newbie member making attempts at website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
net net

newbie member making attempts at website

Post by net net »

Hi to everyone, I am new to the forum ( tried to look for a place for newbies to introduce themselves )
I have just made an attempt at putting a website together for my own place and a friends thats in the same village.
Would be grateful for your comments.

Thanks in advance.

Net Net :D

Helps if I put website address in :oops:

www.alvorge.net
http://www.alvorge.net

Ontem é história,
Amanhã é um mistério,
Hoje é um dom,
Uma vez que é chamado de presentes
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

hi net net :)

I can't actually get your site to load as the pictures are massive! Could you try resizing them with a photoeditor before you upload them rather than using the webpage to do the job?

will have another look when I can get a proper idea of your site :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Same problem - thought it might be the hotel "broadband" I'm using but maybe you do need to resize those pics.

Not mad keen on that yellow either but that may be just me

J
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm not an expert, but when I look at the code, there is nothing SEO friendly about the source code at all, key words, description etc., but maybe that isn't the point of the site. I'm not a big fan of the yellow background and black text either I'm afraid, and there was no title or alt text for the photos to show what they are...sorry!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Net Net

I'm at 2 minds about the yellow background, it is a welcoming colour but perhaps needs to be broken up with a accent colour. I found your written material very confusing.

May I suggest that you list each of the properties separately with photos.

You have a category Property, that's usually where the details and photos of ones own property go. Perhaps Property sales is a better title.

What is gallery? Do remember that viewers have only seconds to decide if they are interested, so one needs to make the title page draw them into clicking on the photos and viewing more. They will not spend time trying to find information, you need to make sure it is all there in easy to find and clear terms. If not, you risk losing their attention and they will go elsewhere.

It might be a good idea to have a separate section for prices and details of what is included in the price.

There is no glowing script to go with your lovely property, which is much needed.

I'm sure with a bit more work you will have a beautiful website to match your lovely properties.

Chianti
paolo

Post by paolo »

tried to look for a place for newbies to introduce themselves
It's here if you want it:
viewtopic.php?t=57
Paolo
Lay My Hat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

others have commented on the aesthetics.

I'd agree that the photos are large (in kbs). They have been reduced in size (cms) but not resolution. It is quite easy to use clickable thumbnails to have the best of both worlds. Irfanview is a free photo editing program.

There is some work to be done if you wish to be well rated by the search engines.

You need meta tags (search on google for examples).

The photos do not have an alt tag.

You need to massage the text to emphasise your customers keywords.

Consistency seems to be the best way of emphasising the most important key words. There are some good notes about it here :
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/sho ... php?t=2086

If you can become highly rated by the search engines - it is the cheapest advertising you will find ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
net net

Thanks

Post by net net »

Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming and I will keep trying to improve the site.

Regards

Jeanette
http://www.alvorge.net

Ontem é história,
Amanhã é um mistério,
Hoje é um dom,
Uma vez que é chamado de presentes
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi Jeanette

Can I ask how you made the website...some kind of software package? Handtyped in notepad? Just the coding is a bit, well, unconventional, and as mentioned above its going to cause quite a few problems for search engines...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi Jeannette,

Welcome to LMH!

A couple of comments on the site:
on your homepage I'm seeing what looks like overlapping photos. Behind the photo of the village square I can see the edges of another photo / picture of greenery. Not sure what it is but it looks odd.

Your text on most pages but esp the home page is not flush left on my browser - each para starts at a different vertical and it looks untidy.

Re your rates: it says 20 & 30 euros a night - is that per cottage or per person? Most places give rates per property so if you mean per person you should make that clear.

I agree that you need alt tags on your photos - or at least a caption underneath.

The photos came up easily on my browser so perhaps you've already adjusted that following earlier comments.

Best of luck with the site and the cottage rentals.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

I am with Marcus on this one. I would love to know if you hand-coded the site or used a design package, because the code seems very strange indeed.

I think perhaps you should stick to 2 or 3 clearly-defined columns, especially on the holiday cottages page where it all becomes a bit of a muddle and things start to overlap.

I would also avoid underlining your headings as I keep trying to click on them.

And lastly, it should be 'accommodation' on the home page.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi Jeanette

You have some lovely photos that should be given featured more, with at least one of the great exterior shots on the front page. At the moment there is little on that page that would grab a potential client to come on in and find out more.

My particular bugbear is toilet photos - particularly those with the lids up, but that is just me. I don't see what they add to a web site.

Your properties look great; it's the showcase that needs more work.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Glenos

Post by Glenos »

:shock: With respect.. Please get that toilet seat lid down :shock:
cuica

Post by cuica »

I would recommend writing lots of text about the area - things to do etc.

This will not only add content and get you ranked better with the search engines, but will also give prospective renters a reason to stay with you...

Most holidaymakers need a 'hook' - a reason to visit one place over another.

It takes time but I find it works!