How quickly do you reply!!!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Christine, Helene, I think you may have a point there. In a way, no, the enquiries are not for out of season dates, they are for Christmas, New Year and some Spanish bank holidays happening before the end of the year. These are all very popular dates and often people struggle to find accommodation. However, they may feel that it is still early (Spanish bookings are usually very, very short notice) and they may be shopping around.

I converted an enquiry yesterday for 11 days over Christmas and New Year. It was over the phone. :roll:
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

As we are members of YHM, we comply with the “sundowner rule� and reply by close of play.

I only advertise via the Web, so find that everyone is comfortable with email, and very rarely receive any telephone enquiries. I always reply by email, as we will then both have a record of exactly what was offered and accepted.

I don't follow up email enquiries to ask if they have decided yet... I personally would find this a little intrusive, so leave it to the enquirer to get back to me if they wish. I use MS Outlook, and it is possible for me to request a delivery & read receipt on the email I send - I'm then sure that they have received and read my message.

As 62% of enquiries result in bookings, it seems to work for us (I have excluded enquiries from persons asking for dates which are already booked as these can never result in a booking).
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

e-richard wrote:If the prospect prefers telephone, then they will call me and I'll talk (and talk, and talk), but if they email, I figure thats what they prefer and will respond accordingly.
I'm with you on this e-Richard, unless the email enquiry is such that it would be more effectively answered by phone for some reason. I can't think of an example right now but I have had the occasional one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Stu

Post by Stu »

....obviously not quick enough! Who got the booking? :D
Marks

Post by Marks »

Each to their own I suppose but my views are:

- If an enquirier gives a telephone number then they don't mind being called

- When I speak to people they invariably say I'm the first or only one to have called them

- The vast majority I speak to prefer that contact not an impersonal email

- Telephone conversations can be confirmed by email

- I have gained bookings by sending a follow up email

- Finally, and most importantly, I get more bookings by picking up the phone compared to just an email reply :)

Call me old fashioned but people still like to be spoken to and it enables me to sell my apartment in a way that an email can't.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mark said,
Telephone conversations can be confirmed by email
Thats true Mark! when someone calls me.
I do say, please email me after weve chatted, to clarify things.
I also include my mobile number and am happy to take initial enquiries on that wherever I am[and feel Ive got bookings because of it]

Just that generally I dont call them[unless theres something unusual on the email]
Finally, and most importantly, I get more bookings by picking up the phone compared to just an email reply
Mark .
If it works for you that IS the most important thing isnt it... :)
Good For You!
We all have different approaches and I dont think any of them are wrong...

Makes this Forum interesting to share them I feel!!

Take Carexx
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Mark S wrote:Each to their own I suppose...
I think what we are seeing played out, is the different communication preferences of property owners.

This is an interesting for me because I have been studying Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) which says we all have a Preferred Representational System from:
Visual
Auditory
Kinesthetic
Visuals see the world, Auditories hear it and Kinesthetics feel it.

Our preferred system influences our communication style. I know I'm visual (so prefer email) and I'd say it's a safe bet that Mark S is auditory (so prefers the phone).

The key to NLP though, is in adapting to the customer. So, you might ask them "Would you prefer contact by phone or email" and then follow their preference. Some will self-select by ringing you, but there may be a fair few of the email enquirers who would prefer being spoken to, if we have them the choice.

The concept is explained in more detail here:
http://www.new-oceans.co.uk/new/learn.htm
Some more on the application of this in marketing can be found here:
http://www.broadsystem.com/infobank/nlp.htm
(I've no connection to the companies, I've just found them on Google).

If we can all adapt more to the customer's preferred style, then we will all be more successful in turning enquiries into bookings!
Marks

Post by Marks »

LVT - That may well be true :)

Someone once said to me a few years ago that "email is the enemy of quick resolution" which is very true. Ever since then I have always reached for the phone rather than the keyboard 8)

Interesting articles here about the use of email v productivity in the workplace:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7049275.stm

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/ ... 800175.ece

and email related stress with some interesting stats:

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/aug/12/news
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Finally, and most importantly, I get more bookings by picking up the phone compared to just an email reply
I checked my stats yesterday. About 1/3 of my enquiries are over the phone. However, 70% of my bookings come from those enquiries. I guess this either means that I can deal with enquiries better over the phone :shock: or that when people use the phone to get in touch they are more willing to book. Probably the latter. :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

mon269 wrote: I guess this either means that I can deal with enquiries better over the phone :shock: or that when people use the phone to get in touch they are more willing to book. Probably the latter. :roll:
Yes Mon, good point I think - that's probably the case and has been my experience - ie the ones who call are keenest. They usually have a query about something and if you satisfy them on that point they go ahead and book straight away.
Ju

Post by Ju »

LaVilleauTady wrote:(I have excluded enquiries from persons asking for dates which are already booked as these can never result in a booking).
Don't bet on it. I often manage to get a booking even if the dates they want are already booked. This is especially true if you phone people as it is easier to convince them that the alternative dates (or property) would suit them.

Ju
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Spot on, Ju. I agree totally. For me, that's the thrill of the chase. And it's amazing how many people will change dates or properties.

I haven't yet perfected the technique of persuading would-be guests that they really want to stay for two weeks, not one. I'm working on it :D .

Christine
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Another canny member here convinced me that one can frequently manipulate guests re their dates if they're enquiring well enough in advance; I swallowed hard and for next year have succeeded to get back to back 2-week bookings from mid-June through to late September, with just a neat two-week slot waiting for the right claimant to come along at the end of August.

Did some of this persuading by email and some by phone - local tended to be by phone.

Last year, though I had stated that priority was given to two-week bookings in high and peak season, I accepted their dates without trying to suggest they come a week earlier or a week later. Thus we ended up with a good few single weeks which we filled, but lost out a bit in that we had more changeovers to pay for.
domuscolosseo

Post by domuscolosseo »

I agree!
It is always better to answer quickly!

Carolina
www.domuscolosseo.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Well, GG, you have inspired me. I shall maybe go for the "less haste, more two week bookings" approach ..... if I dare!

Christine