Lurker plucks up courage to post

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Vera

Lurker plucks up courage to post

Post by Vera »

Hi
I've been dipping in and out of this forum for a while and find it very informative. I would welcome some comments on my site and hope to become an active forum member.

www.fincaarboleda.com
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I think your site is unusually clear and easy to navigate. It is clear you are aiming at the budget market and I like that clarity. The one piece of information which matters a lot to me and I could not find (on a quick look anyway): how far are the nearest restaurants and shops and are any within walking distance? I like to find that information on the Home Page and I don't think you will over clutter it by adding another sentence or paragraph.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Aloe Vera! Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome to LMH. That's a very fine looking property you have there, and a good website too. Well done! Hope you find enough here to keep you coming back, and more importantly, sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Vera :) .
Very warm welcome to the Forum, Im sure youll find it very useful, I know I have.
Its always nice to have new people join.
Your Website, and your House and Apartment look really nice well done!!.
On your first page, I would say how many each sleep, as I think its one of the first things people need to know.
Take Care, and good luck with your bookings.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Thanks to everyone who looked at the site, not that many comments but I've made a couple of changes based on what was posted. The aim of the site was to supplement the listings on OD etc. and to keep it very clear and easy to navigate, I worry that it's a bit dull but you're too polite to tell me!
I also worry about OD very quite since the takeover after 3 brilliant years with them but i guess that's another post.
I'll be back!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I worry that it's a bit dull
Something that does its job as smoothly and efficiently as your site could never be described as dull. Dull is for gimmicky sites that take forever to download, links that don't work, pictures that don't go bigger and navigation that needs Hal from 2001 to figure out. Your site seems as clearly focussed as our dogs when I rattle their supper bowls.

Your photos are a little slow to download but open up to informative full-screen images, so it's worth the wait. Otherwise, job done I think.

Jim
enid

Post by enid »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Am a bit under the weatherso that's why I didn't get to look at your site yet. I agree that it doesnt need to be tampered with too much. The text is well written and accessible. Personally I have a bit of a problem with so much blue - if you are an old bird like me tha blue text is a bit hard on the eys - and I fond the text on the menu buttons a bit hard to read. I much prefer the colour scheme on the blog - very easy to read and personally would have the same for both. The pictures loaded well for me but I would dress the rooms a little more - flowers, something on the kitchen work top , towels on the bed if you provide them. I would put lamps on too.

Hope that helps - these are just detailed criticisms as I liked the site.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Vera

A big welcome from me too. I've only joined in, because I agree with Enid 100%. I actually hate blue websites, blue is a cold colour and I don't think it's welcoming. During the winter it may have an effect on how people perceive your website/property. Having said that, those websites which go overboard on the warm colours remind me of cheap holiday brochures. Perhaps a hint of a warm colour to balance the blue.

I too found both the print and especially the buttons hard to read.

Visitors to your website will only give you a couple of seconds of their time. If you don't get it right within that time, they won't stick around.

I do hope this is helpful and wish you good luck

Chianti
Vera

Post by Vera »

Thanks for the comments and welcome messages, I can't agree with the Blue being cold comments, I like the colour scheme but that of course is a matter of taste.

The ease of reading the navigation buttons is another point though. Obviously as I made the site I know what they say but if other people have a genuine problem with reading them I will change them.
I welcome as many views on them as possible, It is a fair amount of work to change them all but as i'm in the process of adding more Swedish and Spanish pages I guess now is the time to do it.

Vera
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Vera, I agree with your thoughts on blue. I like blue, and when used appropriately need not be "cold".

I understand that colour is often a matter of personal choice, but sometimes certain combinations of colours work better or worse than others.

Try, for example, making the text a darker or navy blue and it will contrast and stand out better on the blue background. I'd suggest that you stick to a dark blue that is already in use on the page and not invent yet another shade. Perhaps the same as the border on the buttons ? If that doesn't work on the cloudy background, you may wish to change both the text and the button border to the same dark blue/navy ?

Just some of my thoughts.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

IMO, blue does not have to be cold. We use blue text and a grey border and I still don't think it gives a cold feeling to the site ( tell me if you think different ). I agree with Richard, it's about balance.
Cheers
PC
Vera

Post by Vera »

Enid and Chianti I've made a small change to the buttons on the home and Villa pages, any better? I'm going to add a load of new pages so your comments are very welcome to avoid loads of changes later.
Paul you have a very nice site i only popped in to check your colours and got stuck there, I may nick some ideas! I spent a short time in Corsica a few years ago and loved it.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Vera, I think I would swap the rollovers so the dark blue one is the rollover state (if you see what I mean :) )
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Vera

Post by Vera »

tree-peony, sounded a good idea, I tried it, but it made the site look a bit bland.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

fair enough... it IS one of those things you have to actually see :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!