Wouldn't it be nice ...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Giddy Goat

Wouldn't it be nice ...

Post by Giddy Goat »

... if just once in a while, when you tried to help an enquirer you've had to disappoint, you occasionally got a brief email of thanks!

Sometimes I give them the addresses of other good listing sites, in case they haven't found them, or even the website address of another nice property which might interest them.

I also ask if they would like me to contact them when we begin to get enquiries in for the year following.

What proportion of replies do you receive when you do something similar? Or don't you bother? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I once had an enquiry from the US which involved the potential guest zig-zagging across between France and Germany for the whole of her fairly short holiday. She admitted to being a bit confused so I reorganised her route so that she did not go back over any roads, worked out driving times, suggested the best overnight stops and even recommended some hotels. Fortunately, I had a couple of hours spare and thoroughly enjoyed doing it. But, no, I didn't hear a word from her afterwards. I guess you have to decide whether or not you want to be helpful and not expect thanks for it. Totally agree that it would be nice to be thanked occasionally. But then I didn't even get thanked by local people for passing on an enquiry to them which became a booking - in fact, I had to ask to find out that the people had booked!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ooh Margaret, I'd have been spitting chips over that US one, even though you enjoyed the exercise!

And did your neighbours actually thank you for your referral when put on the spot? Am I a grumpy old goat or has common courtesy become a thing of the past? Our nephews (in their twenties) don't even thank us for the Christmas presents we send (usually chosen with care, with their tastes and interests in mind) these days. They did when they were small - that was when we all met on Christmas Day though, and their parents were watching!!

If this creeps, it's fine by me!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I'd say it was a 'sort of' thank you. Given how short of bookings they are, you'd think they'd be a bit more effusive in the hope of getting some more referrals. Those people were, in a sense, 'our' guests!

Agree with you about manners - one of the joys about living in rural Germany - the neighbours' children always greet us when we walk past or see them in the village. And, of course, everyone shakes hands - we are guilty of forgetting sometimes but people here are very tolerant of our casual foreign ways!
Stu

Post by Stu »

GG, I believe with every fibre that manners maketh the man. Yes, I'm constantly amazed at the lack of response we get when having taken the time & trouble to point folks in the right direction, often for little or no thanks whatsoever. That's what makes it all the more special reading the glowing reviews, or kind comments from people we've had stay with us. I'm sure it'll keep us warm in our old age!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Stu wrote:That's what makes it all the more special reading the glowing reviews, or kind comments from people we've had stay with us. I'm sure it'll keep us warm in our old age!
Too true, Stu! Accentuate the positive, that's what I should be doing!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Gosh you've all touched a nerve with this grumpy old pussy-cat!

I hardly ever get any thanks for birthday/Christmas presents from any of my grandchildren. Occasionally I get an e-mail, purporting to be from all of them, but I know damn well it's from my DIL.

Similarly, Martyn's family mostly just grab the money and run, although recently 2 of the younger ones have started to write little thank-you letters.

Re referrals - I have passed people on to my agent who also has a number of properties that his companies rents out for other owners, and I've also referred on to Holiday Pad and YHM, but no-one has contacted me to say 'thanks for telling us about that, we booked............' I've even e-mailed people and said 'I hope you got sorted out now' and they've said thanks for asking but no reference to any of my suggestions.

Yes, manners are important, not because they're a convention, but because they show appreciation of others as people with feelings.
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'd say I get a thank-you about half the time when I go out of my way to help someone who isn't booking with us.

In terms of referrals, I find that I nearly always get a thank-you when I cc the person I'm referring the client to on the e-mail reply; when I don't do that, I don't get a thank-you (maybe because the client doesn't mention where they heard of the other property).

It is really nice to hear a thank-you, but it is also really nice to help, whether I explicitly receive gratitude or not.
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

vrooje wrote:It is really nice to hear a thank-you, but it is also really nice to help, whether I explicitly receive gratitude or not.
Put it this way, I don't wish I hadn't helped when the thank you doesn't arrive, but I still feel disappointed - if someone goes out of their way to help me, I go out of my way to thank them.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Maybe part of the thing is when people are trying to book and it is proving difficult they tend to blitz properties and forget who was helpful? I've had phone calls thinking I'm another property which told them to ring back. Also, people ringing twice as they've forgotten to cross me off their booked list.

I'm happy to help as long as folk are polite and sound grateful!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmm, yes, well I'm sure people are like that Sue, it's just that if they were a little better organised.... we were at a family christening recently - got the thank you OK, but it was simply a standard 'thank you for your generous gift' one - albeit hand written. No reference to what it was .... I think people should really make the effort to record each pressie as they open it and whom it was from. Most guests agonise a bit over what to buy and even go to a degree of trouble nowadays to give something a bit different.

Need my first glass of wine for the evening I think, so take no notice! :wink:
Stu

Post by Stu »

With you completely GG! I'm used to helping people in various ways, whether through Forums, via. e-mails or on the telephone. We're constantly giving help personally here on site and all we ask is that it's recognised, not for our own personal gratification, but because it's just the thing to do. If someone helps me, I tell them how grateful I am. It's called manners. I fully appreciate that people get stressed and confused when arranging holidays, but there's simply no excuse for some of the stuff we have to endure, both personally and collectively is there?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've sent out numerous recommendations if we are booked and can count the number of 'thankyou's on one hand. The people whose accommodation I have recommended do thank me though, obviously it is their business and more important to them. It is a little disappointing, especially when you have gone out of your way to return a phone call to the UK, and end up spending quite a few minutes and centimes on giving them alternatives because you are booked.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

La Vache wrote: especially when you have gone out of your way to return a phone call to the UK, and end up spending quite a few minutes and centimes on giving them alternatives because you are booked.
Oh good - it's not just me feeling grumpy then!

Anyone else out there want to have a whinge? Now's your chance! :D
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Stu

I'm so much in agreement with you !!!!! Life isn't that busy that one can't say thank you for a kindness of what ever sort. It's actually frightning to see such loss of standards and good manners.

When I used to use public transport in London and people coughed without covering their mouths, I would turn my head or cover my mouth, which often embarassed them and they would sometimes then cover it the next time they coughed.

I hope it's not too late to spread the message to the younger generation.

Chianti