enquirer wants address, directions without even booking...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Foxandsot

enquirer wants address, directions without even booking...

Post by Foxandsot »

....am I too suspicious!! My mind is going into serious overdrive as we have just had a key go missing in the post, the keyring states the name of our house and nothing else. A check on google for our house name brings up ours and another in St Barts! Should I tell the enquirer that we only give out directions on payment of full balance?? Help!!

This is the enquiry I received...

I am currently in Cyprus and am interested in possibly hiring your Villa Feb / Mar 08. Can you please email me the address and directions to the property to have a proper look around and maybe take a look inside before my family come out? Lastly can you tell me if you are the owners of the property or representing someone?

Yours Sincerely

--------------------------

Thanks

Mxx
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

well I wouldn't!! I don't give out the address and directions until someone books AND pays the balance :|
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I would tell he/she that you have a long let in who specifically said they did not want to be disturbed during there stay, So sorry a visit would not be possible.
Cheers
PC
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Foxandsot,

What a cheek!

I think you've got more than enough info and photos on your website to give them an idea of what they'd be renting without them going to have a look beforehand. I should imagine they might even be able to find the villa if they drove around the area, you've got plenty of photos of it from various angles.

I always say the directions will be sent on full payment of the balance.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

This could be totally innocent, we have had it when a guest came from Paris and they had some friends living just around the corner who wanted a peek................that said watch your behind and say no nicely.........as we all know you would!!
Cheers
PC
J&J

Post by J&J »

It's a tricky one. I can understand why anyone booking would want the address before they part with the money. I can also understand that if this person is already in the area he would like to drive past and look from the outside before booking. So, what he's asking isn't unreasonable but he should be prepared to expect you taking some sensible precautions too.

First of all, you could ask him for his name, address, telephone number etc. which you could then check out. You could also suggest that you give him the name of a bar in the nearest town where you could meet him and take him out personally to see your property - if you don't live there then perhaps you could ask your agent to meet him. If it results in a good booking at a quiet time of year then it would be worthwhile.
Chianti

Re: enquirer wants address, directions without even booking.

Post by Chianti »

I am currently in Cyprus and am interested in possibly hiring your Villa Feb / Mar 08. Can you please email me the address and directions to the property to have a proper look around and maybe take a look inside before my family come out? Lastly can you tell me if you are the owners of the property or representing someone?

Foxandsot

I certainly would be careful. I just doesn't sound right to me. The I'm interested in possibly hiring and more importantly, tell me if you are the owners. What difference does it make if you are or aren't?

Your photos portray your property very clearly, so if this were genuine they would be asking detailed questions about facilities not whether you live on-site.

I would respond with a carefully worded email which might put them off if they aren't genuine, perhaps stating that you live on-site. I also agree about getting their details and certainly checking them out.

Good luck, I have real sympathy with your dilemma.

Chianti
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I've just responded saying we need full balance and completed booking form before we give out detailed directions etc.

For some reason this enquiry feels wrong, gut instinct or just me being completely paranoid!! Anyway best to be safe rather than sorry. Lets see if he replys!

Thanks for your comments...

Mxx
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, the question about 'on site' is a little worrying coupled with the question regarding whether you're the owners. The fact that a key has also gone astray would make anyone feel more than usually nervous in this situation. Reckon you did the right thing Foxie. Let us know if he books!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I know it must be a worry if you're not on site...but I have actually had this 3 times; once in my 1st year the 1st enquirer I had wanted his mother to call round to look at the villa (she lives on the island), then last year I had someone who's husband was working on the island for 5 days and wanted to check out the villa but in the end he didn't turn up or book. Finally someone booked & paid deposit and then said she was on a short break before her main holiday and could she call round to view it. I had guests in it but arranged to meet her at a local cafe and show her the outside...but in the end she couldn't drag herself off the beach :D

I would have gone for J&J's suggestion mingled with Pauls. Telling them there's a long let in the house but arranging for an agent to show them the outside after taking details of his full name and address of where he currently was staying etc.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Sorry.........just an after thought.........if he/she is in the area and this is a deal breaker you could ask for a reference from she/he's present landlord, if you do this do follow up on the reference.
Cheers
PC
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Just got this reply:

Thank you for your reply but i am not willing to spend so much money without looking at the surrounding area of the villa as a lot of them have building sites around them, as i am in the country working for the UN i have the opportunity to view before i pay or my family arrive. thanks for your help again!

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm a tad confused by this guy as I have no idea the duration of his stay or even what month, therefore no idea what spending so much money would be!!!

Mx
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

If you hadn't just lost a set of keys I think it may be worth pursuing... might it be an idea to change the locks anyway?

As it stands I still wouldn't touch it
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!