Livebox installation

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Hells Bells

Livebox installation

Post by Hells Bells »

I'm off to the apartment in a couple of days,and one of the jobs will be setting up the broadband internet access using a Livebox. I have searched the forum, but can't find what I was looking for. I seem to remember someone posting a link to a 'stickie' on another forum. I am keen to save some of these hints and tips onto my computer, in case I can't get connected.
J&J

Post by J&J »

If it isn't already too late, then save yourself a lot of trouble and don't accept a Livebox from Orange. If you just have a simple ADSL connection and buy your own adsl modem/router then you'll probably save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run - and have a better, more reliable, wifi network in your apartment.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Too late, it was on a free offer, and as I am short of time so will not have time to shop for another.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Here's a handy link:

http://zxon.notnet.co.uk/orange/

I must say ours has - touch wood! - been excellent so far....

I'd offer to help, but I think, as it's Mac, my setup will be a bit different..but I found that the guide that came with it was quite good. The only trouble I had was with passwords, so I left mine open which might not suit you...
Last edited by Martha on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think kathyg set hers up successfully, but fingers will be crossed

Thanks for the link
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well surprisingly following the instructions to the letter worked a treat, and it's not been any trouble at all since. Can't say the same thing for France Telecom though :evil:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

kathyg wrote:Well surprisingly following the instructions to the letter worked a treat, and it's not been any trouble at all since. Can't say the same thing for France Telecom though :evil:
Well guys, I am in the same boat as Helen - I shall be looking to set up my WiFi connection this winter. Kathy - what do you mean about FT? Did you get your livebox from Orange?

I have a FT phone line, but can I (should I?) still get my livebox from Orange?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

kathy, I have already had my troubles with France Telecom, as they installed the line in the wrong apartment. Did you install the Livebox software or can you just set it up manually?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Helen,
Yes I installed all the software too, only because I didn't know how not to, it's all been taken off now and still works fine.

NC,
The problems we've had with FT are the actual line - because I kept dropping the connection - first of all water had got into the line so they supposedly fixed that but within a few days it was doing it again. I've even had to put on my ad listings that we can't guarantee continuous internet access. Need to sort that out when we're next over! Got the Livebox from Orange.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Stu

Post by Stu »

We have Alice ADSL, with a WiFi router. It's been mostly good so far. Many guests have used it via a WEP key I provide and all have been impressed with both the ease of connection as well as speed etc. As usual, we've heard so many different tales about different companies, it really is down to what you, the end user needs.
ttp

Post by ttp »

I've installed a number of LiveBoxes & there are only 2 'problems'

1, Make sure MAC filtering is turned off if you want guests to use it.

2, You have to do a Ctrl F5 refresh after you change the Language to English.

Above all, don't install the Orange software.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

ttp, many thanks. I had read about a couple of 'problems' but couldn't find them, and I think thay may be the ones. Will I have a copy of the router settings if I don't install the software?
ttp

Post by ttp »

HelenB wrote:Will I have a copy of the router settings if I don't install the software?
If you go to Save/Erase/Reboot & click Save, the settings will be saved in the livebox but the only setting you need are contained in the letter from Orange.
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Cheers, will have to copy this somewhere.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OK, quick update. I managed to set it up within 10 minutes, with a slight hiccup in that I couldn't access many websites including Lay My Hat, a slight adjustment of the IP settings has solved that one so now all is well. I did use the Orange setup disk, but only to configure the Livebox and wireless network. I exited it before any software was installed. Now to make sure that my guests can access it too. Where do I turn of the MAC filtering?