Electrical safety testing

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Joanna

Electrical safety testing

Post by Joanna »

I'm looking into electrical safety testing - apparently there is a 5 yearly 'periodic inspection report' as well as annual 'portable appliance testing'. From what I've read it seems that they aren't legally required for holiday lets but may be a good idea in terms of proving that we've made sure that the place is safe.

Has anyone else had any electrical testing done? And if so, how often?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Not a clue, sorry. But I do know, in the UK, that the cheap 'n' cheerful electricians that we used to use have all disappeared with the advent of the new regs. and qualifications about a year ago(?).

I guess that's a good thing, but we don't know what to ask for now (qualifications).

MG
J&J

Post by J&J »

The electrical inspection can be carried out by any N.I.E.I.C. registered electrical contractor. For a domestic property it shouldn't take too long although the subsequent completion of the paperwork and certificates can be a bit time consuming. I would guess you are probably looking at something like about £200 ish. The important thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a simple pass or fail. You need to study the recommendations (if any) on the certificate which will be graded from advisory to dangerous, and assess what further action you need to take. A good electrical contractor will discuss this with you.

Portable appliance testing ("PAT test") is a different matter and you will find lots of people offering this service - some good and useful and many who are hopeless and just want to take your money. At one time, the H&SE issued guidance that a good way to choose someone to carry out PAT testing is only to us someone who you would trust to repair the items being tested. The electrician you use for the electrical inspection may well be a good choice if he offers this service even though he may be a little more expensive. Results are pass or fail but it is useful to keep a record of the actual measurements taken so thatt they can be compared from test to test. This will enable you to see if deterioration is taking place which might result in the appliance developing a fault condition before the next test is due.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Joanna. We had our portable appliance testing done in March of this year - and have been given varying bits of advice on how often it should be done.

It cost us about £200.00 for three properties and was well worth it ... if just for the peace of mind. What shocked me was that a number of the lamps (which we had bought in the last three months) were faulty - crossed or loose wires. These problems were all put right as part of the testing.

I had it done as part of my fire risk assessment. For guests staying in our cottages they can see that we are taking things seriously. Our plan is to have the testing done every year, although we have been told for the B&B we only need to have it done every two years. It seems to be another of those wonderful grey areas.

Hope this helps :wink:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I've booked a landlords electrical safety test for this week - which includes portable appliances and a report with recommendations on other aspects of the electrics.

The electrician (who was recommended by a local estate agent's letting office) said that most landlords were happy with this report.

It's not the full 'Periodic Inspection Report' which goes into more depth e.g. unscrewing sockets to inspect the wiring behind them.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

J&J in Brittany wrote:Portable appliance testing ("PAT test") is a different matter and you will find lots of people offering this service - some good and useful and many who are hopeless and just want to take your money.
Until a couple of years ago I used to be the IT Application Integration and Support Manager for the HSS Hire Group.

Did you know that you can go into any branch of HSS and they will carry out PAT testing for you? I can vouch that they do take it very seriously and their fitters are all fully trained.

More details here:
http://www.hss.com/index.php?f=content/tool_repairs.htm

(I'm going to email a link to this post to the HSS Marketing Manager - to show him that even now, I am still loyal to my old company :lol: )