HIJACKED WEBSITE ?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
danglar

HIJACKED WEBSITE ?

Post by danglar »

Hello.
How can I stop pop ups from opening when my cottage website is visited ? Anybody knows how to rid of this problem ?

http://www.maison-rene.co.uk

I self built my website a few years back. Do you think it needs updating , refreshing ? Do you know of security measures that I cn incorporate in it ?

Your opinions would be greatly welcome.

Thanks and regards

Danglar
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Danglar,

I didn't get any pop-ups at all - is it possibly the security system on your own computer that's the problem?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I got a couple that were blocked :(

Can I suggest you check the coding to see what's going on?
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had some blocked pop-ups too.
marcus

Post by marcus »

There is javascript code at the bottom of your page which looks like it could be responsible. presumably you can remove it if you can access the html?

Do you have free hosting...perhaps your hosting company has added the popups? if so you might need to change hosts.
eldrep

Post by eldrep »

Hi Danglar

Firefox is blocking a pop-up when I view your site. I'm not a web expert like some others on here though so afraid I can't help you out with that!

As for the style of the website, I think the place looks really pretty but the page is rather busy - it's hard to know what bits you should read next! Also you have to read through quite a bit of text to find out how many people the place can sleep - perhaps a short, snappy intro at the top would be a good idea and make the pics a bit bigger.

Also, I see you've got a lot of Comic Sans font in there. It probably just me being weird, but I can't abide this font (sorry!). I think the page would look much neater and easier on the eye if you stuck to one or two text colours and just one font, with the odd bit of bold text where you want something to stand out.

Good luck with sorting those pop-ups!

Cheers
Sonia
danglar

Post by danglar »

thanks for the advice Sonia.
I have revised the website and changed the fonts and it certainly looks much easier to the eye to read !

I go back on the subject of the Hijacking: it appears that the guy sending spams is using an enquiry/reservation form that I uploaded. I thought I had found the solution by erasing not just that page but a few others with a similar form and changed the links to an email address instead of a webform.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be working.
How can he use the www....... that links the formpage to my email address if the formpage is no longer there ????!

My concern is not receiving the spams but the fear the spammer may get my website banned.

regards
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

your pop up is caused by the javascript at the end of your page

see here for some explanation
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=124470
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

The popups are from the stats counter that you're using (nedstatbasic or motigo as they're now known). It displays adverts which have a nasty tendency to look like they're a virus.

The easiest thing to do is to change it. I use statcounter.com which doesn't have ads and is a lot more powerful in terms of providing you with stats.

I'd be inclined to retake the photos too when you get the chance as the larger ones are looking very blocky from here.

Arnold