How quickly do you answer email enquiries?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Christine Kenyon

How quickly do you answer email enquiries?

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I love the thrill of the chase - getting an enquiry, answering it, trying to convert it and hopefully getting a booking. And I thought I was pretty on the ball when it came to answering emails. I usually check 4-5 times a day.

Got an enquiry today at 12.17. Answered by 12.59 (would have been earlier but I was answering LHM threads!!) .... yes we can do it. I'ved got you in my sights. Got a reply at 13.13 to say he had booked with someone else who had answered more quickly!!

Wow!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

How amazing.

I have a Blackberry so can answer enquiries at any time. Also am on the computer for the day job usually all day Monday-Friday. I usually reckon to answer within an hour. I often answer quicker but it would never have occurred to me that an hour would be too slow.

If people are going to decide that quickly and on the basis of one reply, I think there is not much you can do. I think that is the exception. Much more common are those who send of a load of enquiries and then don't check their emails for 2 days because they didn't think anyone would answer quickly, which can be very frustrating for us.

On the whole, I prefer to take a little time to think about my reply and work on it.

I usually find that people commend me on having answer quickly if I have replied with 5-10 hours.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'd say 90% of the time within minutes. Due to the fact I work all day at the PC and I have phone alerts for incoming messeges - so if I can get to my pc I reply.

However we do have the issue of the rental sites stacking enquiries (there was a thread on it somehwere). It's not an issue with me as I didn't think immediate replies mattered - here's a case that proves me wrong! :wink:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Within about 10 minutes normally.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Christine,
I answer quickly, usually, and I do think it can make a difference :wink: ..but you definitely werent slow.
we did discuss it here,
viewtopic.php?p=74099#74099

I think it was 'Owners Direct' Mousie that stacked them ,which i wasnt aware of before :roll: ..
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Mouse wrote:However we do have the issue of the rental sites stacking enquiries (there was a thread on it somehwere). It's not an issue with me as I didn't think immediate replies mattered - here's a case that proves me wrong! :wink:

Mousie
x
I have the text message alerts from listing sites and They appear to be sent immediately and not stacked as the emails are. I've just answered an enquiry 20 mins before I got the email from Owners Direct. I had to log in to my account o find the enquiry!

Which leads me on to my next question:

Of the people who routinely answer email enquiries by telephone, what do you do if the enquiry come through late in the evening?

Do you phone anyway (and do you have a cut off time)
Do you save until the morning?
Or do you answer by email immediately?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I've made four email enquiries today, only one has answered! Think I might recommend LMH to the other 3!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Of the people who routinely answer email enquiries by telephone, what do you do if the enquiry come through late in the evening?
Do you phone anyway (and do you have a cut off time)

cut off time is 9pm their time, otherwise no.

Do you save until the morning?

no

Or do you answer by email immediately?

yes

Christine's example seems extraordinary. I have never not been their first phone response, which tells me that most people don't respond internationally by phone at all.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Given the time difference between here and the UK, yes, we routinely get email enquiries after we have gone to bed (10pm local time). I may see them if I can't get to sleep and see the Blackberry flashing but, no, I don't reply to them until the morning. I reckon people send off an enquiry (or a booking as last night) late at night and then close the computer down!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I've made four email enquiries today, only one has answered! Think I might recommend LMH to the other 3!
:lol: :lol:
Its surprising isnt it :o , but it helps the others of us who are quick to answer,to get the bookings so thats summat :wink: ....
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

I usually reply within minutes if I am on the laptop; otherwise, as soon as I log on. I'm often amazed at the amount of people who don't respond quickly, but where we are in Ontario, there is a massive demand for properties in the summer, that is not matched by the supply. It makes owners complacent.

Out of season, the tables turn and its very much a buyers market. My view is that if I've already made an impact by responding promptly for their high season request, I'll be the first one they come to for the off-season booking.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

When I switched on my laptop this evening, there was a reply from a b&b I was trying to book for next Friday evening, it was almost a week since I contacted them, and I have long since booked a hotel instead. However, at least they have responded the remainder didn't.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Occasionally I have chased someone up who has not responded to my enquiry. The response I usually get is: 'we are full. If we had had vacancies, I would have replied to you.'

What we have never figured out is: what is the magic point beyond which you are supposed to know that they have not responded because they are full.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

'we are full. If we had had vacancies, I would have replied to you.'
What they really meant Margaret was
''As we were full we decided we couldnt be bothered answering you, as we wouldnt have gained anything ..If we had vacancies we would have done..[if we felt like it] :roll: ''
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Yes. But my ESP is a bit weak. How am I supposed to know this?