All comments gratefully received

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Hi Lynn, welcome to the Forum.

I think most of what I would say has been said; nice site, nice property, just needs a bit of tweaking.

I would like to reinforce Heather's comment, personally I'd put the logo in the left hand corner and have the title in the centre/right; when people hit a webpage research has shown that they look at the top left first, scan across the top & then move down the page.

Regarding the logo, I think it needs to be sharpened up a little; also, are you able to remove the white background?
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
LCE

Post by LCE »

Hi All,

Have now changed and updated our website and particularly changed the photo of the house on the front page to one of the pool. Can I ask all the very helpful people that offered their comments earlier to have another look and let me know what they think of the changes? Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynne
Our mid-life crisis became a B&B!!
www.lechardonecossais.com
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi Lynne

That pool is stunning!

I think now though that you have another problem - you've removed the pic of the house so now ee can't see what it looks like at all !!! (I know we can see the back of it in the pool pic.)

This is a hard one isn't it, but I think you have to show it, even after we've all been so horrid :wink: about it being a stark picture. We had a picture of our lodge with taken on the shortest day of the year with no stain on the deck for about 5 months or so. Looking back it looked horrible, but I still think it's better than not showing it, as people will otherwise think "What are they hiding". I really don't think you can have a rental ad without a photo of the front of the property being on page 1.

Just my 2 p worth :lol:

Somebody will contradict that in mo anyway so don't worry :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Hi Lynne,

Rather than go through your site in detail, I thought I'd give your homepage the 30 second scan that (apparently) most punters will allow. So lets assume I found you by doing a Google search on Bed and Breakfast Limousin or something like that.

There were three things that struck me.

1. Creuse sounds great but where is it precisely and how do I get there ?

2. What does the place look like from the outside ?

3. "Village House" provides a clue to the location, but I'd like to know a bit more about the village - large, small or just a hamlet. Are you on the edge or near the centre ? Are there shops and restaurants within walking distance or will I have to drive ?

These questions came to me while I was reading your homepage and I saw no immediate links to take me to the answers I was looking for. I'd suggest another lh menu item "our location" or something like that would cover the first two points, or maybe an FAQ page which you can add to as you get more feedback from LMH !

The indoor pool is going to sell the place for you, so certainly keep that photo on the homepage; but I'd really try to get at least three photos on there if you can. I think you could afford to drop the contact details down a bit and pop an exterior shot after the initial introduction. If people can see a bit of a photo on the screen, then they'll generally drop down to see the whole thing and then they'll see the contact details too. You have a clearly visible contact page anyway.

I hope this doesn't sound too critical - your place looks really lovely :D
LCE

Post by LCE »

Thanks for the comments, Windermere Lodge and Richard. I've now put the outside picture of the house back on the home page but under the "fold". Thanks for the input Richard but I'm not sure how best to incorporate your suggestions. I've tried to keep the first page as clear and crisp as I can but I may think of re-wording the menu. I had read that a website shouldn't have too many pages as it puts people off so I have location and contact info on the same page. Do you think I should make seperate pages for these?

I await your reply!
Lynne
Our mid-life crisis became a B&B!!
www.lechardonecossais.com
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Hi Lynne,

Have a quick look at our website and check out the "getting there" page. Showing the address is fine for people who are familiar with the area, but I always make the assumption that most people are first time visitors to the region, have no idea about it and aren't armed with a map !

You could move the French flag down a bit and squeeze in an extra menu item there. Most rental property sites have a "getting there" or "FAQ" section - some have both !
weardalebeka

Post by weardalebeka »

okay just my twopenceworth and feel free to ignore it :wink:

I agree about the exisitng house piccie looking a bit stark but why nto replace it with the Xmas one? I'd prefer to see a house in snow because then I know the 'cold' feeling is very specific for that time of year, plus it looks like a pretty shot.

I'm afriad the stuff about biking put me off, the rest of the activites sounded good but if I'd been doing the 'punter test' I'd have left the page before I got to it.

The facilities are good but they aren't the selling point, the area is what I'd come to see.

generally if you can continue to improve the photo's I'd say that would make a big difference, I'd really like to see some appealing picures of the area, maybe fewer of the pool. I like the fact that you have a pool, but after 2 shots I dont' need more! I'd like to see the famous fishing and beautiful countryside.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I'd agree with most of the above comment.

Sorry Lynne, I just found your "getting here" section - as you say, on your contact details. I wouldn't have expected to find it there, but I guess others might. I'd think to be on the safe side, yes give it a separate menu item. I'd only look at the contact page if I wanted to get in touch with you. I think checking out the location comes a bit before that. I'd maybe add a bit about actual distances from Limoges and Clemont-Ferrand too.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Until you can get some better exterior shots, I think you'd be better off replacing your home page shot of this

with this one

Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.