Photos

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Paul Carmel

Photos

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

This might be pie in the sky, Is there a way you can convert a normal digital photo into a panoramic photo with out losing the perspective?
Cheers
PC
Wol

Post by Wol »

Paul

PM the Wizard - he may be able to help you.
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Is there a way you can convert a normal digital photo into a panoramic photo
Crop the picture top and bottom?

Jim
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you both, and if the Wizard is looking in, is it possible to make the following into a panoramic shot? Since you did not ask, it is the local beach.

Cheers
PC
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Paul, I'm puzzled as to what you're trying to achieve. If you crop top and bottom, you'll get a panoramic-shaped picture. If you stretch the image with photoshop or other software tools, you'll get a wider but distorted image (the people will look like day-trippers from Weight Watchers). If you re-shoot, using a special panoramic camera or join a series of shots, you'll achieve a truer panoramic image without distorted perspective but, obviously you can't do this ...?

Jim (Puzzled from the Perigord)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Puzzle ye not, if you look at our site you will see we use panoramic shots under each heading on each page and what I am trying to find is a gizmo that will convert this into a panoramic shot without distortion to use on the home page.
Cheers
PC
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Paul,

If you look at my site I have done the same thing with the banner at the top of the page. I'm currnelty making a new site where this banner will change from page to page.

I just used Google's Picasa. They have a crop function which has worked fine. It's a free download.

Cheers
Kersh
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Paul, I think in the words of the wise, if thats what you want, you are probably starting form the wrong place.

On the other hand, with some deft cheating, what about this:

** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

How's this for a first-draft very quick effort:

EDIT:
Oops, looks like Richard and I were both working on the same thing at the same time, from different angles!!!
Richard, I did think about doing what you did, i.e. cloning the foreground up a bit, and I think it does work well.
I approached it from a different angle, i.e. stretched it then cloned out the weightwatchers :lol:

I think they both look good - maybe my one is a bit too much of a cheat, but not having been there, I can't comment...
Last edited by Normandy Cow on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Spot on Richard! Now, pray tell how...........
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

A, you have zapped my sun bathers............. is this your photoshop trickery?
Cheers
PC
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Ho ho, two very different approaches. I actually like both.

What I did was cut out the bottom half at the tree line then moved it up a fair bit. Cropped top and bottom and then stretched the whole thing just a tad to match the width of the website. My minimal stretching didn't seem to add too much weight to the sun bathers, so I just left them alone.

The power of "PhotoShop" (or in my case PaintShop Pro, but I have both)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Paul Carmel wrote:A, you have zapped my sun bathers............. is this your photoshop trickery?
You want sun bathers? You got sun bathers...

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I prefer the ones with sunbathers. There aren't too many, they aren't fat and it makes the beach look as though it hasn't got danger signs all over it that make it impossible to use. The one without sunbathers has a strange mark in the water where the paddlers were, which could be a shark...
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you both! Richard of the two (Paint or Photo) which do you find easier to use? I have photoshop elements, but I really haven't fully explored it.
Cheers
PC