We Need to Target Germany

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Wol

We Need to Target Germany

Post by Wol »

I get quite a few press releases at work and thought this one might be of interest. It came from a Geo(graphical) Marketing Research Company who do a regular newsletter that always has a catchy feature to do with useful geographically based information.

Anyway, apparently Germans are predicted to have 700 euros each more disposable income in 2008 than they did in 2007. Their purchasing power is growing faster than inflation, particularly in South Germany and the areas around towns and cities, but the new federal states continue to catch up.

Bavaria (hi Margaret :D ) is an oasis of affluence, with the average Bavarian having 10% more purchasing power than other Germans.
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Yes, all this is true. This does not, necessarily, make them the holy grail of holiday rental businesses. However, non German locations will almost certainly do better appealing to German holiday makers than we do (too many expect German holiday accommodation to be cheap and not at all cheerful - ours is expensive and cheerful!). Having said that, we never managed to let our UK house to Germans, but then it was in a completely unknown location!

They are certainly very careful how they spend their money on holiday, so best not to think that all that money is available for holidays in up market villas. Most of their spare income is spent on their houses and their cars.

I wish I could say that I know the best websites for promoting to Germans. We are at a disadvantage in this in that we are IN Germany. Our best source of German bookings is the local village site and the area booking system that it is linked with.

One thing which is good about Germans is that they don't seem to have any prejudices about where to take their holidays - any country is good if it has sun or nature. History is not quite such a strong draw, although they appreciate British historical sites.

I am more than happy to help where I can. My German is fluent but not accurate enough for doing translations. Although I can spot a bad translation!