All comments gratefully received

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
LCE

All comments gratefully received

Post by LCE »

Hi All,

We've just recently joined up and I am very interested in getting comments on my website from fellow owners. I've never done anything like this before and I think it's fairly basic, no moving parts. I'm not sure if I've got too much info i.e. too much text or just too much text and not enough information?

We're at www.lechardonecossais.com please take a look.

Lynne
Our mid-life crisis became a B&B!!
www.lechardonecossais.com
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi

I'm fairly new here too and have been blown away by how helpful members are to each other. This is such a great forum!

Your site's looking good although I found a few areas where I thought you might want to consider some changes. Bear in mind we all look at, and look for, different things.My perspective is from a Canadian who has never been to this area of France before.

The colours of the site are quite effective - it gave an immediate impression of Scotland and the thistle theme. The title at the top left was a bit lost on me though, and I am one of those who looks at that part of a web site first. It was not clear at first look what type of accommodation you are offering. I'd also suggest putting a photo 'above the fold' - the top part of the page so it can be seen on first opening the site.

I was immediately taken by the indoor swimming pool - that grasped my attention straight away! However, I found some of the photos to be a little stark. The third photo was more enticing and ambient. I noticed the outdoor photo showing the pool looked like an architect's image. I'd suggest putting a photo of the actual pool exterior as soon as you can.

You mention two living rooms but there are no photos of them - that might be helpful.

I liked all the information on activities but again would have enjoyed seeing more photos. Your links page was a bit confusing with the different boxes. Perhaps just text and links conforming to the rest of the site would be better.

I hope this is helpful - take what you wish and leave the rest!
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
remote

Post by remote »

Hi Lynne and welcome
Your house looks lovely. I agree, it would be nice to see some photos of the sitting rooms. Also it might just be me, but it feels a little cold - might be the snow that I can see through the windows! But it might be nice to have a few pics of outside on a glorious summer's day and some of the bedrooms with the windows open, letting in the country air.
I think the activities info is good - obviously lots to see and do and the pool is splendid.
have you thought of maybe giving a sample menu - to wet the appetite. :)
There are a lot of people on here who are a lot more experienced than me who I'm sure will give you loads of sound advice.
Good Luck
Mandy
A turkey is not just for Christmas
Ju

Post by Ju »

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch here (honnest) and anything we say is to try and help.

I'm afraid the first thin that struck me (or rather didn't strike me) is the photo of your hosue on the home page. In the photo it looks very ordinary, and having the car in the photo doesn't help.

This photo is of vital importance. People will make a split second decision on whether to keep reading on the basis of this photo, it has to show your house in the best light possible.

Get a digital camera and take hundreds of shots from all different angles and then choose the best - that is not the one you think looks the most real - the one which would make you want to stay there.

The same goes for the other photo on the home page. No matter how much money you spend on advertising if your photos are no good you won't get the bookings.

I think the indoor pool will be a major pull so a photo of this should be on the front page as well.
LCE

Post by LCE »

Thanks for the nice comments so far and I know what you mean about the photos. Unfortunately the interior of the pool was only finished in mid October and the trees etc were already bare by then. The outside if being finished at the moment and as soon as the garden is blooming again I'll take some outside photos. It is an Architects impression but didn't want pictures of it half finished.

I'm really pleased that all comments are on the photos which I can fix fairly easily and as for the heading I'll change it straight away so it's clearer, thanks for that.

I think it's great being able to get so much advice and constructive criticism. We've never done anything like this before and unlike so many other career change paths, tourism accomodation seems to be so dependant on what, where, why, how, that's there's no definitive answers to any of the questions. Or maybe that's just France!

Lynne
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi LCE :) .
Just wanted to Welcome you to the Forum.
I thought your place looks lovely.
The Indoor Pool is great, and will make you stand out Im sure.

Theyre a great bunch on here, and im sure youll find all their advice useful, I know I have!!

Good Luck with your bookings.
kirkland

Post by kirkland »

The only thing I could suggest is that when you type your web address use a capital L C and E , it makes it more readable.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

wow - when I started clicking on the photos I saw what a really lovely place you have!!

that said...I don't know if I WOULD have clicked on the photos....I REALLY think you need to get rid of the exterior shot of the house on the first page until you can take a new one in nice sunny weather, with leaves on the trees and no car...it really does NOT do your lovely home justice and there are SO many other wonderful shots you can use instead!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I like the site in general but have to agree about the shot of the house. It's lovely from the inside but to be frank that stark exterior shot would have sent me straight on to the next web site.

Having spent the first 4 months of last year with a VERY wintery shot of our lodge I know and understand the problem BTW!

Otherwise it's all clean and tidy. but the framing around the room rates is a bit iffy in Firefox (OK in IE7). The purple exterior around the Clyde and Tay boxes is missing. Don't you just hate browser standards / lack of.

Best wishes

John
LCE

Post by LCE »

Thanks again everyone for your comments. I will change the house photo on the first page for one of the pool for now and as soon as the weather is better I'll get lots of outside shots. It's nice to receive the positive comments. I'll let you know when it's updated and you can have another look.

Lynne
boberry

Post by boberry »

Speaking for myself the photo of the front of the house needs blue skies and green leaves and some colour by the way of flowers-I know it's difficult at this time of year and I had to wait until last summer for mine, and it's still not perfect-just take a look at a good immobilier's site for examples
Good luck-the rest is fine!
home is where you lay your @
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,
Welcome to LMH!

I agree with the others who've said your photos are what need work. Most are lovely but I would definitely change the one of the house on the home page.
I also think you could move your main pic up the page a bit - I was opening up in a reduced (ie not full-screen) window and had to scroll down before I saw any photos. A sunny, attractive pic right up the top would catch the eye better. (you could just move one of your interior shots for now, while awaiting the sunshine!)

A note re the euro sign - I know some people put it after the amount but the correct format is before: €250.
Lounging on the lily pad...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Lynne,

Getting an attractive exterior shot of a “new build” house is always difficult until the property has had a chance to mature. I would take a picture of the house with the trees in full leaf and without the car. I know you can’t do it now but it will make all the difference in the long run.

Greenfrog,
A note re the euro sign - I know some people put it after the amount but the correct format is before: €250.
Is it really? Every communication I get from my French bank, from EDF, from SAUR, from France Telecom, from the Tresor Public and from the Hotel des Impots, to mention but a few, have the € symbol after the amount. Have all these French institutions got it wrong?

Alan
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Alan Knighting wrote:Lynne,

Greenfrog,
Is it really? Every communication I get from my French bank, from EDF, from SAUR, from France Telecom, from the Tresor Public and from the Hotel des Impots, to mention but a few, have the € symbol after the amount. Have all these French institutions got it wrong?

Alan
Alan, my FT and EDF do too (I just checked and was surprised!). But if you look at your chq book or credit card statements you'll see it's before the figures. That's the correct convention for the symbol. (the word comes after.)
That said, it's also the correct thing (according to the EU conventions on the euro) to pluralise with an 's' in English, yet it's rarely so in Ireland. Go figure!! We may all be Europeans but clearly we're damned if we'll all conform to one rule! :lol:

So long as it's legal tender, that's the main thing, eh?! :lol:
Lounging on the lily pad...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Greenfrog,
So long as it's legal tender, that's the main thing, eh?!
Wherever they stick the € sign, the £ sign or the $ sign doesn’t matter at all, they still want your money.

Alan