UK Broadband Connection info needed

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
centime

UK Broadband Connection info needed

Post by centime »

Can anyone help with some information about installing broadband in the UK. I need to go back to my house in Scotland for a couple of months and would like to install a broadband or ADSL connection coupled with free UK phone calls, keeping my original number. We have just got a great deal here in Lisbon so there must be some equivalent deals in the UK. The Scottish house is my late parents, now mine so I did not keep the TV so don't need this part of a deal, but would like to have the phone and broadband as I would be great to get over for a couple of months to do some maintenance work without jeopardizing taking the bookings at the beginning of the year. Any suggetions would be great.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Is the property rural or city based?
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
centime

Post by centime »

The house is in a small town - Maybole in Ayrshire Scotland, and it does have broadband access in the town. I did do an online search via the post code so see which companies would give me the best deal but all included the TV service. When I was there for 10 weeks over the summer I did have dial up on demand installed via BT but is was so slow that I gave up inserting the enquiries on my online management software it took so long - like go boil a kettle for a cup of tea while it opens - slow!! I do know that not all providers service my post code area though, never the less I still would have to sign up for a full 12 month of service, this would maybe okay as I do pay for the BT phone rental every month, this has gone up from £12.50 to £22.00 just because I have been using the line for the 10 weeks from my last visit. No one seems to a pay on demand service.
LaVilleauTady

Re: UK Broadband Connection info needed

Post by LaVilleauTady »

centime wrote:Can anyone help with some information about installing broadband in the UK.
Hi centime, we have switched from a BT and a seperate broadband provider to TalkTalk and have saved a packet.
You pay the rental to them and they give you mostly free UK calls, as well as European countries on my package, and throw in the broadband for FREE, and this is all at a rate less than what we paid BT alone. BUT you will have to watch out for the minimum contract period clause.

You will need to check to see if the Scottish number can be converted at the TalkTalk web site.

Some good places for advice are:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
http://www.adslguide.com/

Martin.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

and no chance of cable i suspect :(
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
centime

Post by centime »

Thanks Martin I will check this out over the weekend. We just got a great deal here in Lisbon - 8mg broadband + free wireless router/modem + free nationwide PT phone calls + set top box & recording facilities with cable digital TV - all for 50 euros a month! And that is only 2 euros more than we were paying just for the 4mg broadband last year! :lol: So I am now on the look out for the best deal in the UK. Checked out TalkTalk but no free broadband in my area yet but Tiscali might be an option. Thanks again.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!