What bed linen, duvets, bedspreads, etc. do guests prefer?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I haven't actually ordered anything from this wholesale hotel supplier but I'm tempted. The prices look very competitive (remember to add on 19.6% VAT of course). I haven't investigated properly: you may need to quote a Chambre de Commerce number to order....
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

thanks rab. will check it out further. usually if you can supply a vat number from any country wholesalers will be able to sell to you. though sometimes you have to convince them they are allowed to do this. :)

i can't see any button to click into english which would make the reading a bit quicker for me. but from a glance i can more or less make out what is being sold, size, quantity etc.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Try www.outofeden.co.uk if you are in the UK, they supply hotels there. You don't need a business/VAT number.
catherinedonegal

thanks la vache will check them out too.

another question on this subject:

is it better to buy egyptian cotton sheets or percale polycotton?
enid

Post by enid »

Personally I find Egyptian cotton can be a rude word to iron! (And I like ironed sheets)
catherinedonegal

i feel your pain enid. at home i have long given up on that thankless task. i now go for the shabby chic look - crumpled pillow cases and duvet covers. as long as they are snow white, i justify to myself ... :D
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Totally agree with your comment (rude or otherwise!!) about Eygptian cotton, Enid. Unfortunately, I've just bought new duvet covers and bed linen for one of our cottages and it is the aforesaid Egyptian cotton. I kick the ironing board every time! Personally, I think cotton percale is easier to iron and looks just as good .... or probably better as it's been ironed better.
pepsipuss

What bed linen

Post by pepsipuss »

I think cotton percale is absolutely fine in (relatively) temperate climates. Here in the heat of southern spain I can't sleep in anything but cotton myself so I don't expect my guests to either. Have bought a wide ironing board and it has made a HUGE difference. next step is one of those super duper irons with separate reservoir.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hi Pepsipuss .... we already have a really wide ironing board (and struggled to get a replacement cover for it :? ) and a super doopah steam iron with separate water reservoir. The iron and board are brilliant. It's still hard work ironing cotton sheets.

But fully agree with the comments about sleeping on lovely, cool cotton sheets when it's really hot.
Giddy Goat

Re: What bed linen

Post by Giddy Goat »

pepsipuss wrote:I think cotton percale is absolutely fine in (relatively) temperate climates. Here in the heat of southern spain I can't sleep in anything but cotton myself so I don't expect my guests to either. Have bought a wide ironing board and it has made a HUGE difference. next step is one of those super duper irons with separate reservoir.
Do you mean cotton percale or poly/cotton percale? I think they're two different things Peps. :)

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/magazine ... ide-5.html
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pepsipuss

What bed linen

Post by pepsipuss »

Hi GG
Quite right, I did mean poly-cotton percale. I always believed that '"cotton percale" should mean 100% but I recently saw some labelled as such and was about to buy when when I examined the label and it turned out to be poly-cotton. Don't know therefore what the correct definition should be - anybody any ideas? I know in Spain that if you ask if a garment is cotton they will tell you it is even if it is only 50% or even less in some cases! :? So the question to ask 'is it 100% cotton?'
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

esentziak

single duvets on double bed

Post by esentziak »

Hello Enid

resurecting an old thread ....

[quote="enid"]Well I am moving to single duvets on every bed - double included (we'll put two on there of course) easier washing ironing etc. We loved in when we were in Scandinavia and have two singles on our bed.

We are thinking of changing our 140x190 bed as apparently Americans think it is for single people.

Not sure if we will go for two x 80 or two by 90 (is 80 cms very small ?) but I see that you use two single duvets on a double bed, which is a great idea.

Have you had any negative comments on using two single duvets for a double bed ? what size duvets did you buy ?

How does it work in practice ? do they overlap ?

Sorry about all these questions and thanks for your help

Dominique
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Not tried the single vs double duvet route but if you are going to join 2 x 80 or 90 singles you don't have much choice: even the biggest duvet struggle to cover 2 people in a 180cm bed (just about ok for 160).

2x80cm together are fine as a nice big double but not really adequate for adults if you anticipate having to use them as singles. We have 3 lots of 2x90s in rental (and couples LOVE them in the heat!) but at home we still have one set of 2x 80 which we can't bring ourselves to get rid of because they were so expensive. They are only ever separated when we have small grandchildren staying.

enid

Post by enid »

I didn't have any negative comments - I folded them in half and put them side by side. I have gone back to double duvets this year - OH didn't think the beds looked as nice with the 2 singles and also I bought a 10Kg machine so I can wash the double ones easily.

We still have the 2 singles on our bed
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We use the huge Ikea duvets on 180 beds - 240x220. They seem big enough.