Dial up test please for our site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Lee, that's looking much better. I like the omnipresent enquiry/calendar idea, though it would be good if when you click on the dates it pre-fills the form above.

Ideas:

- Top left headline: drop the font size down a tad for the second headline, it competes/clashed with main headline

- Comfortable for 2-4: drop it down a line to give it overall balance, looks bunched up below your sub-heading.

- H1 in the content area (canvas): To break up the monotony of the grey text perhaps consider using a different colour. Freshen it up a bit

- Nav bar: when viewing one of the options perhaps use the state you're using for the mouseover as the 'on' state.

All in all, this is much better - not trying to be too clever. Nice and simple - great job!
Last edited by Garri on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garri

Post by Garri »

duplicated. Couldn't delete.
Last edited by Garri on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Cheers

I am being told to go back to the green theme I had before by my other half as it goes with the decor in the lounge (not seen on pics) !!!

I will be going back to the last look when I have found a good layout with it
Garri

Post by Garri »

But, this is much better! Just use incorporate the colours in last design and use them for some of your H1/H2s
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hello Lee.

I didn't see the first incarnation of your site, but the current one looks fine to me. OK, pictures could probably be improved, but that's something you can do over time....

I haven't looked at it in great depth, but I do have ONE issue which is really grating to me, and which I think would be totally off-putting to any native french speaker...

Although "Cottage" is an English word, it is also used in french and it is masculine, i.e. "Un Cottage". Therefore I think the name of your place ought to be "Petit Cottage", not "Petite Cottage".
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Wow, what an improvement! Nice and easy to navigate and the photos all nicely sized too. I like the blue too. It is looking much better on Firefox, the only slight thing is that the enquiries form bit is different - there is a border missing on the right of the comments box and no tabs, and the field for name is yellow in IE and white in FF.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Normandy Cow wrote:
Although "Cottage" is an English word, it is also used in french and it is masculine, i.e. "Un Cottage". Therefore I think the name of your place ought to be "Petit Cottage", not "Petite Cottage".
Le petit cottage (to be really correct.)
Garri

Post by Garri »

Yep, it looks borked in Safari - the enquiry form isn't there and the calendar is down towards the bottom left - in the background!

I know some people are dismissive of Safari, with a "it's only used by Mac users, so who cares" sort of attitude, but from my own stats I have over 30% of visitors using OSX and a high proportion of them are using Safari - I'd say well more than half (off the top of my head)
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

La Vache wrote:Le petit cottage (to be really correct.)
Yes, of course, you're right! :oops:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks all

Understand the cottage and the petite thing, just going (for me) whats better on the eye.
Also for when (if) I do a French site it should automatically go to the translated site without the 'cottage' bit.

Will try and work on different browsers.
Last edited by Lee on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I know you are not interested, but on the accommodation page you have written 'The cottage comprises of -
one bedroom, kitchen diner with all....'
It should be 'comprises', not 'comprises of'. I hate bad English, sorry.
Lee

Post by Lee »

La Vache wrote:I know you are not interested, but on the accommodation page you have written 'The cottage comprises of -
one bedroom, kitchen diner with all....'
It should be 'comprises', not 'comprises of'. I hate bad English, sorry.
Sorted, thanks
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

La Vache wrote: I hate bad English, sorry.
And I hate bad French, sorry.

I remember in Dallas, years ago, they used to go to a club called "La Mirage" - that used to wind me up soooo much!!!!

Lee, I understand what you mean about Petite Cottage looking better on the eye, but believe me, you will be putting off a LOT of people if you keep it in, because what kind of message does that send out - you are marketing a place in France and yet you can't even get its name right.

Sorry, but that's the truth.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Point taken, my other half has just reminded me of the fact that she never liked it and has told me to take it off several times, now I have assigned it its own domain name I will remove it.
I may be underestimating my potential customers but I thought that it may have appealed, perhaps its just me!
Want cottage to stay there in some way tho.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Lee wrote: I will remove it.
Good for you. "To err is human, to admit it is divine!" (Or, to put it another way - listen to your better half! :lol: )

Lee, I sincerely wish you and your OH (BH?) well with your project! :D