First stab at a website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Bob

First stab at a website

Post by Bob »

I've started to put together a website for our small apartment in Brighton and wanted to get some initial thoughts and advice from the experts on LMH.

I've used OfficeLive as it's quick and free, although I will be looking to develop something fancier using Dreamweaver when I have a little more time.

I'm struggling with the SEO stuff and have added meta tags without really understanding what I'm doing.
I have submitted my site to Google, Lycos, etc., but there are indications that this could take months to take effect.

As we haven't exchanged contracts yet I can't really advertise on any websites just yet but wanted to put our own website out there to hopefully manage some enquiries.

Also, I can't seem to get the link to the renters.org calendar to work - any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

www.brightonpad.co.uk

I know this is pretty useless, but I suppose it is still work in progress - Any pointers gratefully accepted.
enid

Post by enid »

Quick first thoughts

Very clean and easy to read (often a problem for me) I would like an interior shot of the apartment on the home page and whilst I like the colour scheme at the top I think having another colour scheme on the menu bar is a bit too much.

The apartment looks lovely but would perhaps be more attractive with a bit more dressing - some colour - something on the kitchen worktops - towels in the bathroom that kind of thing.

I do think that it's there in essence and just needs some tweaking. Well done you!
:)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Enid.

Agree about the photo's.

As we haven't got the keys yet I have lifted the estate agents photographs of the property from the web, these will be updated as soon as we get in.

With OfficeLive you have a limited selection of templates to choose from and the colours are part of this - I did try to fiddle around and find something better, but will give it another go.
enid

Post by enid »

Well in that case the colour is not such a big deal - I just liked the turquoise on the browny grey. Exciting isn't it? :) :) :)
e-richard

Re: First stab at a website

Post by e-richard »

Bob wrote:I know this is pretty useless, but I suppose it is still work in progress - Any pointers gratefully accepted.
Hey Bob. Its not useless and my best pointer is "keep going the way you are going" - it feels about the right content/shape/color and good progress.

Couple of issues:

1. How many people can it sleep ? This shoudl be on the front page, and I couldn't even find it deeper down, and no mention anywhere of "bedrooms". Does it have any ? :wink:

2. My old hobby horse about images: Do not let the browser resize your pictures. You've uploaded them in a bigger size, but let the browser reduce them. Better to reduce in something like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro (free) or even some of the on-line tools available for photo resizing. Search here on LMH - folks have made numerous suggestions.

3. On the subject of photos, the very briught white pictures on the apartment page get a bit lost. Try putting a thin border (preferably grey, not black) if you can and see if you like that.

Good luck.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Ju

Post by Ju »

I like the look of the site - well done.

Just two comments for now:

1) Please use capital letters! I don't mind so much in the title, but when the first line starts without a capital letter you loose me. I was taught that ALL sentences start with a capital letter.

2) The appartment page reads a bit like an estate agents speil rather than a holiday home advert.

rather than
Dual aspect room with south facing window with sea views, further west facing window giving an airy and light feel.

Bespoke wall bed from the Wallbed Workshop transforms the room from relaxing living room to cosy bedroom in seconds. Central heating to keep you nice and warm should you need it.
How about:

The sudio is light and airy with both west and south facing windows and a sea view. There is comfortable seating for x people and a small table for those romantic dinners.

A bespoke wall bed (from the Wallbed Workshop) transforms the room from relaxing living room to cosy bedroom in seconds - much more comfortable than the usual sofa beds.

The flat has central heating enabling you to enjoy the delights of Brighton whatever the season.

I am no expert at writing, so I am sure you can improve on this - it was just to give you an idea of the difference.

Ju
Bob

Post by Bob »

This is all good - keep it coming.

The apartment is actually a studio, so technically I guess it doesn't actually have a bedroom - but I should still put the number of guests it will accommodate on the front page, and I will amend this.

I'll try to re-work the images in paintshop.

Grey border is a good idea - again I'll try this in paintshop.

Ju - you're absolutely correct, most of this is from the estate agents details!

I like your re-wording of the text - can you do the rest and I'll c&p it in :wink: , but seriously I do need to change this.

The capitals - I was trying to be trendy, perhaps not a great idea...

Thanks once again - really appreciated.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

you have this as the link to your availibility

http://http//www.rentors.org/calendar.a ... yid=260164

and it should be

http://www.rentors.org/calendar.aspx?propertyid=260164

hope this helps :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Hi Bob

I like it!

Do you need the search at the top?

You calander isn't working as I think you have http in twice. maybe also open it up in a new window so people don't come off your site?
Bob

Post by Bob »

tree-peony and roxytoo - thanks, I hadn't picked up on the fact that I didn't need the http:// in the link.

It's working now - cool.

This is very rewarding isn't it?
Bob

Post by Bob »

roxytoo - I can't get rid of the Search text unless I upgrade to a Premium account which costs money...

Not that I'm tight but I want to see what I can do without having to pay out too much.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

:lol:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

What a great start! I'm impressed by your forward planning - getting the web site started before you even have the keys!

You'll need to get some photos of the interior that explain visually what a studio is - many people won't realise they have to put the bed away each morning. It might help to change the subtitle to 'Living room / bedroom'.

My best advice is get more info on Brighton and expand the 'about Brighton' section to lots more pages. You can do this before you get the keys and it will help you get better rankings in the search engines.

Check out your page titles - try getting good search terms in every one, for example instead of 'Rates' how about 'Holiday letting rates for our Brighton apartment'. BTW, I mean the titles that appear in the browser title bar rather than the one that is visible on the page itself. Although it helps to work some key words in there too.

Also, make sure you submit your site to Yahoo and MSN - it can take 6 months or more to appear high up in Google, but in the meantime you'll get enquiries coming through the others.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

Bob can you not remove the MS open office logo and the web search. It brings what is a well laid out site down a half a notch!
Some suggestions; Have the availability page open in another browser window. We know there is a small java script to return you to the last page at the bottom of the calendar, but it is not so prominent.
Looking at the source it could be tided up a bit. Also there are no alternative texts for the photos. Search engines look for these and sometimes the partially sighted use programmes to read the text to know what the photo is of.
What about giving some details on parking or public transport?

PS if the property studio then maybe write that in the title “Boutique Holiday Studio Apartment�.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
eldrep

Post by eldrep »

Hi Bob

Well done! I think you've done a fab job, the design of the website really reflects the 'boutique' style of your studio and the photos are great.

Just a couple of things (my day job is editor of a puzzle mag so you'll have to excuse me being v. picky about spelling, grammar etc!!).

You've missed a 't' out of studio under 'living room'. I think some of the descriptions are a bit 'wordy' i.e 'The original south facing frosted arched sash window'. I'm not sure how bothered people will be about a frosted bathroom window being south facing....And I think the picture speaks for itself to a certain extent.

You don't make any mention of if there is a lift up to the apartment so I take it there isn't - you may want to point out that it isn't suitable for wheelchair users or those with difficulty getting up stairs in that case?

Perhaps some links to book train tickets etc and give directions from the station?

I think it would be a good idea to emphasise how great the studio would be for a romantic weekend away - perhaps by telling people a bit more about all the fab jewellery shops (I went for a weekend with my husband in August and remembered thinking it would be the perfect place to propose! Even informed by best friend's boyfriend.... :lol: )

Perhaps you could even offer a 'romance package' with bottles of champagne provided, flowers etc - getting carried away now - but it would be a fantastic 'USP'...

Cheers
Sonia