Wouldn't it be nice ...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Agree with the principle that it would be nice if people would email back to let you know they've received your email. But in practice I suspect our inboxes would be overloaded :shock: . I've got enough on replying to the emails we get, without adding another load of "thank you for letting me you're not going to book" replies!

I'm quite happy if one in ten becomes a booking and that the others go away feeling I've been helpful ... and who knows they may come back another time or tell someone else. It has happened.

Not sure there's any business benefit from sending an email a la Ballamboy .... even if it does make you feel good. We're in the business where we just have to grin and bear it.
enid

Post by enid »

I agree - I always send the 'Thanks for lettingme know have agreatholiday message' - leaves a good taste for both parties I think and only takes a mo.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'm not so sure that I agree (with myself even).... picture this:

guestemail: Do you have vacancy
owneremail: yes and the price is...
guestemail: Thanks, but we have found elsewhere
owneremail: Thanks for letting me know, and have a great holiday
guestemail: Thanks for your good wishes.
owneremail: You're welcome

Ok, it all cost precious little time, but surely there's more to life than email :)

Come to think of it, there's more to life than debating whether to send an email :oops: :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

e-richard wrote:
guestemail: Do you have vacancy
owneremail: yes and the price is...
guestemail: Thanks, but we have found elsewhere
owneremail: Thanks for letting me know, and have a great holiday
guestemail: Thanks for your good wishes.
owneremail: You're welcome

:D
Just for the record I would stop after my 2nd reply i.e 'Thanks for your good wishes' would not be replied to.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
enid

Post by enid »

I agree :) - whoops Saturday night and I'm still talking about sending e mails - I'm off to a birthday party!!!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hope you enjoy the birthday party, Enid. Saturday night and I'm still looking at emails :lol: .

I've had almost the reverse of this situation happen when I was chased up (nay, almost reprimanded) by one listing site for not replying to an email which had come from their website. Was virtually told that if I did it again, I would be excommunicated.

In fact, I had replied - and could prove it - so not sure what happened there. Wasn't sure whether to be impressed that the holiday company knew (or thought they knew!) that an email hadn't been answered or to be miffed that I'd been told off :roll: . Couldn't do the booking anyway 'cos we were already booked :wink: .
ballamboy

Post by ballamboy »

Looks like I'm in a majority of one here!

I perhaps should have added that it's not my normal practice to be so direct. Sometimes I send a 'thanks for your enquiry, is there any more information that I can help you with' type of reply if if I feel that there was a good chance of converting an enquiry into a booking. Our guests often leave very favourable feedback, so I guess I have got that part of it right. I think I'm generally strong on customer service, but quite frankly it doesn't bother me if I lose the odd booking from people who simply can't be bothered to send a one line reply when they've expected me to respond in detail to their request.

I still think that if potential visitors have asked particular questions which have required more than just a standard reply then they should have the courtesy to reply. This enquiry took a fair bit of my time, and I even searched out some photos of the villa to clarify issues like steps, sea view etc. Judging people by my own standards I know...but is that a bad thing?

As it happens I have had a reply from the lady involved and yes, it did say that she hadn't made her mind up but would be booking elsewhere. No surprises there, as I had mentally crossed off the booking before I pressed the 'send' button (and I always count to 10!)

And yes, despite her reply the whole process did make me feel better.

p.s. in case you are wondering I sent a brief reply thanking her for replying and not binning my email, and saying that I hoped she'd find something suitable.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, it is just so rude - I wouldn't behave in that way so it's hard to accept that others do, but on balance it's healthier in life to "act, not react". I don't write the email, I just think it.

That's not to say I don't brood though, or that I always bite my tongue! But certainly as far as booking enquiries go, I guess over time you have to just say to yourself "I've wasted enough effort on this person already, why waste more?"
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Don't be too hard on yourself Ballamboy, we're all human and if it made you feel better, then hey...well done, I'm sure you don't intend on making a habit of it :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
hilly

Re: Am I being churlish?

Post by hilly »

ballamboy wrote: I had an enquiry a week ago from a woman who wanted to know price/availability, would it be suitable for her 85 year old father, were there sea views etc etc. I spent about 20 mins putting together a 4 or 5 paragraph reply....
I'm in Gumuskaya and I think I had this lady too but she let me know out a week later.

I don't chase for at least a week unless another booking enquiry comes through for the same date - that sometimes concentrates their minds :wink:
www.greatvillasinturkey.co.uk

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I tend not to chase at all, I figure I've done all I can in my first or second (or sometimes third, if there has been a series of emails with questions) reply, and after that I mentally move on unless another enquiry comes in for the same date.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I agree - it can be frustrating, especially with the ones where you've put in a lot of effort. And I do think it's a reflection of manners. I always thank owners I approach and let them know we'll get back to them if it's suitable.

However the ones that really get my goat (sorry GG) are the ones that sound so committed i.e. we want to book your wonderful villa......so, slightly astounded I send all the info to them ask them to let me know when they've made the deposit transfer and advise that if they want further info to just ask.
Then nada :shock:

How does that happen?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Slightly OT :oops:

Do you ever get those one who want to know if the price is per person or per house :roll:?? ...........
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Bizarrely, I think some people think that it is good manners to rave about your place (I love a pound for every enquiry I have had that uses the phrase 'your lovely home'). I know from experience not to take such enquiries any more (or less) seriously than usual.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

True Margaret...but then I'm talking about the ones who say they want to book and please send me your bank details :shock:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!