What bed linen, duvets, bedspreads, etc. do guests prefer?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We have one of those ourselves and find that with two bodies under it there is not enough left over to prevent drafts at the side!! :oops: Not necessarily a problem for us because I am always too hot, but for two people who like to be really warm I think it might present problems. Also if you like a large bed because you like your own space (in other words if you don't sleep all curled up together) then the problem is exacerbated because part of the duvet sags into the dip, taking even more away from the sides and even with 240cm you only have a foot on each side which isn't much at all. Of course all that is potentially true with a normal double duvet on a regular double bed as well: 1.35m bed with 2m duvet only gives you a bit more on each side but with a 1.35m bed there isn't the option to sleep far apart!!!. :roll: :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Our superkings are John Lewis - 260 x 220 cms; not a problem at all, even for bed hogs! The beds are 180cms wide.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
esentziak

Post by esentziak »

Thank you for your replies and I am having a re-think !

The thought of dealing with duvets for a 180 cm-wide bed is rather daunting as we live in an apartment so drying can be a problem and it's just too expensive to get them cleaned professionally in Lyon.

It does not look as if two x 80 cms is an option.

I have considered using blankets instead of duvets. I know some people don't like them because of hygiene issues but I could wash the blankets between each rental.

I have received a catalogue for hotel supplies and they have "couvertures polaires" which they say does not need much drying if you use a good spin setting.

Warmth is not an issue as the central heating is very efficient and the apartment keeps warm as the walls are so thick.

It's impossible to know if we miss bookings because we don't have the option to have twin beds in the main bedroom and because our bed is only 140 x 190.

Sorry, long post, ramblin on .....

Any more thoughts or advice welcome !

Best regards

Dominique
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We mostly use 'polaires' as we rarely need anything very warm and it gives us total flexibility to add layers as the temperatures go down: sheet for summer, sheet plus lightly quilted bedspread for intermediate and sheet plus one (or two) blankets plus bedspread for the colder weeks. They do wash easily.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

We do the same as Pepsi ........ :D
A-two

Post by A-two »

esentziak wrote: I have considered using blankets instead of duvets. I know some people don't like them because of hygiene issues but I could wash the blankets between each rental.
I don't think anybody washes the duvet between rentals, only the duvet cover, which must be easier than a blanket. I have just discovered some 100% organic cotton duvet covers that I have no intention of pressing ever, they don't seem to need it. Hurrah! Even if you can't get non-iron duvet covers, personally I would rather have a freshly laundered but slightly wrinkled duvet cover than an unwashed blanket, but that's just me. The problem with blankets is that although you know they're freshly washed, I think a lot of people assume they aren't.

p.s are the "polaires" fleece blankets?
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

A-two wrote:
esentziak wrote: I have considered using blankets instead of duvets. I know some people don't like them because of hygiene issues but I could wash the blankets between each rental.
The problem with blankets is that although you know they're freshly washed before the guest arrives, I believe most guests think they aren't, and I don't quite know how you could ever overcome that first impression.
Sniff test??

We have good old-fashioned sheets and blankets, plus a quilted bedspread for aesthetic reasons. Not had a single complaint yet. There are enough blankets (bought in the sales) to rotate - "one to wear, and one in the wash" - or 2..... as it were :) They are good quality fleece blankets and dry very quickly.

Most people bring their own sheets (95% of my guests being French/Belgian/Dutch and not having the same issues with luggage as self-drivers, and wanting to save a few euros !) They do a really good, thorough end of stay clean too! Splendid!

Fi
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

In my experience most hotels seem to still use blankets and I am quite sure that even in the best/most expensive they would not even contemplate washing them between guests. Mine don't get used that much and they get washed when I think they have been used enough (subjective judgement) or earlier if there is a stain (objective fact). I don't see why they should need it any more often than duvets. The sheet protects the blanket from the body beneath in the same way as the cover protects the duvet. I know people who use a sheet as well as a duvet cover and don't necessarily change the cover each time, especially after a short stay, which in my view is fine as long at it has a good airing and seems fresh. If you want to be eco-friendly it is hard to justify all the water and the electricity to do more than is necessary for aesthetics and hygiene.

Yes, A-two, they are fleece blankets.

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I haven't been in a hotel with blankets for ages now. All have had duvets.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Not washing the top covers reminded me about a tip I read once about staying in hotels / rented property.....never come out of the shower and sit straight on the bed with no clothes on, because that's what everybody else does! Bet you've all done it! :wink: And I bet loads of people do it before having their shower!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

The Stig wrote:Not washing the top covers reminded me about a tip I read once about staying in hotels / rented property.....never come out of the shower and sit straight on the bed with no clothes on, because that's what everybody else does! Bet you've all done it! :wink: And I bet loads of people do it before having their shower!
Very interesting observation, Stig.
And you can be quite certain that all the world's posh hotels, where they have seriously expensive and often very heavy bedspreads, do not launder them between guests: have you ever seen a bedspread being removed from a room as you walk down corridors and the maids are changing the rooms? :?

The Stig

Post by The Stig »

have you ever seen a bedspread being removed from a room as you walk down corridors and the maids are changing the rooms? :?[/quote]

Absolutely NEVER!
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Well I don't sit on my own duvet cover naked so I certainly wouldn't sit on anyone else's.

Can't answer for my OH though. :roll:
esentziak

what we ended up doing

Post by esentziak »

Nearly there .....

I had my husband try an 80 cm bed in Ikea (he's 6'4) and decided other LMH members were right: 80 cm is just too small.

And two 90 cms beds would definitely be too big for the room, it would not look right.

So we moved our own 160 x 200 bed to the apartment we rent and we brought over the 140 x 190 bed to our own apartment as a temporary solution and we are sleeping quite happily in that bed. We'll certainly be snug and cosy in the winter !

I have to buy extra duvet covers for the 160 bed (the duvet covers we had been using for our own bed were "second best" and I am still considering blankets.

We went to a B and B this week where there were blankets on the bed and the first thing my husband did is, pull down the bedspread (he was fully clothed) and lie down on top of the blanket !

Dominique
sarahp

duvets/blankets/sheets...

Post by sarahp »

We've just come back from a lovely weekend in Avignon and stayed in a rather super duper hotel!
We had the most enormouse bed which had a bottom sheet, another sheet, duvet with no cover and then a top sheet.
Is this normal for France? The sheets were changed every day which was lovely but I pity the person who has to launder them all.
This got me thinking about whether I can buy a duvet which is patterned so I can have a base sheet, then another and then the duvet? I have a 10kg washing machine so can wash them regularly if they arent too bulky. My thought being NO duvets covers to struggle to put on, NO ironing duvet covers, and NO poppers or buttons to do up :lol:
Anyone know what I am on about?!