Guide dogs

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Christine Kenyon

Guide dogs

Post by Christine Kenyon »

A bit of dilemma .....

Had an enquiry for a 4 night break in March. We can do it! Got quite excited and answered email accordingly.

Have now had a reply to say that they would like to book it. But my husband has a guide dog who will bring its own bed to sleep in.

We don't take dogs and say so on our website. Am I OK to turn this booking down on the basis we don't take dogs ... or is this a disability/access issue and I could be lambasted ... am I being too sensitive ..... or should I delay answering and say we're booked ..... and wait for one of her friends to enquire about the same dates ....

Dilemma. Would welcome good ol' LHM advice! :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, I've always accepted dogs and have never had any accidents or damage. I'm sure that guide dogs would be better behaved than the normal family pet and would not sleep (or pee) on the furniture. If you are worried, say that you don't normally accept dogs, but would be prepared to in this case, however, you will need to take an extra security deposit. In my experience dogs do far less damage than children and guide dogs are labs who have shorter/less hair to moult than some other breeds (like my border collie, for example).
Martha

Post by Martha »

On the discrimination issue, I couldn't advise, (though doesn't pretty much everywhere allow them?) but guide dogs are immaculately behaved, I'd have no problems with accepting one.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I would agree with La Vache. I would take a larger deposit and also tell them that you have never had someone who is blind can they tell you more about the dog. Ask them more about their needs etc.

If you think you can help them, then it's a shame not too.

Chianti
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I agree with Firebug..they are very well trained and I would accept them..
Maybe ask for a larger deposit if it worries you... :)
A-two

Post by A-two »

Christine,
I have this T shirt, but can only give you the US perspective. The situation here is that it is against the law to refuse a booking which includes a dog for the blind even if you have a no pets policy, which we do. I have been in your situation and here's how I handled it.

We explained that we have no problem accepting the dog, and that we would love to accommodate them, but if they went ahead with the booking, we would need to inform subsequent renters and offer them the opportunity to cancel. When they asked why, we explained that some people with allergies are very careful to choose a property with a no pets policy and we don't always know unless asking them. As it happened, I already knew the people that would be moving in the day the guide dog checked out included an asthmatic child. The father had double checked about our pets policy before booking and was most insistent he did not want his daughter in any house where there had been pets. (this is true, I am not making it up).

The people with the blind dog were extremely nice, did not want to cause trouble, understood our situation perfectly and would find somewhere else. I only wish I could have accommodated them.

Also, many years ago, I actually had a tenant have an allergic reaction to a previous tenant's pet (this was a long term rental, not a vacation rental). Even though the house had been cleaned professionally throughout (unfurnished as well), still it took two more professional carpet shampoos over a 3 day period to get rid of it. So I know that it;s not possible to get rid of pet dander completely during a normal changeover of 4 hours. If you don't have carpet, it's not so much of a big deal, but even so, I wouldn't risk it - hence I would still check with subsequent guests if they have any pet allergies before going ahead.

If you do decide to go ahead, I would have them sign a separate pets policy, and take an extra damage deposit, which is routine here for anyone who does accept pets, so you would not be discriminating against them by insisting they do the same as any other pet owner.

What I would never do is tell them you are already booked when clearly it's not true. People are not stupid and you may damage your reputation unnecessarily. There's really no reason for you to lie anyway, you have genuine concerns for the comfort and safety of all your guests, not only someone who is blind.

Hope this helps.
Christine Kenyon

Thank you - again! - to everyone for the helpful advice.

Because of the layout of the cottage they have booked, I have gone ahead with the booking, but included some extra conditions which they (and hopefully the guide dog!) are happy with.

The cottage has a conservatory and an "internal hall" which have either a wooden or tiled floor. I have therefore specified that the dog can only have access to these two rooms and must always come into the house via the conservatory. They seem more than happy with this. And as we live across the road from the cottage, we can keep a discrete eye on them :wink: .

I also used the opportunity to explain in more detail the layout of the cottage and where there are some unexpected steps so hopefully they feel cared for as well (thank you, Chianti)!

I haven't charged any extra and, unusually, am hoping that they won't want to book for another week!!!!

Anyway, thank you everyone.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Christine,

For any future such enquiries - in the Uk like the US you cannot decline a guide dog booking because you have a no dogs policy- guide dogs are exempt from such policies. A2 solution was neat though! hope it all works out and I'm sure it will!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Christine Kenyon

Thanks, fibi - you've confirmed what I suspected.

My worry is if they want to book again. I am thinking of giving them the leaflet for our neighbour's cottages as they do take dogs, but am going to wait until I've met them and had chance to talk to them.

I'll let you know how it goes!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Christine Kenyon wrote:My worry is if they want to book again. I am thinking of giving them the leaflet for our neighbour's cottages as they do take dogs, but am going to wait until I've met them and had chance to talk to them.
Christine, you already have all the answers, no need to worry. I'm sure that they will be happy with referrals.
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

Re: Guide dogs

Post by ravetildon »

You are required to accept them. Now that you posted this on a public forum, you definitely should accept them. :)

There are ways to get around taking a guide dog, but really I would just take them.

here a great document on laws:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/animal.htm
Christine Kenyon wrote:A bit of dilemma .....

Had an enquiry for a 4 night break in March. We can do it! Got quite excited and answered email accordingly.

Have now had a reply to say that they would like to book it. But my husband has a guide dog who will bring its own bed to sleep in.

We don't take dogs and say so on our website. Am I OK to turn this booking down on the basis we don't take dogs ... or is this a disability/access issue and I could be lambasted ... am I being too sensitive ..... or should I delay answering and say we're booked ..... and wait for one of her friends to enquire about the same dates ....

Dilemma. Would welcome good ol' LHM advice! :roll:
Ju

Re: Guide dogs

Post by Ju »

ravetildon wrote:You are required to accept them.
That depends on which contry the property is in - not all countries have the same rules as the US!! :D
ravetildon

info

Post by ravetildon »

yea, I was referring to US laws. I think a lot of European countries have similar laws? Any sites where you can find out about other countries laws?
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

We welcome pets in our cottage and have had several guide dogs stay. However, I have a friend who rents her cottage and she is highly sensitive and allergic to pet hair - to the point she has been hospitalised after staying in a hotel room where a dog had been. Because I have a dog of my own, I have to be really careful when I go see her and make sure I don't have any hair on my clothes. Her property is advertised as a pet free zone and she rents regularly to people with similar allergies.

It had never crossed my mind that a blind person might request a booking in her property and she may be accused of discrimination if she turned them down. I checked the Ontario Access Laws which says the following:
A dog guide user is also guaranteed the right to equal housing accommodations, and no special terms or conditions can be imposed because of the dog's presence.
Where does this leave my friend and her 'pet free' zone? Any suggestions?
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
ravetildon

info

Post by ravetildon »

Possibly in a load of hot water if someone wants to sue her. How often does someone with a guide dog or therapy dog ask to stay in you cabin tho?

I haven't had anyone ask & I think we've been renting around 8 years now? I forget...

Their are exceptions to the rule. I'd check with your attorney on it tho... Violating something like this has almost unlimited liability...