stayrentals.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Paul Carmel

stayrentals.com

Post by Paul Carmel »

A lot of scams are coming my way from this lot. ( 3 today 5 yesterday ).......look out!
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

Were they "scams" or "spams"?

If they were the former then we should all keep a close eye out for them. After all, scammers are basically fraudsters.

If they were the latter they are just the inconveniences of unsolicited mail which we all have to put up with.

Alan
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Alan,

Scam's with big S The over payment one's.....they send to much ( infact nothing ) and they give you hell to send the balance to them, You can have fun with them, I have one poor soul who is sending me 50,000 pounds for a one week rental. Te He
Cheers
PC
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

That overpayment scam was featured on Watchdog (a BBC consumer programme) the other day. 2 people were caught out and they had to send the money to Nigeria (!), one was selling a wedding dress the other a car. I guess we're just so aware here but it is an illustration that people are still taken in by these frausters.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

I watched that programme too!

The people didn't have to send the money. They were too gullible and were caught out by the most basic scam.

Surely the banks should be doing a lot more to protect the interests of their customers rather than trying to sell products like insurance and credit (should they not more properly be called get even deeper into debt?) cards.

Paul,

Are these telephone or e-mail scams?

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

exactly Alan....I got fed up watching the programme - I thought it was in actual fact featuring some rather daft gullible people!....I think we've been approached once...from a free site interestingly enough, we don't appear to have scammers coming through from holiday-rentals.com - would that make sense at all?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

As someone who watched the programme right through I wonder about something. Who is the bigger moron? Me for watching it or the people who feature on it?

Despite having the full Sky package I often struggle to find any programmes I would like to watch. It is riddled with ancient repeats of lousy programmes, celeb's (non-entities) I've never heard of, idols (idles) who are quite useless, on-line gambling, programmes described as extreme this or live that when they are neither, etc. The adverts are no better - switch your mortgage, claim damages for an injury, consolidate your loans.

Does this illustrate how far down the tubes TV has gone, is it a reflection of modern British society or is it just me getting older by the day? My wife, who worked in TV production for over 20 years, tells me it is a mixture of all three.

Alan
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

Thats funny to hear about British TV because it seams that alot of the US TV shows come from over there :lol: They become big hits over here. Of course once one show works every other network copies it and we end up with 4 of them. Reality TV is huge over here but I am not a big fan. Reality is getting up every morning and going to work not living on a "deserted" island or trying to get a job from Trump.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

re Watchdog - I know, I generally can't bear to watch it as it is usually a load of whinging so and so's.

Re gullible. I once did that trick to a thick colleague: "Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary" and she looked it up to prove me wrong. :lol:

Re TV, when I first got Sky I was thrilled then after 3 month I realised I'd seen everything. I hate reality shows with all of my being!! Forensic Files/Forensic Detectives rule okay for me!

(Sorry we're all going way off topic here!!)
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Talking about Sky does anyone watch Nip/Tuck a darkish obversation on a self obsessed society. Also very gruesome and enough to put anyone of cosmetic surgery I would think. Do people like that really exist?
Always Learning
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Alan,

E-mail scam not phone. gullible hummm no more like greedy.
Cheers
PC
enid

Post by enid »

Re the Sky fedback - that really cheers me up as we decided not to have Sky and just have French TV despite me really loving TV in the winter. Can't say I miss much and we catch some good programmes on channel 5 arte. We also have DVD and watch a lot of films. When I go back tothe Uk and stay with my daughter I wallow in Sky channel flicking but like the Chinese take aways I've soon had enough again.
tansy

Post by tansy »

PC - spot on...greedy

Alan - we have in our household a case of a grumpy old man and now I also recognise there's a grumpy old woman also creeping in!!

Newspapers, magazines and TV programmes all have a case of 20 + year olds running them - the consequence? the programmes that are being run...and papers now more like comics...

Another month or so and TV will have no place in our lives...invasion time starts (last year we had 3 months of visitors,in our home that is) ...handy for the winter - then we can watch all the re runs for the 1st time!

:evil:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

One to more add to the pile! they look like this if you getting them, As I said they are coming from stayrentals.com

GoodDay,
My name is Jeff Moore from Italy, I have 2 client from Holland that need your apartment. so let me know if your apartment will be available for the month of 1 June,July or August 2005 for the 3-4 weeks, mail me the total price, also with the picture or Site to Viwe the apartment..
Jeff Moore..
009-393401478014
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

So, he is in Italy and his clients are in Holland. His Bank account isn't in Nigeria by any chance, is it?

Do you have Website to view? Do you have published prices? Do you have published availability? I suspect the answer to all three is YES.

Maybe he is a researcher or a PA for the Watchdog programme.

Alan