What is it about beams?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Ju

What is it about beams?

Post by Ju »

I spend alot of time looking at our competition to see what we can do better, and I have noticed a trend to emphasize the number of exposed beams in a property. Some people even mention it in the title of their property, "Cottage with exposed beams to rent" and such like. The same tendancy seems to occur with stone walls.

So what exactly is the relationship between exposed beams and the number of bookings you get? Do people actually chose their holiday properties based on whether or not there are exposed beams?

Surely a photograph showing the beams is sufficient, rather than mentioning it on the description for every room. Maybe it has to be mentioned so often so the search engines pick it up. I have images of people searching web using "self catering accommodation with beams".

Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?

Ju

PS. Yes we do have both exposed beams and stone walls, but we don't actually mention them on our web site, perhaps we are missing out on business!
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

I have taken the reference to 'stone house' out of my ads and I am now having less booking enquiries! But seriously, I don't think it makes a big difference.

The appeal is in the traditional, rustic style that beamed stone properties offer - a bit like thatched tudor style cottage.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

One of the listing sites I use told me to mention the exposed stone walls inside my cottage. They do seem to be a selling point - past guest seem to mention them and think it makes the place look cosier/more authentic.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I hadn't thought about it...

but I suppose if the majority of people in the UK are now living in uniform boxes all in row courtesy of Mr Barrett homes...I suppose beams & stone tickles the imagination..it's different....we just take them for granted!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

tansy wrote:I hadn't thought about it...

but I suppose if the majority of people in the UK are now living in uniform boxes all in row courtesy of Mr Barrett homes...I suppose beams & stone tickles the imagination..it's different....we just take them for granted!
Oh, yes I suppose that's a good point. I do mention beams but only cos they are a very unusual sort, I wouldn't normally have thought to mention them. I never thought of mentioning the exposed stone walls,you are right- we take them for granted! Hmmm...maybe when I come to update the site( sooon hopefully,the interior is almost finished, just the outside to polish off now!!)I'll throw a few stone walls into the narrative!
Don't stand too close :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Actually, the exposed stone walls were a selling point with us when we bought the cottage, we kinda fell in love with it. If anyone is worried about noise, (their own or others) I tell them that the walls are nearly 2 feet thick so it's not a problem!!

Only thing is with the stone being irregular angles it does catch the dust so we have to vaccum the walls now and again!
kismet

Post by kismet »

I'd have it in the text as well. It may be an irritant to you, but if people read it and see it in your photos it reinforces the fact to them. I'm no psychologist, but I think when you advertise anything a little passive reinforcement helps. People might also print out a text only copy of the site for reference and showing to others.
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

Ok. So I have added in the reference to beams again. I now expect enquiries to flood in!!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

"Only thing is with the stone being irregular angles it does catch the dust so we have to vaccum the walls now and again!"
OOOH- in our holiday home ( not the website one) I'm always having to vac the walls- people think I'm barmy!!! I may well be but we get salt petre on the downstairs walls- nearly every downstairs room is thick exposed stone- they look brill but are high maintenance!! :cry:
www.thepetitmanoir.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

The thought of someone vac-ing their walls at least makes me feel better about having caught myself washing the coal shovel this morning :shock: .
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Christine Kenyon wrote:The thought of someone vac-ing their walls at least makes me feel better about having caught myself washing the coal shovel this morning :shock: .
:P Perhaps we should start a club, I wonder what other weird things people have to do other than vacuuming walls and washing coal scuttles? :twisted:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I just dread to think what the qualifications would be for membership of the Club, Fraise!!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

This might sound funny, but I always figured I was lazy for vacuuming the walls! I picture my mother-in-law shaking her head and wondering why I can't just dust like regular people. Vacuuming is fast and easy!
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hey but you can't just dust saltpetre off walls!!It would go eveywhere! I'd need about 20 dusters anyway to hold it all ( maybe I'm underestimating here).Oh,it might impress your MiL having all those dusters fluttering on the line though,when you've washed them afterwards!! :lol:
www.thepetitmanoir.com