French Bank Won't Give me Cash

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Yvain

French Bank Won't Give me Cash

Post by Yvain »

The start of the season is approaching and we need to pay the assorted helpers the expected cash payments. Trouble is we discovered last year that the banks in France are very reluctant to let you get your hands on your own money in paper form! I can't remember the limits but they were very small per day/week.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best and cheapest way to get lots of Euros in France or even import then from the UK?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi. I always bring loads with me that I get from the ferry port- no charges and exchange rate not too bad,they often give me a slightly higher rate-you need to ask! I've now got 2 a/cs- one bank, one-La Poste.I did have a savings account too but ditched it as the rate was soooo low. Are you with CA locally? Beware the one in St F. or St Ge..s -they transferred 13000€ of mine to a fraudster!!! They don't make the ring back phone call to check you are who you say you are!!! Your big house is looking great!!!Good luck . :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

Paying people in cash is not a good idea. I'm not sure of the full details of the law, but if you are denounced (very common in France) you will be in trouble with the law as well as the people you are paying.

It is a better idea to pay your cleaners etc with a cheque d'emploi and to get proper bills (factures) from your builders and pay them by cheque.

You can get your daily limit increased if you ask your bank manager, we did this when we were buying alot of furniture from car boot sales and antique shops, but I would not be surprised if they started to question large quantities of cash going out of your account.

Ju