Paypal - UK card with Non-uk address

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Ju

Paypal - UK card with Non-uk address

Post by Ju »

I am trying to rent an appartment in Paris for the school holidays.

I've got it all booked but need to pay by paypal. But Paypal won't accept my UK credit card with my french address. This is the correct billing address for the card - and no one else seems to have any problems with it - Just Paypal.

Any Suggestions??
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ju, they accept my French card with a UK address.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have 2 paypal accounts, one for my French account and one for my UK account because I had the same problem. I also have the problem when I buy on line from certain companies - unless the billing address matches the card (or country card is issued in) it isn't accepted.
A-two

Post by A-two »

One of the ways that people evade tax and launder money is to set up a bank account in a foreign country, then use the credit card to draw cash out of local ATM machines. Not suggesting that anyone here is doing that, but it could explain why Paypal have a policy against accepting any cards with a foreign billing address. Purchasing a product online would not have the same restrictions - it's the transfer of cash across country borders that is the problem.

I know this doesn't help you, sorry, no suggestions other than get yourself another CC, maybe even a Paypal credit card, they can hardly refuse to accept that!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have two Paypal accounts too, but it still doesn't explain why they still accept my French card with it's UK address. It's a debit card though not a CC so perhaps that's why
cc

Post by cc »

yes, it's the difference between a credit card and a debit card. I have various cards from the UK, Germany and Spain and the UK credit card is virtually unusable online. Most websites expect the card to have a country of origin address, fine for most people but not someone like me who moved around a bit. Debit cards take the money directly from the account so in the minds of the accountants are more trustworthy!
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Ju

Post by Ju »

I've tried putting in my debit card - that doesn't work either.

I'm so frustrated. I want to pay for this trip with some money we have in the UK account. I need to pay this deposit in the next couple of days or I will loose the booking. If I wait to do a transfer before I pay with my french card it will be too late.

Why is it so difficult???
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ju, have you contacted your credit card company about the problem?
Ju

Post by Ju »

I've just spoken to Paypal - and there is no way to add a UK card onto my Paypal account.

I live in France therefore my account is with paypal.fr. I cannot open any other account because I live in France.

Paypal.fr will not accept a card that is not in Euros, and that is not from a French bank.

I can use the card in the supermarket, in my loacl garage etc, but not on the WORLD wide web (at least not with paypal).

I now risk going overdrawn on my French account (not allowed) as this is the only way I can pay.
JulieR

Post by JulieR »

Just read your posts with interest as I have been unable to update my credit card on Paypal. Seems I have the same problem as the credit card is from a uk provider but billed here in France. It was all working fine though until the card expired and it will not accept the new one, saying the address does not match the billing address, even though it is exactly as printed on my credit card statements!! How did you manage to speak to someone, I have sent loads of e-mails to customer services but have had no reply and when I tried the helpline number the recorded message stated that my call would be answered in less than 10 minutes!! Think this is a con just to keep people waiting and paying! I didn't wait. I have two paypal accounts the same as some others, one to my credit card and the other to my french bank account, so looks like I will have to pay out of that. So frustrating! If anyone manages to sort anything out can you post or I ever get a reply from them I will post.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, I have a paypal.co.uk account and a paypal.fr, so you can have two! I have my UK debit card with a UK address and my French CB with my French address.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a French PP account, and a Uk one, and I think Brooke has two as well. You need to register them with different usernames and email adressed though.
JulieR

Post by JulieR »

Hi,
We do have two accounts with different e-mail addresses but both the home addresses are the same, our French address. How can you have a card with a uk address on it? Unless you don't live in France, I suppose. :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

JulieR wrote:Hi,
We do have two accounts with different e-mail addresses but both the home addresses are the same, our French address. How can you have a card with a uk address on it? Unless you don't live in France, I suppose. :roll:
Just use a member of the family or friends UK address. The address for my UK account is my parents house.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

JUlie, my French account is linker to my FRench bank account and debit card (UK address), and my UK account to my Uk account and cards.