wouldnt like it,
not after an initial email[but I know some on here do]

But you are right!!.
Lots of people only check their emails sporadically.

When Ive tried to contact them after theyve booked, I sometimes have to ring, because my emails not been answered and theyve said the same.

I suppose because we are on our computers regularly, we assume others are as well..

mmm Food for thought!!!

Thanks for posting
Could this be the reason for my 90% (guessed figure) of non responders?
I dont think it would explain this completely though, I think you will find a lot dont bother to respond[theres a thread on it somewhere]
Its just making sure theyve actually received our response thats difficult isnt it..

Take Carexx
I am sure that I got people to book in the past just because I called them back immediately and asked if they would like to confirm straight away by giving me their credit card details - many people reach for their wallet without thinking! Fortunately, they have all enjoyed themselves.
:wink: :lol:

Whatever works Margaret!!!
Fil

Post by Fil »

I try to answer as quickly as possible and this is clearly much apreciated by inquirers. Many times they are checking flights at the same time and a fast answer is very important.
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Could this be the reason for my 90% (guessed figure) of non responders?
I dont think it would explain this completely though, I think you will find a lot dont bother to respond[theres a thread on it somewhere]
Its just making sure theyve actually received our response thats difficult isnt it..
I see I didn’t explain myself very well. Roughly speaking, I don’t get responses from about 50% of the enquiries, but this has gone up to close to 90% in the last couple of months. It is in fact the change that I don’t understand.
gpck

Post by gpck »

We respond as quickly as possible - usually within minutes of the enquiry coming in, unless of course it's overnight...

When we were in Spain recently, we had no internet access, so came home to about 40 million emails (probably a slightly exagerated figure there... :shock: ), and actually managed to convert one of the enquiries into a booking, even though we'd taken a few days to reply...
gpck
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Everyone's different. From the guy who emails the enquiry and can then think "well, that's off my to-do-list" to the folk who expect an immediate response and aren't happy even if you do reply within 2 hours. I try not to be tied to my emails (but do get itchy feet if I can't check them at least twice a day) and have put on our website that we will reply within 24 hours unless we're out in the hills ourselves.

I also follow up all enquiries after about 2-3 days to make sure they've received our reply - and often aim to do this at the same time of day as the original enquiry (OK, not 3 am, but you get my drift) in case the enquirer usually does personal emails at the same time of day.

Doesn't help to explain why you've had a drop-off in conversions from enquiries to bookings though. Is it 'cos you're now receiving enquiries for out of season weeks and there is lots of choice? I recently had one enquiry for next April and when I heard nothing back, I chased it up as normal and received an email to say they had booked elsewhere because it was cheaper. C'est la vie!

Christine
Wol

Post by Wol »

A lot of people maintain a number of email addresses to try to keep the spam irritation levels manageable ie they have one or two addresses that they use for making enquiries over the net, but they do not use the address that they use between friends for instance. Quite often, I don't think people check the 'sacrificial' addresses more than once a week, because even with a decent spam filter, it can involve deleting dozens of spam emails because the address has been harvested in some way, or added to an unwanted mailing list by the recipient. I am quite sure that no one from LMH does this sort of thing, but the enquirer has probably had bad experiences and wisely doesn't trust businesses with their 'real' address.

A friend of the Wizard's, who runs nature tours in the Pyrenees, says that she gets a great deal of business because she replies to emails. She is astonished at the number of times she has been told that people booked with her because she was the only person who responded to their enquiry. I am astonished too :shock:
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
helene

Post by helene »

I too try and respond within a few hours or next morning if it has been receievd overnight and I do think it makes a big difference (at least that is what some of the enquirers have told me). I have tended not to go down the phone route unless there is a query I want to ask as I feel (personal) that it is an intrusion (like Mon269) - although I can hear myself argue that if they do not want to be phoned they would not include their number. So maybe I will get into the habit as well of phoning to confirm they have all they want to make a decision.

However the point about not checking certain mailboxes very often is taken and I too have noticed that sometimes it takes 1 to 2 weeks before people respond so either they are making comparisons or they have not checked their mail.

I am not sure whether I have the same experience as Mon269 with falling response rates recently. However it may be that this early, propsepctive renters have lots of choice and therefore do not feel pressurised to make a quick decision and cheaper properties may be goal. In any event I have noticed earlier enquireies and bookings this year.
regards
helene
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Minor thread creep - On the subject of phone vs email:

My phone number is available on all listing sites and my own enquiry page. If the prospect prefers telephone, then they will call me and I'll talk (and talk, and talk), but if they email, I figure thats what they prefer and will respond accordingly.

Personally, I far prefer email as I then have a detailed record of everything thats been said, not said, promised or agreed.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Richard I totally agree :) .

In fact someone just rang me asking prices etc and I asked them to email me, as then we both have a record of it...