Any chance of a wee review?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Jilly

Any chance of a wee review?

Post by Jilly »

Hi,

I have just 're-vamped' my web site, but am not quite happy with it, although don't know why! The site covers both our properties - the one we livein and operate as a B&B, and our odl house, which we now let.

I am using FrontPage, and learning all the time, but coud be missing some basic design skills?

jilly
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Jilly

I've just had a quick look at your website and I liked it. I think you are being a little hard on yourself.

One or two small points.

- the font is quite difficult to read, it might be worth trying something different (you'll have to ask the "experts" on this forum which are best)

- I like the background colour to the site, but the photos which are in frames haven't got the same colour round the edges, this would look nicer.

- I am personally not keen on websites where the menu bar takes you further down the same page. Could you split it up a bit more so that the accomodation in on one page, the pricing on another etc.

Overall though I liked the effect.

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

I think it looks great...well done...easy on the eye, easy to read and I thought inviting....I like the idea of the pictures in a frame.
Fraise

Re: Any chance of a wee review?

Post by Fraise »

Jilly wrote:Hi,

I have just 're-vamped' my web site, but am not quite happy with it, although don't know why! The site covers both our properties - the one we livein and operate as a B&B, and our odl house, which we now let.

I am using FrontPage, and learning all the time, but coud be missing some basic design skills?

jilly
:? :? Hi- I'm either confused or something is missing??Sorry but I can't see any web site name??
Maybe the sun today has gone to my head? :?:

Doh!!!!!!!!!Sorry- of course,the button on the bottom!!!
Is it possible to put more pictures on your site? The glimpses were good but I wanted more!

www.thepetitmanoir.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Jilly,

I'm with everyone else -- what's wrong with it? I think it looks fine.

The only thing I would suggest on the main page is making the background of the centered links the same light yellow as the rest of the page. As a matter of taste I'm not a big fan of grey backgrounds. I actually like the "Small Caps" font style very much, though.

There are some tricks you could use if you want to keep the information for each rental all on the same page, but want to make it seem more like separate pages. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you an example.

Cheers!
Brooke
A-two

My 2 cents

Post by A-two »

Hi Jilly,
It looks like a wonderful place, and overall, I think you've done a great job to make it look very inviting, but allow me to suggest some things that I think would make the site easier to navigate.

On the Home Page, I would lose the menu buttons under each property, replacing them with a bold quote and/or short description and a button to "click for more information" or similar text. There are various reasons for my suggesting this, including:-

All you're asking people to do on the Home page is to absorb the fact that you are offering two types of accomodation, self-catering or not, and to tell them that you have lots more information available on the site to compare detail if they want to know more. That's all I think you ought to be trying to do as a first introduction, as well, you're offering more information about the area in general, which I like.

First I would lead them by the hand a little so far as youur accomodation, and ask them first to decide whether they want more info on self-catering or the Guest House, then I would give them all the details on that one property - with easy access to the other one at every stage of the process. I would add more buttons to compare between the two, without having to go back to the Home Page.

For example, when you have rates for one property, have a button next it that links to rates on the other property and so on.

For this reason, it would be adviseable to make the pages for each property look slightly different, not confusingly similar, so it's easy to remember which is which. A design distinction between the individual properties could be achieved by different color headings, or to be more obvious, a different page background color. You could also have a different border color on the photos. Think of it as two different departments of the same store - each has bold signage to distinguish which section you're in, but all within an overall corporate design style.

Again, from a design perspective, it is always better not to have the eye split between left and right of page when you're asking people to compare two things - keep them side by side. I have never been very good at making my left eye read a left hand column at the same time my right eye is reading the right column!! In fact, on my PC, I had to scroll right to see the second property at all, so in addition to scanning across the page, I have to coordinate my mouse to scroll - this is trickier than it need be.

You have gorgeous photos, but they would have greater impact if larger. On the Home Page. if you made these larger and positioned side by side center page underneath the main photo, both could be compared without scrolling and scanning. In effect, you would have a single column at the top, split into two columns underneath. Alternatively, make a 3 column layout with the intro in column 1, and the two properties side by side in columns 2 & 3.

Another reason to loose the menu on the Home Page is that when I clicked it, I found myself in the middle of another page that I hadn't seen before, which confused me. I want to start at the top of a new page please. For the same reason, I would even go so far as to delete the first set of menu buttons at the top of the second page, so that both the home page and the first paragraph on each property has to be scanned before the rest of the subcategories become apparent underneath.

I don't mean to be overly critical, as what you have done is good, but with a little tweaking here and there, you would end up with not just good, but exceptional.

Hope this helps and please excuse the typos here, no time to spell check but I hope you get the ideas!

All the best,
Joanna

www.southold-beach-house.com
theplim

whats wrong?

Post by theplim »

hi
i concur with the rest of the postings generally a very good site, but i do agree with Ju. peronally like sites that fit virtually on a screen and you dont have to scroll forever, but thats just my choice, others wont / dont agree.

the only other three small points are.

1. the photos with the white frame dont seem quite right. would suggest that it is changed to a darker yellow to contrast with the light yellow background, with a edge border or if possible a dropshadow.

2. the mutual links.. looking at the source, you have two tables, i would combine them , that way the links would be kept in columns better down the length of the page (also cant seem to go anywhere from the more link or is it just me?)

3. the 'Home' button, at the bottom of the page, would, i think be better if it was included in the side menu for the site, so you can get back to the home page to link to the other half of the site easily.

i like the way you can to vary the size of font for accessability. nice touch.

the plim :lol:
The answers are correct ... it's the questions that are wrong!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Jilly,

All good advice above. I would underline the need for bigger pictures because you have very good pictures to show, especially of the views.

On your Little Keills page, your strongest pic, of the view out of the window, is at the bottom - should be at the top.

On your Ardtornish page, I am seeing your text cut off on the right.

Another reason why you might separate out the various sections into different pages is that when I hit my Back button, instead of going back a page I go back to another part of the same page.

Are you still there, Jilly? I see you haven't posted anything since your original post over a month ago. Are you reading any of this? :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
hardwrknmama

Post by hardwrknmama »

I think it looks great. I really like the flow of it. Good job!
enid

Post by enid »

Iliked it and would definitely put you on my shortlist - in fact I already have!! You have had a lot of good advice already above and my response is purely gut reaction - but I'd love some more photos.
annemarie

fonts/spacing

Post by annemarie »

The font seems to changes size and spacing throughout, sometimes it is justified, sometimes not. Also spacing between bullets jumps from single to double spacing. Maybe that's what's bothering you? Its a subtle thing, maybe why you cant quite identify what it is that's bothering you?
Jilly

thank you!

Post by Jilly »

Thank you all for your comments about the site - I will certainly be taking some of them up. And apoligies for delayed response - I had a major disaster with a wiped hard drive and lost the site. It has taken me a long time to get a) my computer fixed, b) the site downloaded for editing, and c) retrieve info for the sites I used (including this one). So, just back, and thanks again :D