seasonal....yes or no

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.

is it worth it opening over winter and Christmas

yes
60%
no
40%

Total votes: 10

tansy

seasonal....yes or no

Post by tansy »

I am coming to the conclusion that in actual fact it may be better just to be open from say 1st April to end of October - then close up and stop worrying about discounted rates with resulting enormous heating costs, logs being delivered etc etc.

Perhaps not even to bother with the Christmas week....because that IS when they want to stay in with the heating on full, the oven going all day and the place lit up like a Christmas Tree!

What do you others think...I know it is different for some as you live on site - but in that case is it still worth having folk there in the winter especially Christmas time?
Fraise

Re: seasonal....yes or no

Post by Fraise »

tansy wrote:I am coming to the conclusion that in actual fact it may be better just to be open from say 1st April to end of October - then close up and stop worrying about discounted rates with resulting enormous heating costs, logs being delivered etc etc.

Perhaps not even to bother with the Christmas week....because that IS when they want to stay in with the heating on full, the oven going all day and the place lit up like a Christmas Tree!

What do you others think...I know it is different for some as you live on site - but in that case is it still worth having folk there in the winter especially Christmas time?

This is our first season,therefore I have no statistics to go on but we have already decided that with all the discounts that people seem to expect for out of season bookings, and we are simply not prepared to give,that we will close the house up for a time- maybe not as long as you suggest? I thought perhaps a couple of months? I think if I were here to look after it, then I would open for Christmas, but at a premium rate as costs are going to be very high!
paolo

Post by paolo »

For me, definitely! My centrally heated house costs less to heat than my underfloor electric one, but both still make a tidy return in winter.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

Can't help here. We have GREAT skiing in the winter, the golf course is open as long as there is not snow on the ground, and there is nothing better than enjoying a dip in the hot tub with in the clear night sky. We are actually looking into solar power to help pay the electric bill.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've been trying to figure out a way to make a winter letting period be successful -- and honestly I'm not sure how except to charge higher prices for the off-season and/or to leave utilities as extra.

....but thus far, no, it hasn't been worth it!
Brooke
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

In my case, I don't like the house to be empty for long periods - I am paranoid about being burgled! So, although I make marginal profit in the winter months, I am happy to stay open throughout the year. And as we are only 2 hours from Calais, we do get a lot of people coming over for "cozy logfire weekends" throughout the winter, which keeps the house warm and lived-in.
And finally, I am pleased to be able to continue to provide work for my cleaner and keyholder during the low season, which keeps them happy, as well as the village shop :)
So, financially, the answer to the poll is probably no. But overall, it is most definitely "yes".