Windows Vista.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Paul Carmel

Windows Vista.

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

I am about to buy a Acer travel laptop ( price :shock: ) And I can only have Vista. I realise this has been slagged to death in the past but how are you finding it now? have they smoothed out the glitches?
Cheers
PC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Paul, not used it myself, but son has it on his laptop, and hasn't complained. If he'd had problems I would have heard about it.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The problem for us is that we seem to use dozens of small progs. downloaded from various sources, and half of them don't yet function on Vista (I think) and it would be a serious step backwards until everyone catches up (if that's the correct phrase, which I doubt).

MG
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

No problems with mine Paul (Vista, home edition). Only problem is I have some games software, Monopoly, Boggle etc which won't load.

There is one feature I love, the Snipping tool. This allows you to take a screenshot of part of the screen and then highlight and draw on it. Previously I had to take screenshots into editing software, crop them put arrows etc. A very simple tool which saves time by being able to crop at the outset.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm sure these glitches will slowly diminish. Your biggest concern is really the peripherals that you have and plug into the back of your laptop. Things like printers, modems, routers, and other gadgets.

Some friends of ours recently upgraded to Vista and their (5 year old) Modem would not connect. When they asked the modem tech support geek for a solution the answer was "simply log in to our website and download the latest drivers" easy-peasy.

Hmmm, how do they log in to the website without a modem I wondered ?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks folks,

This is going to be used as a cheap surfer and the odd bit of word docs etc and not much else, hence the price. So it sounds like I should not face too much frustration. That said it will be in French............so we shall see!

Cheers all!
Cheers
PC
Stu

Post by Stu »

A severe malfunction of the old PC necessitated in my buying a new (French) one last weekend Paul. No problems whatsoever. It's actually quite an intuitive GUI, with lots of little 'bells & whistles' that are both simple to use & pleasing on the eye. Don't worry too much about modems etc. My CD for Alice wasn't recognised, but Vista recognised & set up the modem connection with minimal fuss.
If you need any help, drop me a line?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Stu wrote:If you need any help, drop me a line?
Thanks Stu, and every one else for your thoughts ( Stu, you might regret the above )
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Ok so this is driving me a little nuts. I am trying to find "The built-in Wireless support" within Vista Basic................plus it's all in French. The reason I need to find it is because I am trying to install the following

repeatit.se/support/usb/su2410usbhotspotboosterclient.4.4b231cd511170eec10e8000116106.html

The manual says I have to use the "The built-in Wireless support" to install the booster, but can I bloody find it, no!.........anyone got a clue??
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

It's sorted now.
Cheers
PC