Roy's Cabin By The Lake

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Roy's Cabin By The Lake

Post by Guest »

Here's the site I built for my own rental.

royscabin.com

It's been really successful. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Roy

Shooting from the hip (but hoping you'll see these observations in a positive way - It's much easier to be critical than it is to do something!!)

Home page

I don't like the mixture of edges on the pictures here or elsewhere on the site - I think it's a bit distracting. Personal taste of course

The spacing between items and sections seems a bit erratic.

Amenities

I found this almost impossible to take in - you might want to consider highlighting your headings in some way and maybe changing the layout so the groupings are rather more obvious

Photos

Maybe you might consider a thumbnail gallery? There's an awful lot and they are quite big.

Exterior of cabin?

Is that it above the "Click here for more photos" link?

If so then I presume that winter scene of a house at the top right and left of home page is not in fact the cabin - if thats the case it's a bit misleading.

Apart from that it's simple, straightforward and does the job nicely - I like the idea of the booking with 24 hour hold - how do you do that then?
Best wishes

John

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks John, I am very open to constructive criticism. I will actually update my site to make it more appealing. All the pictures are of my cabin. I will make it more clear.

The 24 Hour pending reservation work great! Most people are searching and need to ask others. It encourages them to come back, but even if they don't, I have there contact information for next time and it will send a reminder to the guest before it automatically cancels.

Your log mobile

Post by Guest »

John, I really like your Log Mobile. Where did you buy it? I have another property that isn't doing very well because it's an older mobile home.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Hi Roy. Just a few comments. I don't mind the edges on the pictures, but you do need to choose one format and stick to it, rather than changing the frames. The one I think works best is the the second one on the Home page - the one of the view.

I think your home page needs to specify how many the cabin will sleep, and in how many bedrooms.

Good luck with the rentals,

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Roy

The cabin came from a company called Reiver Lodges based in Cumbria UK

Best wishes

John
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi Roy

Topcat made some good points and I haven't much to add on those issues. I do have a comment about the Activities page though.

It may be more consistent to list each of the activities and attractions together with a link, rather than having a long list of links with no explanation of what they are. Does that make sense? For example if I wanted to go white water rafting or kayaking, how would I find out where this was?

There's nowhere that tells me where the cabin is. I guess it is in California but it's a big state! A map would be nice as well.

Apart from that it looks a great place with lots to do. I like that you have lots of photos too.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

I forgot to mention that your Activities page has a link to a 2006 Events Calendar.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru